Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Surely it depends upon the bus driver? I'm from Yorkshire, and as a rule of thumb, I'll always say thank you, but if you are served by one of those drivers who grunts and throws change at you, ain't no way I'm expressing my gratitude towards them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holby_fanatic)
    I always say thank you. There's no reason not to be polite and I think it makes the driver feel better.

This.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you! I think it's really rude not to.

When I was in Canada, the bus driver was wishing everyone who got off the bus a good day even though they were getting off from the door further down. They are amazingly friendly there!

In Scotland, I noticed a lot of people not say thanks. It was my first ever encounter with people who didn't thank the driver. I grew up in Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex2424)
    Surely it depends upon the bus driver? I'm from Yorkshire, and as a rule of thumb, I'll always say thank you, but if you are served by one of those drivers who grunts and throws change at you, ain't no way I'm expressing my gratitude towards them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe they're not having a good day and your expression of gratitude could be the thing that cheers them up?

ReputationRep:
    yes i do. particularly if they wait as you running for the bus:h:. however those type of drivers are few and far between.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'd always say thankyou! It's simply polite, and will result in happier bus drivers across the nation! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I always say thanks, most people do where I live (especially the pensioners), sometimes I feel weird saying it though like when i say thanks to a customer and people always say thanks to me after I've served them where I work, it's thanks for everything when im serving customers.. Thanks after they give me the product, thanks after they give me the money I asked for, thanks after they leave. Don't know what I'm saying thanks for exactly though? But it's nice to be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser87)
    Maybe they're not having a good day and your expression of gratitude could be the thing that cheers them up?
    There's a difference between not having a good day, and deliberately setting out to ruin everyone else's

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you. No harm in being polite

ReputationRep:
    I tend to say thank you to the bus driver on most occasions, many people tend to do the same where I live. The other day I was lucky enough to have a bus driver who actually said thank you to me when I was getting off the bus!

ReputationRep:
    I do sometimes, not always

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, all the time. Some bus drivers appreciate it, some ignore me. Either way, still say it.

I don't know, but a lot of bus drivers in my area seem quite gloomy and down, so I try to cheer them up a little

ReputationRep:
    Who gives two ****s? They're doing their job, I'm too busy listening to my music to give a ****.

I'm not a total prick, but I know that we're under no obligation to say thank you to the bus driver.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much indeedy.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some of the people on here seem to forget that in most buses, especially london buses, the exit is halfway down the bus.

Whereas you might get buses out of London where the only way you have to exit is through the driver side.

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you, I just feel rude not to, when the bus is really late I tell my self I'm not going to say thank you but I always do.
    Also about the litter, yes I find it disgusting. There are always bottles on the floors and they always roll next to my feet. A bus inspector was on the bus once and picked up a can of sardines from the back of the bus

ReputationRep:
    I say thanks to all fellow passengers for a safe journey

ReputationRep:
    depends really. usually when i travel on a single deck bus, people do say thanks, however i've never seen anyone who says thanks on a double deck bus. & i do say thanks when im getting on the bus, as a tap my oyster. in terms of litter chucking, its just pure disgusting, forget the empty bottles there are oily chips and chicken bones on some seats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    I say thank you. Some people do some people dont
    Abysmal post.

ReputationRep:
    Most people on this thread don't live in London lol. Trust me, as has been said, hardly anyone in London says thanks. I don't know why, it's just the way it is. Try thanking the driver during rushhour in a packed bus! Nor is it rude not to say thanks like some people here seem to be implying, at the end of the day, they're doing their job. It's just like purchasing something from a shop, after paying and receiving my purchase I always say thanks added with a "goodbye/see you later". But at the end of the day i would be shocked if someone thought it was rude for not saying thanks to the person doing their job. Although you do come across as a nicer person.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.