(Original post by ninuzu)
    He means:
    Quite Pathetic Really
    Queens Park Rangers
    OK, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    OK, calm down.
    I was explaining because you quoted him with a question mark..... I thought you didn't know what he was on about...

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    He means:
    Quite Pathetic Really
    Queens Park Rangers
    OK, calm down.
    I was explaining because you quoted him with a question mark..... I thought you didn't know what he was on about...
    Quite surprised you didn't get that!

:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    QPR and Reading are definitely down

Either Wigan or Stoke will join them (I'm hoping for :yucky: stoke)

ReputationRep:
    ^Not sure about Stoke. Mostly between Villa and Wigan for the fight for 17th place!

It's Wigan-Aston Villa on the final day of the season, that will be crucial decider and determine who fills the final relegation slot. Feels like a 18-pointer and it's definitely a must win.

I predict Villa to snatch it and grab the 2-1 win away from home.

ReputationRep:
    Given Villa looking unlikely to win today (after-all Man U will want to wrap the title up at home and in style, so will be fighting hard), Wigan have Spurs next saturday and Villa don't play again until next Monday, I think Sundays game at Reading will be very interesting. A win condems the looser and keeps the winner in it for at least another day (although Villa have resurgent Sunderland on the Monday, so it might last longer than that), a draw is the end for them both. It should be just constant attack and possibly quite a few goals. Either that or demoralisation will set in with a realisation it's just prolonging the enevitable. Could be even more an issue if one scores as the other will know they need 2 goals to have a chance of staying up. Either way I really can't see either team surviving past the 4th of May at the latest.

As for the others, I think Wigan looks most likely given the fixtures, and the fact that the FA cup means they have 2 more games to play than rest of the teams at the bottom (the final and a game in hand). Think it could come to the last day against Villa though. Hopefully Norwich beat Stoke saturday though and not only get themselves near enough safe but also keep Stoke in the relegation battle.

ReputationRep:
    My. God. Villa. No fight in them tonight - completely outclassed.

ReputationRep:
    No fight? I don't agree with that at all. Especially in the 2nd half.

They've just been outclassed by a better team who were particularly clinical in the first 20 minutes.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In all fairness how many Villa fans would have expected to get something out of the game, given what was at stake for United? They haven't done too badly in the second half.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    No fight? I don't agree with that at all. Especially in the 2nd half.

They've just been outclassed by a better team who were particularly clinical in the first 20 minutes.
    (Original post by sr90)
    In all fairness how many Villa fans would have expected to get something out of the game, given what was at stake for United? They haven't done too badly in the second half.

Given the ball away far to many times and if you've watched the last few performances, the passing has been a lot crisper, they've had smarter ideas etc
    And that's what I was implying - the first 20 minutes took it all out of them.

ReputationRep:
    BBC Football and Harry can't make their mind up in their relegation talk..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    wigan will stay up
    they always do, and i hope they do tbh
    i think newcastle are looking precarious even though villa or stoke are probably what youd expect

ReputationRep:
    QPR and Reading are definitely going down, but the third one is tricky. I can see the18th spot going to the last day of the season. I hope Wigan stay up though, play some good football and a good manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is still one of Sunderland, Newcastle, Wigan, Villa or Stoke.

Sunderland's remaining fixtures:

Villa (A) - DRAW
    Stoke (H) - WIN
    Southampton (H) - DRAW
    Spurs (A) - LOSS
    (5/42)

Newcastle's remaining fixtures:

Liverpool (H) - LOSS
    West Ham (A) - DRAW
    QPR (A) - WIN
    Arsenal (H) - LOSS
    (4/41)

Villa's remaining fixtures:

Sunderland (H) - DRAW
    Norwich (A) - DRAW
    Chelsea (H) - LOSS
    Wigan (A) - ?
    (2-5/36-38)

Stoke's remaining fixtures:

Norwich (H) - DRAW
    Sunderland (A) - LOSS
    Spurs (H) - LOSS
    Southampton (A) - DRAW
    (2/39)

Wigan's remaining fixtures:

Spurs (H) - LOSS
    West Brom (A) - LOSS
    Swansea (H) - WIN
    Arsenal (A) - LOSS
    Villa (H) - ?
    (3-6/34-37)

I really, really do think everything hinges on the very last day.

I think it'll go down to the wire.

In my view, Sunderland and Newcastle who were both at one point looking like relegation candidates and could still go down, will pull away. Sunderland should win at least one more game (Villa, Stoke or Southampton) which will see them to safety. Newcastle should also beat QPR which will see them to safety too.

That leaves us with Stoke, Wigan and Villa.

Stoke being on 37 points now should mean that just two draws will see them to safety. I believe Stoke will pick up these points from Norwich/Sunderland/Southampton. Despite this, I still believe it possible for them to lose every remaining game and still stay up, simply because they're on 37 now. A point less and they would have very serious going down potential.

Wigan and Aston Villa

Wigan and Aston Villa are my picks for the 17th and 18th places. Who will occupy these places will be decided on the last day, IMO.

I have Wigan down to pick up at least one win from their remaining five PL fixtures. I believe this win will come at home to a Swansea side who aren't in the best of form at the moment and probably won't relish a Tuesday night at the DW against a Wigan team fighting for survival. Despite that the fixture is played prior to the cup final, which could result in one of two scenarios.

Either, the players are very up for it because they want to impress Martinez and get included in the cup squad, OR the players shy out of 50:50 balls so they don't miss the cup final out of injury.

It could go either way that game, but if Wigan are going to pick another win up prior to the final day I think that is their best shot.

Aston Villa's games are giving me a bit of a headache.

I'm plumping for averages and saying they'll draw with Norwich away and Sunderland at home. Why? I believe Sunderland's newfound energy will simply be equal to Villa's desperation to escape the drop. A dead heat. Norwich are coasting over the 40 point mark but won't roll over.

Both games are winnable, they could go either way, hence the headache. The Chelsea game is a write-off.

This brings us to Wigan vs Aston Villa on the last day.

In almost every PLP I've done, it has gone down to the final day. Wigan at home, Wigan the masters of escaping the drop and Villa the steady, established PL team who have so little experience at beating relegation.

Could go either way. Villa should stay up with just a point. A Wigan win and Villa are down, IMO.

I've included two tables for reference

ReputationRep:
    Reckon Wigan will do it. They've been here before, they have more experience.
    Wigan to beat Villa on the last day and survive.

Wonder how many points Villa would have without Benteke this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweek)
    Reckon Wigan will do it. They've been here before, they have more experience.
    Wigan to beat Villa on the last day and survive.

Wonder how many points Villa would have without Benteke this season.
    I wonder how many points any given team would have without their top scorer...

ReputationRep:
    I've been a newcastle fan long enough to assume nothing. Still can't quite believe it's come to this after last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    I've been a newcastle fan long enough to assume nothing. Still can't quite believe it's come to this after last season.
    Good choice in team

The scenario was unfortunate this season, with many injuries, no recruits in the summer and more games with Europe it was inevitable that we would be in this position. Next season should be much much better.. it isn't the end of the season yet anyway we could still finish higher! :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.