Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I am currently working on my application for UCL - does anybody know the word limit for the personal statement?!

Good luck to everyone in the process of applying!

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aking91)
    Hello!
    I am currently working on my application for UCL - does anybody know the word limit for the personal statement?!

Good luck to everyone in the process of applying!

Thanks in advance
    Think it says 3000 characters but you can upload it if it is longer. Good luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if anyone is applying to City university. I can't seem to find how to apply online. On the course page i click the 'how to apply' and it basically just says apply online.

Anyone who has started their application and can tell me where to find it, i'd be grateful.

Hope everyone is getting on well with their applications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rg13)
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask if anyone is applying to City university. I can't seem to find how to apply online. On the course page i click the 'how to apply' and it basically just says apply online.

Anyone who has started their application and can tell me where to find it, i'd be grateful.

Hope everyone is getting on well with their applications
    Hi,
    In the application for city you click on how to apply and then right at the top you click full time and that will take you to the application form.

Regarding UCL they do still want the work experience form but say to upload it where it gives you the option to upload your cv.

Hope everyone's applications are going well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Hope all your applications are going great!!

Where can we find the UCL work experience form? Would someone please be able to post a link?

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoStar)
    Hi all,

Hope all your applications are going great!!

Where can we find the UCL work experience form? Would someone please be able to post a link?

Thanks guys!
    Here's the link: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/psychlangsci/st...T/TMSSPESLAN01

If you look in the 'application' section, you'll find a link to download the form.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Just a bit confused about the references for UCL - do they have to be uploaded and completed by our referees BEFORE the deadline in November, or is that deadline for us submitting the form and then the Uni gets in touch with our referees AFTER our deadline date?

If the first is true, I need to submit nowish to give my referees a few weeks to write the references before the second Friday in November ... eeek

Thanks in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Also! It is £50 to apply to UCL - does anyone know if the other Universities charge similar amounts?? I hadn't accounted for such costs!!

And has anyone worked out where to upload the Work Ex form for UCL? On the actual form after Checklist it says 'SUBMIT' while on the instruction list after the checklist is says 'PROCEED TO DOCUMENT UPLOAD'. They must have changed the format of the form and maybe the SLT department aren't aware of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyross17)
    On that page it only gives the option to submit the application I have emailed to find out so will post when I get a reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you hear back from them? I'm very confused as to where to upload the work Ex form. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Just a bit confused about the references for UCL - do they have to be uploaded and completed by our referees BEFORE the deadline in November, or is that deadline for us submitting the form and then the Uni gets in touch with our referees AFTER our deadline date?

If the first is true, I need to submit nowish to give my referees a few weeks to write the references before the second Friday in November ... eeek

I was having the same panic! I had a look through the 2013 thread and someone had been in touch with UCL and were informed that referees would have two weeks after the deadline to respond.

But maybe give them a call if you're worried about it.

I swear I'm ageing a year for every day of this application process!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did you hear back from them? I'm very confused as to where to upload the work Ex form. Thanks in advance!
    Hi
    Yes sorry I did hear back and they said to upload in the place where we can upload cv's as that is something that they don't need for this course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katehb)
    I was having the same panic! I had a look through the 2013 thread and someone had been in touch with UCL and were informed that referees would have two weeks after the deadline to respond.

But maybe give them a call if you're worried about it.

I swear I'm ageing a year for every day of this application process!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Right there with you on the ageing a year with every day of applications!
    It's all a nightmare and the fear that it will come to nothing if you don't get in. It's exhausting!

ReputationRep:
    wait, so you can apply even though your coming straight from undergrad? just looked at sheffield and they've said they need proof of you undergad qualification so how can you apply if you haven't got it yet?

ReputationRep:
    I think only a couple of unis accept applications straight from undergrad. You'll need to check with each department...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    and also does anyone know if the sheffield postgrad is funded by the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grrlscout)
    wait, so you can apply even though your coming straight from undergrad? just looked at sheffield and they've said they need proof of you undergad qualification so how can you apply if you haven't got it yet?
    Provide a transcript with first and second year marks, and which third-year units you are taking. The university gives you a conditional offer based on predicted degree classification, which you confirm in early June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Provide a transcript with first and second year marks, and which third-year units you are taking. The university gives you a conditional offer based on predicted degree classification, which you confirm in early June.
    awesome, thanks! didn't even know this, better get applying then!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm applying for the 2014 course at UCL, City, Reading and possibly Essex, although I can't find the deadline for Essex ANYWHERE?!

With the UCL deadline looming I'm trying to tackle my personal statement even though I may have left it a little late. I'm just wondering what everyone else is focusing on in the personal statement? Why you want to do the course or just the experience you have? City made it very clearl what they're looking for, especially seeing as they have a specific application form but I'm not really sure exactly what UCL are looking for in this part of the application, especially seeing as you have to upload all your experience on a separate sheet anyway.

Any tips would be gratefully received, and hello to you all.

EDIT: You know the UCL limit is 3000 characters for the PS but says you can upload a longer one as a document? How long do you think the limit is if you upload it? Does it say definitively anywhere, I'm not having much luck finding anything. I think mine is way too long so far and know I need to cut things out but I'm just wondering if there is a set limit really? or an advised limit?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to this thread, and have just started thinking about speech and language therapy as a career. I studied anthropology as my major, so I'll be starting from scratch understand and getting experience in this field. It doesn't help that I'm in Japan until August 2014, but I want to apply for the next year and am looking at all the things I need to do to make my application stand out.

As well as the usual work experience with a variety of clients from special needs children to adults recovering from strokes and other illnesses, and shadowing speech therapists, can anyone recommend course they have done online?

My second question is about Makaton. I haven't found much about this on universities course profiles, and I'm wondering if it's essential for our course. Will we be taught it as part of our course or expected to know it?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Response from the department below!!! Eek! Was hoping references would be needed after deadline!!

Ideally references should be received by the deadline of 8th November though we give a few days if references are not submitted. Given the tight turnaround from the deadline to shortlisting no more than 5 days can be deemed acceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.