Were the Unions too powerful before Thatcher? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)
    x
    I see how this is going to go.

Me: "Arthur Scargill was a communist, and he was in the pay of the KGB."

You: "He was. Do you believe that all union bosses are members of the KGB?"

Me: "I'm sure that where you have found one, there will be others."

You: "How dare you libel the unions, you coward. I dare you to write that libel in public. There is not one thin sliver of evidence that any union leader other than Scargill was in receipt of funds from the Soviet Union."

Me: 'Arthur Scargill AND Jack Jones'

You: "How dare you libel the unions, you coward. I dare you to write that libel in public. There is not one thin sliver of evidence that any union leader other than Scargill and Jack Jones was in receipt of funds from the Soviet Union."

Excellent comedy value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Really.

But we digress. I'm was more worried about the power that was wielded by blackmailing the tax payer into paying them more. You know. The power cuts, uncollected rubbish, unburied dead.

Anyway, they ended up shafting themselves ultimatl;ey as the electorate got sick and tired and voted a party in 3 times that would stop them, even voting in a party after that that turned it's back on teh trade Union movement.
    If the Tories had placed Scargill as a deep cover mole to destroy the NUM he could hardly have done a better job. Ironically there was always room for a profitable slimmed down coal industry in this country. Mines are not like factories. When the reserves are no longer winnable at a profit, you dig elsewhere. He never saw that. Joe Gormley and his predecessors did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    If the Tories had placed Scargill as a deep cover mole to destroy the NUM he could hardly have done a better job. Ironically there was always room for a profitable slimmed down coal industry in this country. Mines are not like factories. When the reserves are no longer winnable at a profit, you dig elsewhere. He never saw that. Joe Gormley and his predecessors did.
    I wonder what would've happened had the NUM carried on as normal. What would their reaction be to climate change. The left fighting against the left. That would be an interesting one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William Pitt)
    you were more powerful before Thatcher.
    Wow, you're funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandrTheGreat)
    He was. Do you believe that all union bosses are members of the KGB?

No, you see you're confusing the NUM with the Labour Party. They are separate organisations.
    The TUC and PLP are deeply intertwined , the MPs and the party at Large wanted David Millipede but the TUC block votes got them 'red' Ed Millibrain instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    The TUC and PLP are deeply intertwined , the MPs and the party at Large wanted David Millipede but the TUC block votes got them 'red' Ed Millibrain instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And is there anything wrong with that? And no, the party at large didn't want David. Only the PLP, whose votes hold great weight under the leadership election system, wanted David.

Kind of puts paid to your claim that the PLP and TUC are intertwined. Especially as the TUC has no inherent representation in the Labour Party.

TUC sends 0 members to the NEC

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.