x Turn on thread page Beta

Stereotypical 'Gap Year' is a Waste of Time. Discuss. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    I was being sarcastic :rolleyes:
    oh haha, yeaaaah so was i

ReputationRep:
    Haha the OP here is actually pathetic, I'm reading this creasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    Congratulations, do you want a medal for that?
    Again, well done. How did that go for you? (no sarcasm intended in that)

No sarcasm intended? Are you literally offering to provide him with a medal then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    Haha the OP here is actually pathetic, I'm reading this creasing.
    Yes I am pathetic, yet unlike the vast majority here I have been to places that many others have not. You on the other hand are from Nothumberland. I imagine exotic to you is going to a different park bench.

(Original post by TheCount.)
    No sarcasm intended? Are you literally offering to provide him with a medal then?
    The first line was sarcastic, the second one was genuine curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    OK, to summarise the thread:

* OP has been everywhere meaningful on the Planet Earth. Without going into detail, none of the places he has been to are boring.

* OP looks down on everyone who has only been to Australia and regards that as somehow a life-enhancing gap year.

* OP is in every way superior, but rejects anything that hints that he might be, for example, by accusing him of a hipsterish disdain for the mainstream.

Have I covered everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesrobbo1)
    Australia is not the same as Australasia.

Theres so many language programmes you can go on. I have been on two in China, if you want to know more PM me mate.

Good for you, are you convincing me, or yourself?

No - and I hoped it would not

Why not?

Example: Worked in the Congo but visited 15 other African countries before, during and after my time there.

Many volunteering programmes do more damage than good.

No - unless you stay in the country for a minimum of twenty four hourse (my personal rule anyway).

It has taken me about five years. I think I wont complete the full UN until another 30 years though.

Stop plugging this garbage here.

How is going to Benidorm the same as making contact with a long lost tribe? Come off it mate. All I am doing is advocating the alternate options.
    Didn't say it was. Advocating the alternatives is fair enough, but you need to understand that most people want to see the mainstream first. I want to read Harry Potter before Beowulf, that sort of mentality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am pathetic, yet unlike the vast majority here I have been to places that many others have not. You on the other hand are from Nothumberland. I imagine exotic to you is going to a different park bench.
    Oh you want to dance you pretentious ****?
    My experiences could very easily **** on yours, however I'm not a stuck up silver spooned little toe rag like you to go bragging about what I've done.
    No doubt your galavanting around the world is off someone else's back, yet I'm pretty sure you are and will die a virgin with your attitude to others.

ReputationRep:
    1) I have been to 99 countries. Although to be fair I am including places like Wales, Monaco etc in that.

2) No I have not worked on a farm, but I have worked in the Congo (DRC) with an NGO I founded, as well as for a local newspaper. I have interviewed and met countless combatants. Perhaps not as hardcore as picking fruit.

All I am saying is that people do the same thing, because it is easy. It is easy to find a job on a farm. It is easy to book a ticket to Australia. What is difficult about that? It is English-speaking for a start.
    I would love to go somewhere like Libya but bearing in mind that i'm 18 and female that's not going to be a good idea. However, going to the other side of the world, having to get a job and having to fit into local life without my parents is quite a big step.

Many people won't have the opportunity to go to the other side of the world for a year after they graduate. When I finish university i want to get a full-time job, probably get in a relationship, a couple of years down the line i'll be married, get a house and then have a couple of kids. My Geography teacher has only been out of the EU once and that was on a Geography trip with her university. She wanted to go to Japan for a year but her partner wasn't able to leave his job and she had bills to pay in the UK. She's always got something to pay for so she's never had the opportunity to do the crazy trip away.

I don't want to do that. Give me a flight to Australia anyday

ReputationRep:
    Stereotypical gap year? possibly. But you can use your time for some really important stuff, for example, you could be 7 to 9 stones over weight (normal weight = 10 stones) and dedicating your entire gap year to weight loss is possibly the greatest gap year ever imo, you just wouldn't be able to find the time to ditch 8 stones within a reasonable amount of time due to uni work, and then you begin a career; 9-5.

I know one diamond who did just this, and good on her!

ReputationRep:
    If you're having travel problems I feel bad for you son,

1) I have been to 99 countries.
    But Australia aint one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    OK, to summarise the thread:

* OP has been everywhere meaningful on the Planet Earth. Without going into detail, none of the places he has been to are boring.

* OP looks down on everyone who has only been to Australia and regards that as somehow a life-enhancing gap year.

* OP is in every way superior, but rejects anything that hints that he might be, for example, by accusing him of a hipsterish disdain for the mainstream.

Have I covered everything?
    Nice assumptions, I hope you do not pursue your academic work as such. Did you get that job with an NGO to save the world then? If you plan on making assumptions your modus operandi - dont go into international NGO work.

(Original post by Sheldor)
    Didn't say it was. Advocating the alternatives is fair enough, but you need to understand that most people want to see the mainstream first. I want to read Harry Potter before Beowulf, that sort of mentality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Face ****ing palm.

(Original post by wrnicholls)
    Oh you want to dance you pretentious ****?
    My experiences could very easily **** on yours, however I'm not a stuck up silver spooned little toe rag like you to go bragging about what I've done.
    No doubt your galavanting around the world is off someone else's back, yet I'm pretty sure you are and will die a virgin with your attitude to others.
    1. Silver spoon - hhahahahahahaha. I was born in Croatia just before the war. Im sure I saw more during my time there than you will your entire life, but I wont assume.

2. I have funded every single trip myself, or via scholaships/working in the target location.

Up your game little child.

(Original post by Annuhlees)
    I would love to go somewhere like Libya but bearing in mind that i'm 18 and female that's not going to be a good idea. However, going to the other side of the world, having to get a job and having to fit into local life without my parents is quite a big step.

Many people won't have the opportunity to go to the other side of the world for a year after they graduate. When I finish university i want to get a full-time job, probably get in a relationship, a couple of years down the line i'll be married, get a house and then have a couple of kids. My Geography teacher has only been out of the EU once and that was on a Geography trip with her university. She wanted to go to Japan for a year but her partner wasn't able to leave his job and she had bills to pay in the UK. She's always got something to pay for so she's never had the opportunity to do the crazy trip away.

I don't want to do that. Give me a flight to Australia anyday
    The only rational response in a long time, thank you for this. Best of luck for going out there.

(Original post by Ilyas)
    Stereotypical gap year? possibly. But you can use your time for some really important stuff, for example, you could be 7 to 9 stones over weight (normal weight = 10 stones) and dedicating your entire gap year to weight loss is possibly the greatest gap year ever imo, you just wouldn't be able to find the time to ditch 8 stones within a reasonable amount of time due to uni work, and then you begin a career; 9-5.

I know one diamond who did just this, and good on her!
    Interesting cross-section of evidence you utilise, one character.

(Original post by British-Student)
    If you're having travel problems I feel bad for you son,

But Australia aint one.
    Have said about 10 times in this thread that I have been to Australia, clever name btw.

ReputationRep:
    I am utterly apathetic to the anecdotes of the pseudo-raconteurs who seem to think that "doing something different/unique" is going to Australia/Thailand etc.

We all know the locales that such people go to. What I want to know is why.

I purport that going to, for example Australia, is a silly, childish way of "building-character". There are far more interesting places to go.

There may be some interesting characters who have travelled around Australia, but it seems, at least via anecdotal evidence, that a plethora of such students are boring as hell.

Discuss.
    I'm not sure if you have really thought through these perceptions you have, they seem a little naive, and it appears you are bashing a lot of 'gappers'.
    I felt quite offended by your statement and I will explain why;
    First and foremost, even raising enough money to travel in a gap year shows you are a determined person, I've had to work two part time jobs, as well as doing tutoring for some family friends, in order to make enough money to travel next year. All of this while still studying for my A levels and keeping up sports and voluntary commitments. Also, I will still have to combine work and travel while in New Zealand to afford to keep travelling. Working as hard as I have to save, is certainly a way of building character, and I am sure I would be much more employable after university, than someone who does not have as much experience of the 'real world' of work, who is payed through university by their parents etc etc.
    I can also assure you I am not a boring character, and travelling isn't just about going somewhere new. Travelling is about meeting new people, and seeing more of the world. For the first time I will be standing alone on my own two feet, travelling and working a variety of jobs, meeting new people, making new friends and getting to know a different country.
    Obviously, there are some people who travel around a tourist trail for a year, and dont raise the money to go themselves, and these are the people who come back having learned nothing new, with a new facebook profile picture and a lot less money. However, to say or imply all people who take gap years to travel abroad are like this is very ignorant.
    Taking an extra year to decide my university choices, of which I was initially unsure, has been a great decision for me and I am finally settled on courses and universities. When I come home, I will arrive back in the UK having made new friends and connections in different parts of the world. I will have visited many new cities, towns and villages, across many different countries. I will be independent, and will study at university with more of an appreciation for the education I am receiving as I can assure you I do not want to work low wage and boring jobs for the rest of my life!
    I could go on forever, but it seems your view if that everyone who travels abroad is going on a 'gap yah' paid by their parents, this isnt the case. I cant wait to travel. Heading to HK then Beijing for a month this summer, to new zealand in september, and plan to travel through south east asia and interrail europe from march-July. Cant bloody wait.

ReputationRep:
    1) I have been to 99 countries. Although to be fair I am including places like Wales, Monaco etc in that.

2) No I have not worked on a farm, but I have worked in the Congo (DRC) with an NGO I founded, as well as for a local newspaper. I have interviewed and met countless combatants. Perhaps not as hardcore as picking fruit.

All I am saying is that people do the same thing, because it is easy. It is easy to find a job on a farm. It is easy to book a ticket to Australia. What is difficult about that? It is English-speaking for a start.
    People have gone to work on kibbutzes. It is a matter of trust and other factors, too. You must lead an interesting and packed life! 🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveExo)
    People have gone to work on kibbutzes. It is a matter of trust and other factors, too. You must lead an interesting and packed life! 🤔
    At the top right hand corner of each post you can see the date on which it was made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    At the top right hand corner of each post you can see the date on which it was made.
    👍👍

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't give Australia my £££ to visit. Their human rights record is disgusting.

I do look down my nose a bit at people who gap-year there.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.