Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who will ''win'' the next election? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who will win a majority in the 2015 election?
    Conservative Party
    15.38%
    Liberal Democrats
    1.18%
    Labour Party
    51.48%
    UKIP
    6.51%
    Green Party
    1.78%
    BNP
    1.78%
    No Majority
    21.89%

ReputationRep:
    Anyways I'm gonna win, gonna make money from betting again, I feel it in the water...

ReputationRep:
    Me! I will! Pick me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticsGeek)
    The only useful examples that we can draw upon to make political predictions are those which are contemporary, ie 1979 onwards. Anything prior is generally considered too dated to be applicable.
    Oh yes, and aside from you, who supports this theory and arbitrary cut-off point?

I also find it questionable that you note your feeling of bafflement without elaborating. And a final tertiary point, I feel somewhat insulted that a user whose picture is a curious amalgamation of the St Georges cross and the Union Jack, thought that they be best suited to give me balanced evaluation of my political analysis.
    "A curious amalgamation" - for the love of all that's holy, it's the Royal Navy's white ensign. It's got nothing to do with England or anything of that nature.

Really, if you're going to have a go at someone about flags, at least be able to identify the common ones.

ReputationRep:
    Labour will improve significantly, but I can't see them obtaining a full majority.
    At the moment it looks like we're in for another coalition government, until 2020.
    The Green Party are on the rise, they might snag another seat.
    UKIP will (hopefully) fail to win any seats, but will do well in multiple polls.
    The Lib Dem's will take a significant blow during the next election, they have nothing to fall behind.

ReputationRep:
    This guy says some interesting things.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere between a hung parliament with Labour as largest party, and a Labour majority of around 20-30 seats.

ReputationRep:
    Labour

ReputationRep:
    Lib dems are a joke.
    Don't like the other main parties much, in fact, I hate politics

Having said that, I prefer labour, can't stand Cameron's face

ReputationRep:
    Labour I think. The Lib Dems just keep trying their best to piss off and alienate their supporters by supporting right wing policies, this bedroom tax vote is the latest example. All those Labour voters who went to the Lib Dems because of Blair will are being pushed back to Labour.

ReputationRep:
    Politicians.

The general public are the only people who stand to lose out tbh. I'm quite frankly sick to death of politicians shouting at each other, telling us why the other ones are no good without proposing any alternative themselves.

It's as if they're using the logic of "By making my opposition look wrong, I am automatically right".

ReputationRep:
    Either no majority or Labour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Politicians.

The general public are the only people who stand to lose out tbh. I'm quite frankly sick to death of politicians shouting at each other, telling us why the other ones are no good without proposing any alternative themselves.

It's as if they're using the logic of "By making my opposition look wrong, I am automatically right".
    Another dead-on right comment from you. I like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Quite - the idle rich
    Least rich people dont live off of other people's money via taxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Least rich people dont live off of other people's money via taxes
    Yes they do, most of their activities are done through companies which, even if not based in a tax haven, are subject to corporation tax which is lower than personal. Big business and its CEO's, particularly in sectors which touch on national infrastructure, essentially live on hand-outs from the public purse. Most businesses pay under a living wage and have to be topped up by the government through tax credits, housing benefit etc just so people can afford to live. That is another way they leech off the taxpayer.

The truest benefit scroungers are private businesses.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do, most of their activities are done through companies which, even if not based in a tax haven, are subject to corporation tax which is lower than personal. Big business and its CEO's, particularly in sectors which touch on national infrastructure, essentially live on hand-outs from the public purse. Most businesses pay under a living wage and have to be topped up by the government through tax credits, housing benefit etc just so people can afford to live. That is another way they leech off the taxpayer.

Corporation tax isn't lower than personal tax...?

ReputationRep:
    Labour would've won by a landslide if they voted the other super-popular Milliband. They just need to tell Ed to shut up and do nothing, but he didn't, so there is a risk that, with Lib Dems as a scapegoat, they could possibly pull through. There's so many dodgy stories coming out about Conservatives and Cameron that people could become numb to it.

Boris Johnson will destroy 2020, people love to look and laugh at him, they'll vote for him in their droves.

Still, 50% of super-Conservative TSR think they'll win, so they must be a shoe-in after all.

ReputationRep:

How do rich people receive money from the Government through benefits?

ReputationRep:
    How do rich people receive money from the Government through benefits?
    By heading up a company that does one of the above.

ReputationRep:
    By heading up a company that does one of the above.
    Which Government does so that people remain employed?

and you do realise CEO pay is determined by shareholders, yes?

ReputationRep:
    Which Government does so that people remain employed?

and you do realise CEO pay is determined by shareholders, yes?
    Not sure what you mean by your first sentence.

Yes and shareholders should include workers' representatives like in less dysfunctional societies like Germany.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.