Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Haha very funny about the flapping :L

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you just sit there, eat stuff, watch a film, fall asleep and then you've arrived.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By the way, you are no longer allowed to visit the cockpit

ReputationRep:
    I fly a fair few times a year and can say that I've never really had any negative experiences except for annoying hostesses. You many occasionally feel turbulence, but it's nothing to worry about. Security is usually busy..make sure you don't have any liquids in your hand luggage ect.. Make sure you know which gate to go to and try to get there a little early.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you don't go over the baggage limit or your'e gonna have a bad time! Going on a plane is really fun though (the taking off part), although my ears really hurt and pop alot
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I bought suitcase scales the other day there so I should be ok baggage wise! Haha. Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm nervous about leaving my cats, Rambo and Nibbler! Sounds pretty silly I'm sure! My friend is staying up for a few nights and then my mum is staying up when he can't make it and then my friend is coming back up for the last few days to watch them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I bought suitcase scales the other day there so I should be ok baggage wise! Haha. Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'm nervous about leaving my cats, Rambo and Nibbler! Sounds pretty silly I'm sure! My friend is staying up for a few nights and then my mum is staying up when he can't make it and then my friend is coming back up for the last few days to watch them.
    You don't need suitcase scales really. Just use a normal bathroom scales, weigh yourself holding the case then just weigh yourself and subtract the latter number.

One way I have found of getting around the luggage weight restrictions is by wearing a coat with many pockets and simply pack the heavier items in these pockets, wear this through the check in and boarding stage, then take it off and treat it like a second item of hand luggage - bring a large plastic carrier to keep it in if you don't want to wear it all the time.

I have managed to get away with an extra 15kg this way.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the class your travelling in...economy is the best, lovely children whimpering/crying everywhere the best part is when one of these little angels right next to you makes a boo boo in their diaper and the whole place smells of ****...never again! I hate plane rides!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by lilmissshady)
    Depends on the class your travelling in...economy is the best, lovely children whimpering/crying everywhere the best part is when one of these little angels right next to you makes a boo boo in their diaper and the whole place smells of ****...never again! I hate plane rides!!!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I cannot stand kids at all. Knowing my luck there will be a herd of screaming brats sitting behind me :/
    Unfortunetly, I am travelling in economy

ReputationRep:
    Easyjet for your first plane journey.... Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Easyjet for your first plane journey.... Lol
    Could be worse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)
    Could be worse!

I haven't flown with Ryan Air, but if it's much worse than Easy Jet thank God I never have!

ReputationRep:
    Flying is brilliant! It's true that as soon as you're up in the air, you won't even feel anything. It genuinely is like taking a car ride. In terms of Easy Jet - i flew with them a few years back and they were brilliant! Yes it's no frills so you don't get meals or TV but they are very efficient, professional and they get you from A to B (which is all that really matters). Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I haven't flown with Ryan Air, but if it's much worse than Easy Jet thank God I never have!
    Ryanair are much better than Easyjet on things that low cost customers generally care about - mainly price and arriving on time. If they wanted a full service airline they should pay extra and fly BA...

Ryanair will fly you from Airport A to Airport B. Don't expect that to be city centre to city centre. They are upfront about the origin and the destination you are flying to.

The reason Ryanair fly to these out of city airports is because the landing fees are cheaper. How else do people expect to get a flight for only a few pounds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Ryanair are much better than Easyjet on things that low cost customers generally care about - mainly price and arriving on time. If they wanted a full service airline they should pay extra and fly BA...

Ryanair will fly you from Airport A to Airport B. Don't expect that to be city centre to city centre. They are upfront about the origin and the destination you are flying to.

The reason Ryanair fly to these out of city airports is because the landing fees are cheaper. How else do people expect to get a flight for only a few pounds...
    I've looked at ryanair flights, they aren't even that cheap. They talk about flights costing £5 but then you click on it and you have to pay £200 of tax and how much for booking fees and a ridiculous amount for a bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    I've looked at ryanair flights, they aren't even that cheap. They talk about flights costing £5 but then you click on it and you have to pay £200 of tax and how much for booking fees and a ridiculous amount for a bag.
    I've never seen a Ryanair flight for £5 with £200 of tax, so I suspect you are engaging in hyperbole.

Ryanair charge less than £1 for booking fees - I agree, the charge used to be higher, but this was the same for all low cost airlines.

Every low cost airline, including Easyjet charges you for a bag - I assume you mean checked luggage because the standard carry on is free. And why shouldn't they? Why should people who find they can travel with just hand luggage be expected to subsidise the baggage handling costs of those who want to travel with more luggage?

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen a Ryanair flight for £5 with £200 of tax, so I suspect you are engaging in hyperbole.

Ryanair charge less than £1 for booking fees - I agree, the charge used to be higher, but this was the same for all low cost airlines.

Every low cost airline, including Easyjet charges you for a bag - I assume you mean checked luggage because the standard carry on is free.
    not £200, but a flight that says £15.99 on the front page actually costs £72.99 each way. £50 for a bag is a lot more expensive that easy jet.

ReputationRep:
    It's not actually all that. I kind of hate all the airport hassle, and sitting on the plain itself is nothing special. Noisy, horrible artificial air smell, tight seats and not much leg room!

ReputationRep:

Someone seems to like Ryanair a little.... Too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    did that exact flight to Reykjavik on easyjet last year! I love flying, the views when taking off and landing are amazing. Your ears will pop a bit though, just keep swallowing and suck on a boiled sweet or something. have fun in Iceland, have you been there before?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.