Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protest against neg reps watch

ReputationRep:
    Giving your real life opinion is much more valuable than a pixel green dot.

so long as it adheres to the forum rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I know, honestly I don't know why that post of ISA's has been negged so much. She is actually right! Why apply to Oxbridge if you're then going to contemplate going elsewhere for the social aspects?
    As I say above, I think it's more how she said it - I find myself agreeing with her underlying point somewhat. Especially in the last paragraph, she came across as more than a little petulant and childish, as well as seeming to totally subscribe to the belief that any other university is absolutely worthless and everyone should be awed by the superiority of Cambridge. That sort of wanton elitism is obviously going to annoy a colossal number of people.

ReputationRep:
    I just post what I think and don't worry about rep, it doesn't actually make any difference.

(Original post by KingMessi)
    As I say above, I think it's more how she said it - I find myself agreeing with her underlying point somewhat. Especially in the last paragraph, she came across as more than a little petulant and childish, as well as seeming to totally subscribe to the belief that any other university is absolutely worthless and everyone should be awed by the superiority of Cambridge. That sort of wanton elitism is obviously going to annoy a colossal number of people.
    You're misinterpreting my post.

Where in that post did I say that "any other university absolutely worthless compared to Cambridge"?

OP was considering going to Manchester instead of Cambridge for social reasons only. He implied that he couldn't have a social life at Cambridge which is bull****. Also, if he didn't like the social aspect of Cambridge in the first place, why did he apply?

It's nonsensical. Unless you have a damn good reason one should not reject Cambridge. "Better social life at Manchester" does not cut it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You're misinterpreting my post.

Where in that post did I say that "any other university absolutely worthless compared to Cambridge"?

OP was considering going to Manchester instead of Cambridge for social reasons only. He implied that he couldn't have a social life at Cambridge which is bull****. Also, if he didn't like the social aspect of Cambridge in the first place, why did he apply?

It's nonsensical. Unless you have a damn good reason one should not reject Cambridge. "Better social life at Manchester" does not cut it.
    You'll note that I used the word 'seemed'. I realise, from this post and others, that you never stated such a belief outright and probably do not believe it. However, the way that you expressed that post implied that you did. 'The very thought of someone daring to reject Cambridge saddens me', or something of the sort. When you say 'daring', you imply that it is unaccountably audacious to reject Cambridge, suggesting that you didn't think much of any other university in comparison. Please realise that I was only discussing why that post might have received so many negative reps, and nothing else. You should also be aware that one doesn't need to say something outright for certain connotations to be drawn from what is said.

As it happens, I agree with you. I happen to think that three years of one's life really aren't much, when it is placed into perspective, and the frankly wonderful quality of education and resources at Oxford (and I presume Cambridge, but I haven't been so can't say) means that I would trade the stress and potential 'unhappiness' for the opportunities provided there. I'd also suggest that people wildly overplay their belief that one university will provide significantly more happiness than another, as a type of rationalization for making a particular choice.

Of course, I suppose that could be flipped on its head and people would argue that they know people who have had an awful time at a certain university, but anecdotal evidence is of negligible importance to the individual.

Anyway, I think the idea that the social life is better at places that aren't Oxbridge is nonsensical: as far as I can tell, everybody I know at Oxford has an agreeable social life and those people I speak to at Cambridge seem to have an excellent time. Yes, it's anecdotal but any discussion of the social life at respective universities is, in the majority of cases, going to be anecdotal because so few people go to both Oxbridge and a non-Oxbridge university.

(Original post by KingMessi)
    You'll note that I used the word 'seemed'. I realise, from this post and others, that you never stated such a belief outright and probably do not believe it. However, the way that you expressed that post implied that you did. 'The very thought of someone daring to reject Cambridge saddens me', or something of the sort. When you say 'daring', you imply that it is unaccountably audacious to reject Cambridge, suggesting that you didn't think much of any other university in comparison. Please realise that I was only discussing why that post might have received so many negative reps, and nothing else. You should also be aware that one doesn't need to say something outright for certain connotations to be drawn from what is said.
    OK, but my point still stands. Why should someone reject Cambridge for only social reasons? Answer: they shouldn't. Yes, it does sadden me that someone to reject the opportunity to study at one of the best universities in the world just to have a "better social life". Really now?
    As it happens, I agree with you. I happen to think that three years of one's life really aren't much, when it is placed into perspective, and the frankly wonderful quality of education and resources at Oxford (and I presume Cambridge, but I haven't been so can't say) means that I would trade the stress and potential 'unhappiness' for the opportunities provided there. I'd also suggest that people wildly overplay their belief that one university will provide significantly more happiness than another, as a type of rationalization for making a particular choice.
    :yep: Let's be honest, a person's social life is not dependent on the university. You make of it what you will. If anything you would get a better social life at Cambridge than in Manchester e.g. due to the collegiate system.

Of course, I suppose that could be flipped on its head and people would argue that they know people who have had an awful time at a certain university, but anecdotal evidence is of negligible importance to the individual.

Anyway, I think the idea that the social life is better at places that aren't Oxbridge is nonsensical: as far as I can tell, everybody I know at Oxford has an agreeable social life and those people I speak to at Cambridge seem to have an excellent time. Yes, it's anecdotal but any discussion of the social life at respective universities is, in the majority of cases, going to be anecdotal because so few people go to both Oxbridge and a non-Oxbridge university.
    Yep, I agree. What do you study at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-doc)
    I got neged for giving my opinion when others think differently
    Story of my life...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.