Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKIP's manifesto doesn't tell me anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    And why do you think that is? :rolleyes:
    I think because he wasn't a prominent figure. What is noticeable is that although he claims to have been an active Conservative prior to leaving the party there are no reminiscences of his activities in circulation. You would have thought there would be both a golden and a black legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)

If you contrast this agenda with that of the three main parties you can get an idea of the general vision UKIP have for this country.
    First and foremost is EU withdrawal of course, and an end to the "words not deeds" approach of the Lib/Lab/Con who have abused their position of trust.

I concede that their current website is far from comprehensive on policy specifics, but you can view their local manifesto for the May 02nd county council elections here: http://www.ukip.org/media/policies/L...ifesto2013.pdf

Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think because he wasn't a prominent figure. What is noticeable is that although he claims to have been an active Conservative prior to leaving the party there are no reminiscences of his activities in circulation. You would have thought there would be both a golden and a black legend.
    I don't think people want to add to his legend at all. No press for Farage is bad press for Farage, as far as LibLabCon is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    There are two levels to this.

The first is that if there really is going to be a change in the way society is organised then I am afraid the charge against UKIP that they are fascist is proved. Fascism is at its heart an economic system based on the corporate state; the smart uniforms and pogroms are means to achieve those ends, not ends in themselves.
    I would say that is a gross over-simplification, Fascist ideology and practice in the past have been immensely more complex and multi faceted.

The clincher(for me at least) is that all the Fascists I know, don't think UKIP is Fascist and view it as a soft and wet liberal party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    - Ban on gay marriage
    - Referendum on death penalty
    - Referendum on fox hunting

They do have a few good ones but for the most part they are just nationalist old Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    That being said but the real problem is that Nigel Farage and UKIP have not thought of the details if we did leave. It is all 'lets pull out'.

This is the same person who does not know his facts because on QT he confused the EU with the ECHR. Not true because the ECHR is a different organisation
    What a silly thing to say.

I am pretty sure they have given their biggest policy a great deal of thought, and have come to the conclusion that leaving would be more beneficial than staying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    What do you think happens? The judge gives the verdict then they're taken into a room down the corridor and shot?

Not exactly. Here's some food for thought: Criminals who are executed in the USA have more, yes, more spent on them (through a combination of costs from being on death row and the execution itself) than criminals who are imprisoned for life.

Plus, any civilised country doesn't practice execution by firing squad anymore. How barbaric.
    There is no such thing as a civilised country, since a civilised country would have evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable. That means a civilised country would not have crime. Your last point is not valid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    What a silly thing to say.

I am pretty sure they have given their biggest policy a great deal of thought, and have come to the conclusion that leaving would be more beneficial than staying.
    They have not though, it is purely populist rhetoric

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    They have not though, it is purely populist rhetoric
    You actually have no idea do you?

UKIP was founded in 1993, It is their major founding policy they have kept since that date. They have kept to it because they believe in it, regardless of what the public think (which is what politics should be about, belief of an idea that you think is best to run the country). I bet very few people heard of UKIP in 1993, but nowadays they do, because it is INCREASINGLY BECOMING POPULAR. It is not populist rhetoric because before now they were a minority pary before THEREFORE NOT POPULAR. But now as an increasing amount of people believe that leaving the EU is the right thing to do, UKIP is becoming more popular. They are not saying they want to leave the EU just to get popular and get more votes, otherwise they would of dropped this in the 90s, they are saying it because they BELIEVE IT IS RIGHT.They have had two decades to think about it, I'm pretty sure they would of thought about the outcomes of leaving the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    You actually have no idea do you?

UKIP was founded in 1993, It is their major founding policy they have kept since that date. They have kept to it because they believe in it, regardless of what the public think (which is what politics should be about, belief of an idea that you think is best to run the country). I bet very few people heard of UKIP in 1993, but nowadays they do, because it is INCREASINGLY BECOMING POPULAR. It is not populist rhetoric because before now they were a minority pary before THEREFORE NOT POPULAR. But now as an increasing amount of people believe that leaving the EU is the right thing to do, UKIP is becoming more popular. They are not saying they want to leave the EU just to get popular and get more votes, otherwise they would of dropped this in the 90s, they are saying it because they BELIEVE IT IS RIGHT.They have had two decades to think about it, I'm pretty sure they would of thought about the outcomes of leaving the EU.
    I am aware that young people are using UKIP as a way of acting hard in the playground, but surely adults laugh at some of UKIP's policies, don't they?

Conservatives are basically the same as UKIP but have credibility. Why not vote for the credible Tories instead of a party nobody will ever see in power?

ReputationRep:
    One should add that UKIP don't just want the UK to leave the EU, but since the Lisbon treaty was manhandled through, they now want the whole of Europe to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am aware that young people are using UKIP as a way of acting hard in the playground, but surely adults laugh at some of UKIP's policies, don't they?

Conservatives are basically the same as UKIP but have credibility. Why not vote for the credible Tories instead of a party nobody will ever see in power?
    First point is silly, so i'm just going to ignore that. Secondly, UKP and the conservatives are not the same, otherwise people would vote Tory.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.