Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    So what is the union doing for the unemployed that their local MP couldn't do for free?

There's no threat of redundancy for the unemployed lol!
    Why do you think an MP would give or toss, or have any power even if they did?

Claimants unions are about solidarity - a recognition that you have collective interests in common with others in the same economic boat. They can provide advocacy and legal support in appeals against unfair decisions. Put pressure on jobcentre staff to treat claimants fairly. Politics is about much much more than MPs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    There salary- you could class them as middle class as they pay the higher rate for of tax-40p

Though you class warriors have very differing definitions of class
    Do they have any control over their own work? Do they hire and fire? Do they actually set terms and conditions? Does their income come from their own labour or the labour of others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleighG)
    I think that people who have a council house should share homes, for example if there was a two single women, one had a kid and the house had 3 bed rooms then why doesn't the single woman just have the spare room? It really annoys me when I see people my own age with a house funded by the council just because they can when 2 years ago we couldn't get a council house when my house was burnt down by an arsonist. I think this is somewhat unfair, you should put in for what you have.
    Would you want a stranger thrust into your house?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    If they needed it yes, uni students do it all the time. Of course to do something like that people would need to be CRBed but what stops people using rooms in homes?

ReputationRep:
    If they needed it yes, uni students do it all the time. Of course to do something like that people would need to be CRBed but what stops people using rooms in homes?
    You're living in a middle class bubble.

ReputationRep:
    You're living in a middle class bubble.
    Yeah I'm really middle class. My mums a single parent, she works as a cleaner for 12 hours a week, a receptionist and as a college mentor during term time yet we cannot afford a holiday. What makes someone "working class"?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm really middle class. My mums a single parent, she works as a cleaner for 12 hours a week, a receptionist and as a college mentor during term time yet we cannot afford a holiday. What makes someone "working class"?
    Yet here you are wittering on about students. Living in a bubble. Or maybe its your age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomctutor)
    Well its only £700 billion so I suppose it doesn't matter, different if its a few million in wrong payments in benefits!

Bonuses being paid to publicly owed bank, or any bank in receipt of QE money, in my books must account for every penny it spends on salary and remuneration- surely you don't seem to agree with this point!

If we don't have a job, through no fault of our own, we are entitled to a descent subsistence level support without all of this sanction and welfare penalty rubbish. I mean what's the point of the welfare in the first place may as well just stop it all and every man for himself eh!
    I agree to an extent, they should make public their spending, but that doesn't mean you should have a say on how they spend.

So long as you live by the laws of society then you are owed enough to live to be sure. You are not owed a job by anyone though. Infact, I'd say that if you are out of work for a long time then you eat through that debt society owes you, and you should be made to be useful. And very few people are able to stay out of work for a long time 'through no fault of their own.'

ReputationRep:
    Yet here you are wittering on about students. Living in a bubble. Or maybe its your age.
    Because I know how students live and that students share housing, does it make me middle class because I know whats going on in the world?

ReputationRep:
    Why not? these fools are on benefits, I don't think they're in a position to pick and choose where they live.

Pack them in a hostel like a can of sardines, hopefully they'll start thinking about earning for a living rather than relying on handouts.

ReputationRep:
    Capping household benefits at £26,000 a year is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The "Bedroom Tax" is not.

I also laugh whenever Labour present themselves as the guardians of a public NHS, considering the amount of inane PFI schemes they have pushed through since 1997, almost always resulting in huge financial losses.

ReputationRep:
    Because I know how students live and that students share housing, does it make me middle class because I know whats going on in the world?
    You're saying that a single woman with a kid should be made to take a complete stranger into their house. You're comparing this to students at same university living with their mates. You don't see a problem with this?

ReputationRep:
    You're saying that a single woman with a kid should be made to take a complete stranger into their house. You're comparing this to students at same university living with their mates. You don't see a problem with this?
    If a person has no history of anything against children I don't see why not. People need houses. Students don't always live with their mates, not at first to most people they are strangers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Capping household benefits at £26,000 a year is perfectly reasonable, in my opinion. The "Bedroom Tax" is not.

I also laugh whenever Labour present themselves as the guardians of a public NHS, considering the amount of inane PFI schemes they have pushed through since 1997, almost always resulting in huge financial losses.
    Jesus Christ if they are now capping it at £26k what the hell was it before that?! Personally I believe that benefits should only provide the bare necessities - not a comfortable life, as otherwise it is not encouraging people to go out and get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GulfArab)
    Why not? these fools are on benefits, I don't think they're in a position to pick and choose where they live.

Pack them in a hostel like a can of sardines, hopefully they'll start thinking about earning for a living rather than relying on handouts.
    Don't know if your just being satirical here!

Them fools of course meaning "us", you and me when we need help out of work or in-work benefits (25% adult population according to latest DWP figures).
    So here's the scenario, you lose your job or are on a low paid employ and can't afford the rip-off rent, have your HB cut right back- forced to move to some other part of the country for a smaller home- hunt for a job again - two weeks later repeat the process all over again- stuck in emergency hostel, family brake up- . What the f#! society are you aiming to create Orwell?
    Who's giving out these "handouts" - they are known as entitlements

ReputationRep:
    If a person has no history of anything against children I don't see why not. People need houses. Students don't always live with their mates, not at first to most people they are strangers.
    Maybe when you have kids, you'll understand.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe when you have kids, you'll understand.
    Don't be so patronizing.

ReputationRep:
    So a single mum raising 2 children in a 3 bedhouse, when one moves out she wil lhave to pay money for the empty room? even though its her home she has been given it? that sounds so ****ing stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dartanoir)
    Jesus Christ if they are now capping it at £26k what the hell was it before that?! Personally I believe that benefits should only provide the bare necessities - not a comfortable life, as otherwise it is not encouraging people to go out and get a job.
    Do you realise there will never ever be enough jobs to go around? there will always be people that struggle to find work even though they try there hardest as the jobs do not match the amount of people looking for employment?

ReputationRep:
    Please let me know where you live and i'll send down some destitute characters whom need an urgent room, of course i'll assume you have one spare- never mind the kitchen floor will do - you can claim £26k for each one I send down.
    Can't be too picky though I mean don't ask about references or anything rather shady chaps -they can't seem to manage on £70! Some may have some drug or illness problem, but don't ask - just fill in the forms what you say - go on be a good citizen - spare a room!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.