Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Thatcher's death deserve rejoice? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we be happy about Margaret Thatcher's Death?
    Yes.
    12.95%
    No.
    87.05%

ReputationRep:
    In the long run, what does her death mean to us? It means that a little old lady who was alive yesterday isn't alive today.

Hitler's death came during wartime, during great conflict where his death made the difference between the war continuing and ending.
    Bin Laden's death was a serious blow to terrorists.
    Margaret Thatcher's death means that a woman who was prime minster at one point is dead. :dontknow: In comparison, celebrating Thatcher's death seems ridiculous, and of course it isn't right to celebrate.

ReputationRep:
    No. Certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say that I find the very question a bit weird. Why would anybody celebrate and "rejoice" over Thatcher's death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    No. For anyone mentioning Hitler, or the like, there should be a clear distinction between war time and peace time. During war time, it's understandable that people will want the opposition's leader dead but a peace time politician of any kind should never suffer the indignity of having their death celebrated. All you did was have a difference of opinion with them.
    I think that's a good point. Hitlers death marked the end of the war and the end of his tyranny. Even if Thatcher is considered to be an evil tyrant to the same extent as Hitler, that ended when she left office over 20 years ago, not today. Hitlers death stopped the pain for many people. Thatchers death will do nothing for the pain she caused people during her rule. The legacy she left, good and bad, will not change now she's gone. We won't wake up tommorow to find the mines reopened, everything re-nationalised and the world a better, happier, more peaceful place. Now if if was Cameron it might be another story.

ReputationRep:
    No we should not be happy. Period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapmouse)
    So Margaret Thatcher has died, and it is news. Of course it's news.
    All I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, and my Facebook Timeline is really quite harsh comments about her.
    Comments such as

just make me feel a little bit sad about this planet.

A death is a death, and should never be celebrated.
    Before someone says anything about celebrating the death of 'evil' people such as Hitler; still not okay.

Please share your opinion. If you feel that this is a time for celebration, tell me why you think so.
    I agree, and to the people who quoted me I say this, even Hitler. You don't cheer. You just be thankful he can't hurt anyone else.

But Thatcher wasn't like hitler, she was a great women and the greatest PM this country has ever seen. RIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    Don't agree with any of her politics, think she destroyed British society and her legacy is an economic cancer. Equally, it's clear as day that she was a very strong leader and her route to the top as a woman and from her socio-economic background is very admirable.

However, her political life died a long time ago. People rejoicing are rejoicing about the death of a mother and a grandmother, and nothing else, which is saddening.

It seems inevitable that knee-jerk leftists will jump on the "Yay, Thacher's Dead. Break out the pop" bandwagon and lead to whole-political-sphere tarring with the same unfortunate brush.

I would hope the majority abandon the politics for a bit and have the good grace to respect the life of a human being.
    She crushed the unions, dealt with the filthy argentinians and the communists.

The only ones who hate her are the miners who were clueless about world economics, the unions, marxist lovers and idiots who love Apple.

She saved this country, such a pity we're not infested with so many morons. RIP GB, you have just lost a knight of the defence.

ReputationRep:
    It would be slightly more understandable if she's some sort of evil war leader raging a war on humanity, and suddenly died. But she's a retired politician who's not in power for decades, why are people dancing and celebrating someone's death, now that the person doesn't even influence anything, what is there to celebrate?

ReputationRep:
    A couple more points I'd like to add. Firstly, I've seen quite a few people who support the celebrations criticising younger people who are against it because they were not there at the time, and didn't know what it was like, and that "if you'd been around then you'd feel differently. The thing is though that from the pictures the majority of those celebrating look to have been born well after Thatcher left power, so also had no idea what it was like. It could also be argued that those in their 30s who are celebrating might remember what it was like under Thatcher, but never really experianced what it was like before.

Secondly, I've seen many people defending the celebrations and saying that people have free speech and that it's a free country. The important thing though is that whilst people do have the right to celebrate, people have the right to critisise it. An important and often forgotten pricipal of free speech (often by both the left and the right) is that free speech gives people the right to an opinion, but it also gives people a right to an opinion on that opinion. It's also noticable that those who are quickest to defend their own free speech are often the first to try and deny others free speech. Those defending the celebrations as free speech would probably be calling "hate speech" etc and expecting the police to be stepping in if it was a figure they respected who was under attack. That said the right are as bad too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ncsoftlover)
    It would be slightly more understandable if she's some sort of evil war leader raging a war on humanity, and suddenly died. But she's a retired politician who's not in power for decades, why are people dancing and celebrating someone's death, now that the person doesn't even influence anything, what is there to celebrate?
    Though many people thought she was waging a war on the poor and working class . Hence why people are happy and have no sympathy.

Cant just dismiss these people as heartless people. They just don't have sympathy for Thatcher

ReputationRep:
    No! It most certainly does not. She did a lot of good for the country, and made Britain 'Great Britain' again. The lefties are only kicking up a stink because they're narked that no one from their end of the political spectrum will ever be mourned by the entire world, in the way that Thatcher has been.

ReputationRep:
    I think celebrating the death of all but the most repugnant historical figures is pretty vulgar.

But what bothers me most about celebrating Thatchers death is that it's mostly down to inherited political myth and lack of intellectual consideration on the part of the people partaking.

At the most Thatcher was a controversial figure, who did good as well as bad, and got assigned a lot of 'bad' which she in fact had little to no role in.

Lastly she spent the last stretch of years as a frail old woman with dementia who was long divorced from active participation in the politics of a country that has notably not undone a lot of her policies and socio-economic changes, despite the pop-cult hate professed for them.

I'm not a loyalist conservative, labourite, LibDem or anything like that, before some sheep like non-tory voter makes a clumsy defence for their offensive attitude utilizing crude partisan politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    We should show that we are better than that.
    I know. :sad:

But this really pisses me off!

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    Though many people thought she was waging a war on the poor and working class . Hence why people are happy and have no sympathy.

Cant just dismiss these people as heartless people. They just don't have sympathy for Thatcher
    Waging a war on the poor?

The same poor that have it better than most people trying to earn a living? Those poor people? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They only hated thatcher because she wouldnt bend to the bully boy unions who wanted her to put money into business that did not make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between not having any sympathy and celebrating - the former is understandable for some people, the latter... well anyone who celebrates a death is scum.

EDIT: The obvious exceptions being terrorists/war criminals; Osama Bin Laden, Adolf Hitler, George Bush etc.

ReputationRep:
    She lived a long old life and gets a full ceremonial funereal at the cost of the taxpayer and the debate for some reason is "Is it ok to celebrate her death?". Here's my opinion... you can sit here all day and say why you liked her and why you didn't but at the end of the day she either helped or crushed the previous generation so opinions will be split.

Will i be personally celebrating her death? No i wont. Not because i liked her or i think its unethicle to celebrate a death because death is like life, we celebrate when someone is born and we morn them when they die for the deeds they done in the time inbeween and its a persons right to choose what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    I know. :sad:

But this really pisses me off!

<3 x
    I know, I can't stand it either. They can't have known what this country was like and why she was the way she was.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the people on bbc news "rejoicing"?

Lefty *******s. They are the scourge of the planet and have no place in society. Give them a lethal injection and be done with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    Have you seen the people on bbc news "rejoicing"?

Lefty *******s. They are the scourge of the planet and have no place in society. Give them a lethal injection and be done with it
    Awww did some horrible lefties make fun of your poor little Thatchie?? Yep, carry on preaching to the choir :rolleyes:

this forum obviously has a Tory bias. If I said the same thing about the right I'd have got a warning from the mods.

Well... To balance things out...

Tory/right/far right *******s. They are the scourge of the planet and have no place in society. Give them a lethal injection and be done with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    Yep, carry on preaching to the choir :rolleyes:

this forum obviously has a Tory bias. If I said the same thing about the right I'd have got a warning from the mods.
    Really? In the five years I've been here TSR has a left leaning bias.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.