Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaspod)
    I can easily expect to earn over 40k in the NHS. I currently work in the NHS and even at senior scientist level I can reach a band 8a position and if I move into lab management then it goes up to band 8c.

I only ask this question as I have been offered a job which would require me to change careers (move into clinical trials) but it would get me to 70k in less than 10 years, whereas if I stay in the NHS the process would be a lot bloody longer :/
    It's not the money per se, more the fact that career success seems to be measured by salary.

I want a comfortable standard of living and I feel that I need to achieve 50k for this, living in the South. It's just people around me often say I am being unreasonable, although I am not sure why?

As for investments, I already have a flat which I rent. It's not that side of things I am worried about, more that fact do I take the easy or hard route to my salary expectations. Also I was just wanted to hear what other people expected from themselves, realistically.
    Easily? In the NHS? Well you know more than me about it.

What is this field though? What sort of scientist are you talking about? We're being very vague here...

ReputationRep:
    GNI (PPP) Per Capita + £10000.

With a yearly percentage increase of inflation + 0.5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    Easily? In the NHS? Well you know more than me about it.

What is this field though? What sort of scientist are you talking about? We're being very vague here...
    If you are hard working and have a masters then it is not impossible to achieve a lab managers position, which I would intend on doing.
    I'm a microbiologist, I work part time in clinical micro and part time in the clinical research lab. After more experience I could even apply to complete my FRCPath and then apply for consultancy positions or go down the PhD, whilst working. There are lots of options but the band system of the NHS means it takes a long time to progress, salary wise.

You say I know more about it than you do.....what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    If the NHS is run by people like the OP who only care about the size of their bank accounts, no wonder it's in tatters.

I'd be happy just to earn minimum wage all my life as long as it's not a job I hate.

ReputationRep:
    For people on my course at my university (and being a male, although this is just statistically, I'm not trying to be sexist here!). 40k would be starting. Within 10 years the average is 120k.

I hope I could get 120k a year. That'd be pretty sweet, but I have no idea what I want to go into yet, I'd be happy just living on 40k for all my life (expanding in real terms). What more does one need really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melthusa)
    For people on my course at my university (and being a male, although this is just statistically, I'm not trying to be sexist here!). 40k would be starting. Within 10 years the average is 120k.

I hope I could get 120k a year. That'd be pretty sweet, but I have no idea what I want to go into yet, I'd be happy just living on 40k for all my life (expanding in real terms). What more does one need really?
    Course and uni?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    £60-70k+, achievable in IT in London and would actually allow me to rent somewhere decent in London and hopefully save a little for a mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    These threads always put into perspective how naive the average TSR user is. I'd be happy with 30k 3 or 4 years after graduation

ReputationRep:
    For some context the average grad starting salary is about £20k (typical of the kind of corporate grad schemes you get in London), and the median UK income is about £21k.

Many careers will earn you more than that fairly quickly, and some will be much higher straight out of the gate, but those of you saying you would struggle with anything under £40k are living on the moon (where property taxes are very reasonable). Only ~10% of people in the UK earn £40k or more.

ReputationRep:
    Just as an observation, I really don't think our society could sustain the sheer amount of people in this thread that have expectations of an 50k+ salary.

ReputationRep:
    So, people, I'm getting kind of confused.

How much money could you realistically expect to earn just after and perhaps 2 - 3 years after graduation (Engineering, Cambridge, let's suppose upper second or first)?

Realistically / on average, not best-case scenario.

I'm Swiss, so it seems my expectations are a bit too high; on the other hand, the UK does seem to be less expensive than Switzerland, especially than Zürich.

ReputationRep:
    My ideal salary would be enough to get me to stop worrying about money

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any definite amount fixed as of now, but surely I would like to earn something that will meet all my expenses and still leave behind good surplus to keep it aside for future so that I can become financially independent in future and secure it to good extent.

ReputationRep:
    Want 40k+ more

Happy with 27k or more.

ReputationRep:
    My mum "only" makes around £17k, and she lives a modest lifestyle I can see myself living, I never cared much for extravagance.

Teachers start on around £21k, so in theory I'd be more than satisfied

ReputationRep:
    Well I want to be a MFL teacher so... Maybe around 21,000 near the beginning of my career. But hopefully once I'm very experienced I'll get a couple of promotions (e.g. Head of department etc.) which will bring me closer to 35-40,000 ish.

Teachers don't do it for the money, they do it for the love

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with anything over 80K. (That's what my Dad gets)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaspod)
    I can easily expect to earn over 40k in the NHS. I currently work in the NHS and even at senior scientist level I can reach a band 8a position and if I move into lab management then it goes up to band 8c.

I only ask this question as I have been offered a job which would require me to change careers (move into clinical trials) but it would get me to 70k in less than 10 years, whereas if I stay in the NHS the process would be a lot bloody longer :/
    It's not the money per se, more the fact that career success seems to be measured by salary.

I want a comfortable standard of living and I feel that I need to achieve 50k for this, living in the South. It's just people around me often say I am being unreasonable, although I am not sure why?

As for investments, I already have a flat which I rent. It's not that side of things I am worried about, more that fact do I take the easy or hard route to my salary expectations. Also I was just wanted to hear what other people expected from themselves, realistically.
    OMG you're so lucky. I want to become an Clinical Scientist as-well But I heard the application stage is so tiring and competitive e.g. Medical Physicist compete for 4 spaces at an hospital/radiography centre etc. But I'd rather become an CS earning 40K than an businessman/Financial advisory earning 80K+ because I like biology/Chemistry and you would have better job security.

ReputationRep:
    @peaspod Do you have to have an PhD in the specific field you are doing or can you just get an MSc?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.