Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you rather be extremely intelligent or extremely good looking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you rather be extremely intelligent and average looking (not ugly), or extremely good looking with average intelligence (not thick)? I have to admit I would rather be stunning with average intelligence. Mainly because its very rare to see stunning people so you would be but in the minority but being very intelligent is more common (I'm not saying its very common though). Also if you have average intelligence you can still work hard, get a good degree and a good career. You might not be able to do a physics phd but you can still do well in life. Also being good looking is known to help you get jobs, employers are known to subconsciously favour good looking candidates in interviews even in jobs that have nothing to do with image.
    Extremely intelligent. I could make lots of money and hire a personal trainer and a live in hairdresser to make me extremely good looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erudite Fool)
    Intelligence can be measured and beauty cannot. Rather be intelligent and average.
    That's questionable.

Beautiful people also get more everyday perks.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Timikji)
    Extreme intelligence which I'd use to make lots of money that I could then use to make myself better looking.
    This ^

Also all the famous people have really good stylists to make them good looking some are quite plain.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Extremely intelligent and average looking. It would be awesome to just know so much. Also, if I was extremely intelligent I could then make myself extremely good looking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Of course. One can hardly be humble when one possesses devilishly good looks as well as a sharp, keen intellect.
    Pics or it didn't happen, and yes you can be humble even if you do have good looks or are really intelligent. Some people don't even know how pretty they are. Some women for instance have an "ugly duckling syndrome"

(Original post by lyrical_lie)
    This ^

Also all the famous people have really good stylists to make them good looking some are quite plain.
    I don't get why several people have said this? Yes, stylists can make you look a lot better but if you are plain they can't make you stunning. If that was true why aren't all celebrities stunning?

ReputationRep:
    Most of the posters in this thread are none of the two lol

Anyways i'd pick intelligence over looks

(Original post by ValuableAdvice)
    This is misleading. The word extreme refers to the top x% of the population, whether in looks or in intelligence.

If you define extremely good looks to be in the top 1% of the population in looks then you cannot define extremely high intelligence to be in the top 10% of the population in intelligence. It's double standards.
    Ok I see your point. I just meant its more common to come across very intelligent people. In an average month I might come across a couple of very intelligent people, but I'll probably only see one or two stunning people a year.

In all honesty, given the opportunity, I'd rather have good looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    In all honesty, given the opportunity, I'd rather have good looks.
    Fair enough but why?
    Bear in mind that intelligence isn't limited to just the education system
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't get why several people have said this? Yes, stylists can make you look a lot better but if you are plain they can't make you stunning. If that was true why aren't all celebrities stunning?
    But I would still look decent plus be ridiculously clever and make lots of money I could go on nice holidays :moon:

(Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Fair enough but why?
    Bear in mind that intelligence isn't limited to just the education system
    Don't insult my intelligence. I am aware that intelligence is not limited to just the education system. :rolleyes:

Anyway, why? Females need to be good-looking.

ReputationRep:
    intellect

ReputationRep:
    Not gonna lie, I'm torn. Being intelligent seems the obvious choice for a multitude of reasons, but I'm far too insecure about my appearance (and my smarts too, in all honesty). I actually believe that I'd have a happier life if I was more good-looking and less intelligent. Sad, but true.

ReputationRep:
    Both options are pretty good though, you aren't going to be too disadvantaged by being averagely intelligent or averagely attractive. But I would go with intelligence. If the question was extremely attractive but dumb or extremely intelligent but ugly, that would be more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Well what does 'intelligence' actually mean? If what we mean by intelligence is the ability to retain and recall large bits of information, then that isn't that great a quality. Wisdom is much more desirable, but it's not the same as intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    But I would still look decent plus be ridiculously clever and make lots of money I could go on nice holidays :moon:
    Do intelligent people make lots of money? Do they get highly-paid jobs?

ReputationRep:
    With no personality, neither would be of any use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gouki)
    So does intelligence.
    Of course intelligence doesn't fade overtime, you have it for the rest of your life as long as you don't get ill. If you go into professional fields like banking most of the managers and CEO are old, with intelligence you could still be working at the age of 80, but by the time u get to around 55 or over your looks starts to change

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent - this gives you adequate capacity to obtain the potential extrinsic desires in the future. More importantly, it allows you to live, not only to exist, as a free thinking intellectual.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.