Were your parents married when you were born? - Research..please respond! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Married and now split

ReputationRep:
    Married, still together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maik13)
    they are one example, but if they are committed to each other, then why not get married so people are aware that they are a couple. If it is just a piece of a paper why not just get married if itll make no difference? When they aren't married,most of the time they don't last together due to cheating or so. I dont believe in sex out of marriage, why else has HIV/AIDS increased in the last 40-50 years.

Marriage is a formalisation-uneccessary for proof of love and commitment-that stays in your brain and your love for one another. I will probably get married as I unfortunately am part of a society that favours married couples when in business together (as I want my partner and I to be)-but if it was not for that, I would not be bothering.
    HIV has increased because more and more people are having unprotected sex. It is still most common in gay men (who do not use protection) and intravenous drug users. Nothing to do with not being married-if you use protection you are unlikely to contract HIV.
    To add another dimension, I know of at least two cases off the top of my head where HIV has been contracted from a spouse, being married does not make one cured or immune.
    My parents are married and still together.
    They have been married for 31 years. They didn't want to get married though, only did it because society favours it, and I doubt it would have made a difference to them had they not done it.
    My Mother was married to my half-Sister's Dad, before my Dad-and they had divorced within 3 and a half years, so my half-Sister would have a different answer.

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together!

ReputationRep:
    Married & still together

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    Married and still together.

Interesting though that in my mum's country (she's Nordic) it's the norm to have kids first then get married later. My uncle there did the opposite and he's divorced!
    Intriguing, which country incidentally?

(Original post by StupidGirl1)
    x
    One tidbit I can share is that in Denmark both man and woman wear engagement rings if they do engagement as a thing at all, and that they're both plain wedding bands. They're worn on the left hand ring finger, and when you get married, they're moved to the right hand. I have a plain yellow gold band to match my fiancé's but I wanted a nice engagement ring so I am saving that band for later and wear a lovely white gold ring with six small diamonds in a kind of braided pattern, I love it.

ReputationRep:
    married and still together

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Married, but split a very long time ago - before I could even walk, I think.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually really interesting to know, do you know any websites that I could research Nordic wedding traditions as when I googled it the best thing I got was Yahoo Answers
    Afraid I don't know any! To explain further though, in Finland where my mum's from its not frowned upon to have a family first then marry like it seems to be here. My mum and most of the younger relatives anyway were born from unmarried couples who later married at some point and none of the relationships have gone pear-shaped. And they outweigh the kids born the 'normal' way, but of course some wait til after marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Not married when my brother (22) was born, married when I was born (20), still together.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Intriguing, which country incidentally?
    Finland. They don't seem as stuck in their ways!

ReputationRep:
    Unmarried and split.
    (Original post by syrettd)
    Married (while pregnant) and together.

There's a problem with your unmarried and split option though- how many of these were unplanned pregnancies extremely early on in relationships or even one night stands/short flings, relationships that probably wouldn't have lassted very long anyway? Some of these parents may have even been split by the time the child was born.
    I agree, I think my parents were broken up by the time I was born.

And
    (Original post by maik13)
    they are one example, but if they are committed to each other, then why not get married so people are aware that they are a couple. If it is just a piece of a paper why not just get married if itll make no difference? When they aren't married,most of the time they don't last together due to cheating or so. I dont believe in sex out of marriage, why else has HIV/AIDS increased in the last 40-50 years.
    Wtf?

ReputationRep:
    I have a theory that people such as my grandparents (who were married in 1964 and had my dad in 1965) that are married before having their first child are more likely to stay together forever, whereas people like my mum had her first child unmarried to my sisters dad, then split with him and had me to my dad again unmarried and also had my brother to my dad unmarried and again split with him.

Looking at most peoples parents I know if they were married before they had their first child they are still together to this day and vice versa.
    I think this is due to the bond of marriage, when you get married you make a commitment to be with someone through anything meaning you LOVE them enough to make the vows whereas when you have children unmarried you merely have the commitment of a child and perhaps not love.

I am not intending to offend anyone so apologies if I have It is just a theory I am planning on writing about.

So If you could reply to this thread with:

Married or not married (When they had their first child together)
    and Still together or split

So If I were to reply to this thread I would with:

Unmarried and split
    married and split.

It was a weird one though, doesn't really fit into your theory. They married then split a year later, then got back together then had me 7 or so after being married, then had a couple of minor (ie. temporary splits) throughout my childhood, then finally split permanently when I was 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    Finland. They don't seem as stuck in their ways!
    It's the same in Denmark. No-one cares. No-one's that bothered about marriage themselves either.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Married and split

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.