Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    yeah the essay seems to be you probably got all the marks oh right , the bands' i drew a band on R1 just above the height of the 15 N and i drew R2 a bit more higher, cant visually describe

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGKhan)
    Meh I didn't like it so much and I think most found it easy in my school- some smoking, DNA replication and immune system would have suited me more :/ probably high grade boundaries now and I seem to do better at more difficult exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah, so annoying. I revised smoking, immune response and DNA replication like hell for the last week of revision and nothing came up! -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by na_li)
    I think it was supposed to be an enzyme, but enzymes are proteins, so let's hope the mark scheme is generous
    I think they said it was a protein in the question, that's why I wrote enzyme

ReputationRep:
    What did people write for the question to do with toxins and ethanol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh7171)
    What did people write for the question to do with toxins and ethanol?
    You had to say that when ethanol is broken down, it releases water, and this water breaks down the bond between the other GEM , cant remember the name sorry, but it breaks it down because it is a condensation reaction, and it is broken down by hydrolysis (water)

ReputationRep:
    I thought the question was along the lines of "why can D... and Ethanol" both be acted upon by the enzyme alcohol somethingase.
    I wrote something like

-They both have the same OH bond at the end
    - So can fit into the active site to form an enzyme-substrate complex
    - By induced fit.

And for the next one, along the lines of ratios, and it meant that more often ethanol would serve as the substrate instead of the Dsomething, and also taht the D.. was a competitive inhibitor.

Also, for the name the parts of the DNA, I put
    -Cytosine
    - Nucleotide.

Was it cytosine or nitrogenous base?

And, how many marks would I get for the poor having TB question, stating

- Overcrowding
    - Poorer education on preventing spread of disease
    - Poorer diet causing a weakened immune system

And seeing as I have no confidence in myself, for the phagocytosis question, I mentioned that;

Complementary cell surface receptor binds to antigen on pathogen.
    Endocytosis happens, in which walls of cytoplasm surround the pathogen, surrounding it in a phagocytic vacuole
    Lysosomes fuse with the phagocytic vacuole and release digestive enzymes, such as lysosyme for cell membrane of pathogen
    Phagocyte presents antigens on pathogen on cell surface membrane
    Starts clonal selection in T lympphocytes, brining about the rest of the immune response.

Couple things in that one didn't really suit the question, but I know how they are.

?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, for the phagocyte one, I know it said about the phagocyte, but would i get any marks for saying about T and B lymphocytes binding to the phagocyte? I left out phagocytosis completely... I'm so gutted...

ReputationRep:
    Quite a nice paper, a lot of easy marks but there were also some questions that were tricky given the context. It seems that most people found the centrifuge question confusing and the paper overall had a lot of the Biodiversity module in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverG)
    I thought the question was along the lines of "why can D... and Ethanol" both be acted upon by the enzyme alcohol somethingase.
    I wrote something like

- By induced fit.

And for the next one, along the lines of ratios, and it meant that more often ethanol would serve as the substrate instead of the Dsomething, and also taht the D.. was a competitive inhibitor.

-Cytosine
    - Nucleotide.

- Overcrowding

And seeing as I have no confidence in myself, for the phagocytosis question, I mentioned that;

Endocytosis happens, in which walls of cytoplasm surround the pathogen, surrounding it in a phagocytic vacuole
    Lysosomes fuse with the phagocytic vacuole and release digestive enzymes, such as lysosyme for cell membrane of pathogen
    Starts clonal selection in T lympphocytes, brining about the rest of the immune response.

Couple things in that one didn't really suit the question, but I know how they are.

?

Thanks!
    Pretty good overall, my answers were pretty similar but I opted fo 'nitrogenous base' rather than cytosine. I think you'd get all three marks for the TB question. You've also got all the main points for the 7 mark phagocytosis question, looks like you did good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverG)
    I wrote something like

- By induced fit.

-Cytosine
    - Nucleotide.

- Overcrowding

?

Thanks!
    Yo dude, u definately got 2/3 for the TB one, not sure about the education though, u should have put something like Homelessness, thats what i put, for the phagocyte one, you will get 3/4 , i might be wrong, but the question states 'Starting from the Antigen already bound to the phagocyte,
    you would have gotten full marks for saying
    -it 'pinches it in' a phagosome (1)
    -The Nuclues releases Lysosomes (1)
    -The Lysosomes Release Hydrolitic Enzymes that '''BREAK DOWN''' Not 'Digest' the antigen (2)
    -The remains then diffuse out of the cell Cytoplasm (1)
    -Sometimes the phagocyte keeps a fragment, and presents it on its plasma membrane (2)

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, out of my gamble marks i've only lost 2 from the looks of things on there.
    Is anybody working on an unofficial MS?

Really curious to see what was said about the squirrel question.

And for the person who said they thought it was an actual bear, one of my friends did that too (but realised!). She feels your pain

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised to see TB in there. I know there were only a few marks on it but it has never come up in past papers. Had no idea that the infective agent was Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Oh well, only one mark

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got the paper? i really need to see that phagocyte question again, it will decide whether this is a great or a terrible day

ReputationRep:
    can someone post an unofficial mark scheme please?
    and what do you think grade boundaries will be really need an A :'(

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone define the term 'enthalpy change of formation of a compound' please

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't like it, purely for the reason it seemed so simple it was hard if that makes sense?

I revised SO much on DnA replication and RNA/smoking & diseases and immune system as well as water and drawing out triglyercine/glycosidic bonds all the 'classic' biochemistry. I was a bit disappointed.

Also on the potato selective breeding question does anyone have any idea what the marking points would have been? I feel like I was rambling for seven marks.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspire2391)
    Can anyone define the term 'enthalpy change of formation of a compound' please
    The enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is made from its constituent elements under stand conditions, with all elements in their standard states. Why are you asking this on a biology thread?

ReputationRep:
    um, did no one else go completely blank on the collagen question, the potato blight question and the bloody squireeelllss?! what the hell man :'(
    and also for the selective breeding of the crops can someone just tell me what they wrote so that i dont cry myself to sleep tonight?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the question about structure of collagen? I really wasn't sure how they managed to make a 6 mark question about it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.