Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Death Penalty Should be brought in and applied to every crime there is. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    Im sorry do you own tsr? Do your parents own tsr? I don't think so... Ill post where I want,
    Now now, please calm down.

I never said that you couldn't post , I simply questioned if you should be posting on a topic(mental health) when you have demonstrated you are ignorant to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I think killing someone for murder is a cop out. I want people who do that to suffer - give them a room with a dog bowl of food and drink of water. They can sleep on the floor. No TVs, computers or whatever else; it's an absolute joke, you're in prison to be punished and to be rehabilitated, not to enjoy half your time searching Facebook and watching EastEnders.

ReputationRep:
    The belief of returning the death penalty is something I find disgusting. This is because the death penalty has problems like 'what if he was innocent' which a large amount of criminals are. This has featured quite heavily on here so I won't go into detail in this argument.

It is my belief that the death penalty is a breach of human rights; this is because every man and women in this world has the right to life. Now yes I know what the instant response is 'when you go to prison you lose your rights'. In this country a prisoner loses some rights like his right to vote (although this is likely to change soon for some prisoners) however they still have the right to life; the death penalty denies this right by taking it from them. No matter what the crime no matter how barbaric every human has the same rights as the next, denying the rights for some is morally wrong. The death penalty is not morally right because he's or she has done this or that.

The common response to that argument is that 'why is it morally wrong to take the life of a criminal if they have done something morally wrong like murder'. This poses the case that we therefore should punish this criminal as they have done wrong.

I believe this is a misconception of what a prison is and for in our modern society. A prison is not a place of punishment it is protection society from them and to act as a place of reform were criminals are given the opportunity to change the way they have acted. The death penalty is an act of punishment this is not how prisons run in this country. Running a prison in the aim of punishing another person is morally wrong hence why no matter what crime a person is a person and are still entitled to the most basic of human rights, the right to life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie142)
    The belief of returning the death penalty is something I find disgusting. This is because the death penalty has problems like 'what if he was innocent' which a large amount of criminals are. This has featured quite heavily on here so I won't go into detail in this argument.

It is my belief that the death penalty is a breach of human rights; this is because every man and women in this world has the right to life. Now yes I know what the instant response is 'when you go to prison you lose your rights'. In this country a prisoner loses some rights like his right to vote (although this is likely to change soon for some prisoners) however they still have the right to life; the death penalty denies this right by taking it from them. No matter what the crime no matter how barbaric every human has the same rights as the next, denying the rights for some is morally wrong. The death penalty is not morally right because he's or she has done this or that.

The common response to that argument is that 'why is it morally wrong to take the life of a criminal if they have done something morally wrong like murder'. This poses the case that we therefore should punish this criminal as they have done wrong.

I believe this is a misconception of what a prison is and for in our modern society. A prison is not a place of punishment it is protection society from them and to act as a place of reform were criminals are given the opportunity to change the way they have acted. The death penalty is an act of punishment this is not how prisons run in this country. Running a prison in the aim of punishing another person is morally wrong hence why no matter what crime a person is a person and are still entitled to the most basic of human rights, the right to life.
    I'm sorry, no, prisons are a place of both punishment and rehabilitation. We seem to be under this delusion that EVERYONE in prison can come out and be an angel. Not going to happen, you will have cases where people just re-offend and re-offend and in those cases they're best to just be locked away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Combined the posts my friend!
    I'm not your friend.

Hopefully the state will be careful.
    Not good enough. Either the state ensures it will never happen or it doesn't go ahead with it at all.

It is not "completely" ok, but it is an acceptable risk given the circumstance.

As in war, it is never ok to loose a soldier or a friend, but yet we still have acceptable loss ratios for every engagement.
    I don't think the loss of any innocent lives in this instance is acceptable nor should it ever be. If the state can't get it right then they shouldn't go ahead with it.
    It's not war and these aren't soldiers. These are ordinary people some of whom may be innocent or turn out to be innocent. It's not like the military where people sign up often in the knowledge they might be hurt or killed. Therefore I don't think that's an acceptable or relevant comparison.

Glad I helped!
    Your sarcasm detector must be broken.

What "other" gesture are you talking about?
    I proposed removing gestures, nothing was added.
    Well first it was compensation and now it's a formal apology. Both are nowhere nearly good enough nor should they be considered acceptable for the state putting an innocent person to death. What what happen then? Everything just carries on as normal until another innocent person is put to death?

When you take away things...you end up with less than you started with.

That's how mathmatics works.
    Wow, you just blew my mind.

[spoiler] That was sarcasm again by the way.[/quote]

I look forward to the day when it does.
    Hopefully you'll have to wait a long time though preferably it should never come at all.

Yes it is.
    I'm afraid not. It isn't good enough nor should it ever be deemed acceptable to brush off or ignore the very serious consequences of this.

Bringing back the death penalty is "part" of fixing it.
    Except there isn't definitive proof it would fix the system.

Why?
    (You should know that I am a Fascist by the way, if it wasn't already blatantly obvious by my Sig and DP)
    I am very much in favor of Totalitarianism.
    Well I'm a liberal/Lefty and I really don't think we should live in a fascist or totalitarian society. If you wish to though I'm sure there are other countries that have such regimes that also have the death penalty that will gladly accommodate you.

[quote] The discussion came of the back of a comment I made to another user.
    Your the one who commented on it...not me.

Of course it's an opinion.
    Opinions are not always correct.
    Indeed opinions are not always correct however you cannot simply dismiss his comments as you have done. Not least of all because he said what he did after a lifetime in that area.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by certain racial discrimination regarding criminal arrests, I think this very well might constitute genocide.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down there Hitler! This is the most surreal post I have ever seen in my life. Can somebody please add this to the wikipedia article on Poe's Law?

ReputationRep:
    Has this trolling discussion not been closed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is the stupidest idea I've ever read and is not even worthy of a proper response.

ReputationRep:
    I still remember during the riots in 2011, somebody got jailed for SIX MONTHS for stealing a bottle of water. Death penalty? Really?

ReputationRep:
    OP is nuts. Thankfully the death penalty will never be applied so extensively in the UK (and hopefully never at all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I'm not your friend.
    A shame, I do enjoy having friends.

Not good enough. Either the state ensures it will never happen or it doesn't go ahead with it at all.
    What a unrealistic and silly view to take.

I don't think the loss of any innocent lives in this instance is acceptable nor should it ever be. If the state can't get it right then they shouldn't go ahead with it.
    It's not war and these aren't soldiers. These are ordinary people some of whom may be innocent or turn out to be innocent. It's not like the military where people sign up often in the knowledge they might be hurt or killed. Therefore I don't think that's an acceptable or relevant comparison.
    Of course it's a war, it's a war on crime, a war against wrong and a war to retain the stability and virtue of society.

Well first it was compensation and now it's a formal apology. Both are nowhere nearly good enough nor should they be considered acceptable for the state putting an innocent person to death. What what happen then? Everything just carries on as normal until another innocent person is put to death?
    Yes that's exactly what happens, the system continues, hopefully learning as much from it's mistake as it can.
    As with all things the highest and most stringent forms of evidence will be required to attain the death penalty, firm DNA evidence, confessions, multiple attestations from reliable witnesses, video evidence.

Not circumstantial evidence and hearsay.

Hopefully you'll have to wait a long time though preferably it should never come at all.
    Opinions will differ

Except there isn't definitive proof it would fix the system.
    Certainly couldn't make it worse.

Well I'm a liberal/Lefty and I really don't think we should live in a fascist or totalitarian society. If you wish to though I'm sure there are other countries that have such regimes that also have the death penalty that will gladly accommodate you.
    Obviously you have no concept of what Fascism entails.

A core tennent is a strong sense of Nationalism and the superiority of your culture/country(and sometimes race to some) over others, a Fascist would not move to another country, because he wishes to raise and perfect his own.

Indeed opinions are not always correct however you cannot simply dismiss his comments as you have done. Not least of all because he said what he did after a lifetime in that area.
    I can, and did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Interchange)
    How about the single mum who steals some food?
    How about the youngsters being sucked into a life of crime due to society's failure to provide for these people?
    How about the desperate low paid employee who steals from their employer?
    How about the sole trader who does a bit of cash in hand work?
    How about the crackhead who has been abused throughout their life, kerb crawling to get the next fix?

So many people think that people choose a life of crime. Circumstances force people into crime.

You obviously think that nothing in your life would go wrong and CERTAINLY would never have to resort to anything that the nasty criminals would do in times of desperation. Infact, why don't you run for government and implement these plans. See how you feel when a relative is being put to death. People who promote these types of policy are so short sighted.
    Poverty is no excuse for crime.

Though I disagree with the death penalty btw

Spoiler:
    Show
    RIP Margaret Thatcher - who supported the death penalty by the way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.