Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BREAKING: Philpott jailed for just 15 years... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    Can someone explain to me how this is manslaughter and how he didn't intend to kill his children?
    Although I disagree with some of the comments you have made, I can see that unlike the OP you are engaging in serious comment.

Others have explained the technical difference between manslaughter and murder but there is also history here.

In the early 1970s Mrs Hyam set a fire in a house in very similar circumstances to this. 2 children died. She was convicted of murder and her conviction was upheld 3:2 by the House of Lords. However arguably there were five different reasons for the decision and the law ended up in a terrible mess. Through several later cases and until 1996 it remained in a mess. So much so that in the 1980s my entire first week's reading for my law degree was devoted to the issue raised in Hyam. I wasn't the only one. Generations of law students were brought on the problems of Hyam. Enormous sums of time and money were wasted and several later convictions were overturned. A case in 1996 more or less sorted the problems out.

When Philpott came round in very similar circumstances, I am sure the CPS considered:- "Never again. We are not going to try for a risky conviction for murder and spend the next 25 years dealing with the aftermath when there is a safe manslaughter conviction to be had."

ReputationRep:
    How can anyone still be arguing that this is murder (by lawful definition) there is no concrete proof or evidence that he intended to kill them, therefore if they tried to do him for murder there is a good chance he might not have gone to prison at all

ergo, trying to get him done for manslaughter got him the longest possible sentence. Just because this story is in the news and high profile doesn't mean he should be locked up and have the key throw away. 15 years in prison is still not going to be pleasant and even after this time he will have to apply for parole at the frail age of 71, it's pretty much a complete life sentence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/201...sts-murderers/

Just an article i ran across,

3 men murdered a child rapist, all individually received a higher sentence than Philpott.

The Justice system is truly broken.
    it's very reasonable they received higher sentences, in fact, I think they should receive a more clear higher sentence because it was an outright murder. The fact that they killed a convicted child molester does not change anything, so stopping using that to try to enrage anyone, murder is murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    Hey guys, just because it was manslaughter doesn't mean that 15 years is a fair enough sentence! He should have life without the possibility of parole. In America, 13 year olds get life without parole for 2nd degree murder. Why should this man get 15 years for ok... accidently killing his children. He set fire to his house, he knew they were in there and he didn't give a **** when they died.

And for people saying, "how will he be able to live with himself", "he needs rehabilitation".. He's a diagnosed PSYCHOPATH. Meaning he won't give a **** even in 10 years time. He may pretend to be but that'll be that. If anything his diagnosis will often mean "unsafe to be released as likely to re-offend" and so he may stay imprisoned.
    The only country on earth that give 13 and 14 year old boys life without parole sentences, also has the highest incarceration rate in the world. Even China does not have life without parole sentences for juveniles let alone 13 year old, USA is a pathetic country and its justice system is nothing to be envied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbieastoria)
    For starters the reason it's 15 years is because he wasn't convicted of murder it was manslaughter. Secondly it's not 15 years, he received a life sentence with a minimum of 15 years, that means he can't even begin to appeal to be let out on good behaviour for at least 15 years.

Whereas the other two people got 17 years even though they didn't start the fire this is because they didn't get a life sentence meaning that techniqully they could be let out on good behaviour in a manner of a few years

Although to be quite honest, I think all three of them will serve very long sentences and if they are let out early will have to change their identity, also they will probably cost less to keep them in prison than it will to keep them on all the benefits they were receiving

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sky news reported that both the wife and friend have to serve at least half that sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan-James)
    Just gonna put this into perspective, someone could walk into your house and stab you to death, receiving less than 10 years in prison. Tell me how you would truly feel about that without lying.

Truth is, people like you have no experience of what its like to lose someone to murder and see their killers get soft sentences. You would never understand the pain people like myself have gone through.

You just look at it from an outside perspective, Trying to play the equality man.
    The criminal justice system does not work on an eye-for-eye basis; its only preoccupation is the rehabilitation of offenders and the eventual protection of the public. It's not my opinion, it's just a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taintedCH)
    He was sentenced to life imprisonment. Unless he can prove he is rehabilitated, he will never be released. He would only ever be released on licence too. I don't know about you, but I personally do not like the idea of retributive justice. I think retribution is best left for the countries in which thieves have their hands cut off. In Britain the system tries the scavenge the most of what's left and try to rebuild as many lives as possible.

Were he to be executed, imagine how his family would suffer? He has 5 other children who, the crime aside, would likely not want to see their father die. This country is not soft on crime. We have an extremely high incarceration rate. Throwing people into prison does not solve the problems faced by society. You want to make people behave better? Raise people out of poverty and give them a decent education.
    Where I agree with some points you have said..what I have bolded isnt true. People of all social classes and educational levels do terrible unlawful things too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    Where I agree with some points you have said..what I have bolded isnt true. People of all social classes and educational levels do terrible unlawful things too.
    Yes, I agree entirely that education and wealth do not eliminate crime entirely. However, I would contend that they have the same effect on the crime statistics as the black death had on Europe's population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BANS2012)
    Better-off people tend to commit more 'socially acceptable' crimes like 'white collar crime' - evidence also shows that both police and courts are likely to be kinder to people who are visibly middle class, white, etc, even for the same types of crime.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.