Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

31 Killed in Iraq, 200 injured - Iraqi lives not worth reporting eh? Watch

ReputationRep:
    it may sound harsh, but bombs go off all the time in iraq. while it is sad, it is hardly surprising. terrorist attacks are far less common in america however, and so are more newsworthy. also, due to the cultural closeness between america and britain a terrorist attack in america is more relevant to us because it could also occur here for similar reasons, whereas an attack in iraq is unlikely to be mimicked here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Three people are killed in Boston and the whole media reports it (don't get me wrong, my sympathies and prayers go to the families and victims).

BUT 31 in Iraq have been slaughtered 200 injured, arguably SEVERAL shades more severe, but it's barely been reported. Where is the sticky for it?

This clearly shows to the general public and coorporate media, and Iraqi blood is worth ten times less. *It is. Even if the intention is to get a 'shocking' story, American lives are worth more. Did we not have two major school shootings in a row? Many casualties in each? A few more violent massacres between that, then this? Every single time, the media has spent weeks on the news stories.

Has anyone ever said 'oh we get school shootings a lot , nothing surprising'.? Why?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

At least 31 people have been killed and more than 200 others wounded in a series of early-morning explosions in cities across Iraq, officials say.
    These were BOMBS guys.

Echoes of what happened when israel led a siege on Gaza. I had to switch to a decent news channel to see people actually reporting the fatalities (many of which were women and children) in the Palestine camp.

Don't take my word for it guys. Go and look at both sides for yourself. Look at the pattern emerging. People in Pakistan and Iraq are getting blown up and the causalities are magnitudes more than in other countries which get far more reporting.

The Iraq bombings do not occur every day. Casualty numbers like this do not even occur weekly,(maybe they sometimes do in short bursts , and it is more frequent than in America, but it's a WAY more tragic event.

I'm not advocating even giving media time proportional to which event is more serious - that would be too fair. I won't even say give them both 50/50. But surely 25/75, rather than the 5/95 ?

Unfortunately, yes, news of a certain type or from a certain region will always be receive more attention than other types of news.

I agree, there SHOULD be far more equal coverage of worldwide news events, but this isn't exactly anything NEW or DIFFERENT. There is no "emerging pattern" - this is the way its always been

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    it may sound harsh, but bombs go off all the time in iraq. while it is sad, it is hardly surprising. terrorist attacks are far less common in america however, and so are more newsworthy. also, due to the cultural closeness between america and britain a terrorist attack in america is more relevant to us because it could also occur here for similar reasons, whereas an attack in iraq is unlikely to be mimicked here.
    America has had a plethora of gun-crime in the past 12 months. Has anyone said anything of it? Or has any tragedy in America been convoluted into weeks over coverage in the media?

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Condolences to everyone be it in America or the middle-east, but we just have to put it into perspective.
    You just hit the nail on the head my friend - perspective. Unfortunately those amerifags will never have or understand perspective, like I said they always think they are victims!

ReputationRep:
    Probably because the news has been full of bombings in Iraq for the last decade now, its not exactly headline drawingwhilst someone bombingamarathon in a relatively safecountry is.

ReputationRep:
    Three people are killed in Boston and the whole media reports it (don't get me wrong, my sympathies and prayers go to the families and victims).

BUT 31 in Iraq have been slaughtered 200 injured, arguably SEVERAL shades more severe, but it's barely been reported. Where is the sticky for it?

This clearly shows to the general public and coorporate media, and Iraqi blood is worth ten times less. *It is. Even if the intention is to get a 'shocking' story, American lives are worth more. Did we not have two major school shootings in a row? Many casualties in each? A few more violent massacres between that, then this? Every single time, the media has spent weeks on the news stories.

Has anyone ever said 'oh we get school shootings a lot , nothing surprising'.? Why?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

At least 31 people have been killed and more than 200 others wounded in a series of early-morning explosions in cities across Iraq, officials say.
    These were BOMBS guys.

Echoes of what happened when israel led a siege on Gaza. I had to switch to a decent news channel to see people actually reporting the fatalities (many of which were women and children) in the Palestine camp.

Don't take my word for it guys. Go and look at both sides for yourself. Look at the pattern emerging. People in Pakistan and Iraq are getting blown up and the causalities are magnitudes more than in other countries which get far more reporting.

The Iraq bombings do not occur every day. Casualty numbers like this do not even occur weekly,(maybe they sometimes do in short bursts , and it is more frequent than in America, but it's a WAY more tragic event.

I'm not advocating even giving media time proportional to which event is more serious - that would be too fair. I won't even say give them both 50/50. But surely 25/75, rather than the 5/95 ?

Iraqis , Syrians , Palestinians ... you name it , if you are a SUNNI MUSLIM, nobody cares about you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.