Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Your practical skills are also assessed throughout the year. Your teacher gives you another mark out of 12 for how safely you worked, how good some of your write ups to practicals were (if you did any) etc.
    I see - much clearer now. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For the f333 coursework, why are grade boundaries so high? I think it's 54/60 for an A, 90%? Surely an A for the coursework should be 80%, 48/60?

ReputationRep:
    So guys 17 days till f331 how you guys revising from this horrendous book? i am just reading over everything my teacher is boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LAZYABDI)
    So guys 17 days till f331 how you guys revising from this horrendous book? i am just reading over everything my teacher is boring.
    Do all past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    Do all past papers

Ye but forgot most of elements of life and developing fuels. so need to re read eveything

ReputationRep:
    ANYONE HAVE NOTES ON ELEMENTS OF LIFE AND DEVELOPING FUELS I NEED CONDENSED NOTES PLEASE THANKS! As soon as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    For the f333 coursework, why are grade boundaries so high? I think it's 54/60 for an A, 90%? Surely an A for the coursework should be 80%, 48/60?
    I've seen it and been told by teachers it's 51-ish?. And apparently because a lot of schools cheat, i.e. helping students way too much so they get really high marks inflating grade boundaries

And you're right fella, should be 80% raw= 80 UMS but for some reason it isn't. Especially since I got 47 which basically cancels out my A in F331 and means I need another A in F332, although tbh I think I needed one anyway it brings my UMS score down:mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Especially since I got 47 which basically cancels out my A in F331 and means I need another A in F332, although tbh I think I needed one anyway it brings my UMS score down:mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What did you get for the competence mark? Do teachers generally give everyone a 12 for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockHolmes)
    What did you get for the competence mark? Do teachers generally give everyone a 12 for this?
    Not ours, only got 10:mad:. Depends what school and how the teachers are tbh. Ask and i'm sure they'll tell you

On another note anyone breaking up for study leave? And when do you go back? Our wonderful school decided to send us back before all of our exams are over (inc. F332).....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Hope everyone's revision is going well!

I was just wondering if anyone had a copy or link to the F332 Jan 2013 paper? It might have already been posted and I missed it, apologies if so!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imym)
    Hi guys! Hope everyone's revision is going well!

I was just wondering if anyone had a copy or link to the F332 Jan 2013 paper? It might have already been posted and I missed it, apologies if so!

Thank you!
    Here!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 2013_F332_January (1).pdf (236.3 KB, 316 views)
  2. File Type: pdf 2013_F332_January_advance_notice.pdf (229.2 KB, 127 views)
  3. File Type: pdf 2013_Markscheme_January_F332.pdf (193.2 KB, 277 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    here!
    thank you :d:d:d

ReputationRep:
    In the Chemical ideas book (pg 33) about first ionisation enthalpy why is it more difficult to remove electrons from atoms across a period (I'm aware that its because more electrons are being added and so more protons creating a more positive nuclear charge) but why is it then easier to remove electrons down a group? because the mass also gets bigger? the graph on pg 34 has totally thrown me.

HELP PLEASE
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by blondie24)
    In the Chemical ideas book (pg 33) about first ionisation enthalpy why is it more difficult to remove electrons from atoms across a period (I'm aware that its because more electrons are being added and so more protons creating a more positive nuclear charge)
    Yup, because number of protons increase so the attraction between the nucleus and the electrons is stronger (stronger nuclear attraction). This means more energy is required to overcome the stronger forces of attraction, hence meaning the ionisation enthalpy increases across a period.

but why is it then easier to remove electrons down a group?
    The outer electron(s) get further away from the nucleus and there is more shielding from inner shells. As a result, there is less nuclear attraction for the outermost electron(s), making it easier to remove electrons.

Make sense?

ReputationRep:
    The outer electron(s) get further away from the nucleus and there is more shielding from inner shells. As a result, there is less nuclear attraction for the outermost electron(s), making it easier to remove electrons.

Make sense? [/QUOTE]

Yeah kinda, but don't the outer electrons get further away from the nucleus across a period also?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by blondie24)
    Yeah kinda, but don't the outer electrons get further away from the nucleus across a period also?
    Nope :nah: They actually get closer, if anything.

I'm guessing you're thinking that they get further because the atomic masses increase as you go across the period? Remember: as you go across a period, the number of electrons increase by one in the same shell. Also, the number of protons increase as you go across the period. The increasing positive nuclear charge therefore gradually increases so the electrons are attracted more and more strongly. This will pull the electrons slightly closer to the nucleus, so they don't get further away. :nah:

Make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Nope :nah: They actually get closer, if anything.

I'm guessing you're thinking that they get further because the atomic masses increase as you go across the period? Remember: as you go across a period, the number of electrons increase by one in the same shell. Also, the number of protons increase as you go across the group. The increasing positive nuclear charge therefore gradually increases so the electrons are attracted more and more strongly. This will pull the electrons slightly closer to the nucleus, so they don't get further away. :nah:

Make sense?
    OMG that makes so much more sense! thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have such issues with chemistry, I understand it but when it comes to revision the content refuses to stay in my head
    Do you have any advice please, I'm dreading my unit 1 retake and my unit 2 exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by writteninthestas)
    Hi guys, I have such issues with chemistry, I understand it but when it comes to revision the content refuses to stay in my head
    Do you have any advice please, I'm dreading my unit 1 retake and my unit 2 exam.
    Just do loads of past papers, you will begin to find that the questions are quite repetitive

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I remember speak to some of you from F331 in Jan. I hope you did well, I got 48/60 which is an A but for my course work I got 50 so I think that will be a B! I will have to smash this final exam now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.