Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do you believe Messi and Ronaldo are? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    I'm not gonna argue with someone thats gonna bring up one measly goal that someones scored. Also when did i say that it was the teams fault for the failure to qualify for the world cup i said the defence wasn't great. Mate try looking at the consistency for the international teams for the past 8 years.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    :facepalm:
    For goodness sake you're so biased you support Barca your views are invalid cos you love Messi too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)

SUP?

some of the passes u are seeing in that vid messi dreams of being able to do
    Well that was an awful video to pick. You know I was talking about useful, defence breaking passes? Not silly backheels to people behind him. Messi gets about double the assist rate and a far better goal to shot rate.

So what were you saying? That's in a single year as well. Not over a whole career like your stupid video haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    For goodness sake you're so biased you support Barca your views are invalid cos you love Messi too much.
    My favourite player is Torres? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Idiots, Idiots everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Ronaldo has never been "close" to Messi in my opinion. Even in 2008, when Barca played Man. United Ronaldo did nothing in both ties and missed a penalty whereas Messi played about 30 minutes in the 2nd leg and ran rings around the Man. United defenders. Ronaldo also gave a stupid foul away in the last seconds which gave Barca a free kick which they could have scored from and thus went through. Ronaldo was lucky he didn't knock his team out after his shocker in both legs. Ronaldo scored more goals and was in a team that won the Champions League that year, that's the only reason people thought he was the better player of the two back then.

Only a few nutcases and Man. United fans still seriously think that Ronaldo is better than Messi. Ronaldo is the better athlete and deserves a lot of credit for being so obsessed with bettering Messi (and thus improving his own level in the process) but Messi is the better footballer, there is no doubt about it, forget all the stats and just watch them both play. Ronaldo's game is basically pace, power, shooting and heading and that's not a discredit to him, he does it well but he is machine-like in his style. Messi's is sheer artistry, there's nothing he cannot do. Messi is the better passer, free kick taker, penalty taker, dribbler, creator, shooter, goalscorer... he's better. The only area I'd say Ronaldo tops him (other than the physical side to the game and those attributes will wane and affect Ronaldo's game far more) is headers and even then Messi is no slouch there (this is the same Messi who scored a header against Ronaldo's Man. United in 2009 to win the CL). Messi is by far the superior footballer.

Messi is on another level, it's not a narrow gap. He's a world class winger, playmaker and striker rolled into one.
    Agreed with most of that except the part where you said messi is a better free kick taker

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ha Torres, you gotta love it when he scores though.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo is the better player in my opinion.
    Barcelona play a system where everything is directed through Messi. He scores all of their goals. That's why he always wins the Golden boot. But if Messi wasn't in the side- other players from Barcelona would score more goals. Its as if the 10 players on the pitch have to compromise their talent and game just to let Messi have all the limelight and get all the goals.
    Cristiano is totally different. Benzema and Higuain also score an incredible amount of goals (like that season when they both got over 30), but Ronaldo still manages to score an insane amount. Imagine that Ronaldo was played up top on his own with no competition, and all of Real Madrid's play was directed towards him- how many goals could he get? I'm not saying he would get more than Messi or anything but you can't base everything between the players on goals because Messi gets so many more goals because the whole team makes sure he does; Ronaldo gets goals in spite of other players also scoring many.
    I think ultimately that will be Barcelona's downfall. Its not that they are over-reliant on Messi, but it is that they are so used to giving him the ball and giving him all the goals because that's the way they play. Like the first half against PSG- they looked totally lost.
    I'm probably going to get about 50 negs for this post but I don't really care- its my opinion and I personally think that many people (including the media) read too much into Messi's goals without actually realising that Barcelona basically play for him.

ReputationRep:
    I think messi in a barca team built around him is better than ronaldo in the madrid team.

However if I had the option to buy one of them and one only i would probably go for ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I am too right now but Torres will always be the 07 Torres in my mind. :laugh:

People said i was nuts when i put 10 pounds on him to be top scorer at the Euro's as well

(Original post by Aqib7)
    Ha Torres, you gotta love it when he scores though.
    Dunno what that feeling is like anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    I think messi in a barca team built around him is better than ronaldo in the madrid team.

However if I had the option to buy one of them and one only i would probably go for ronaldo.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Litterbug)
    Ronaldo is the better player in my opinion.
    Barcelona play a system where everything is directed through Messi. He scores all of their goals. That's why he always wins the Golden boot. But if Messi wasn't in the side- other players from Barcelona would score more goals. Its as if the 10 players on the pitch have to compromise their talent and game just to let Messi have all the limelight and get all the goals.
    What and this hasn't happened with Ronaldo? Er, Rooney playing on the wing?

Cristiano is totally different. Benzema and Higuain also score an incredible amount of goals (like that season when they both got over 30), but Ronaldo still manages to score an insane amount. Imagine that Ronaldo was played up top on his own with no competition, and all of Real Madrid's play was directed towards him- how many goals could he get?
    Arguments based on hypothetical scenarios aren't really a good way to prove a point.

I'm not saying he would get more than Messi or anything but you can't base everything between the players on goals because Messi gets so many more goals because the whole team makes sure he does; Ronaldo gets goals in spite of other players also scoring many.
    I'm sure the team are more concerned with winning games and trophies than merely helping to bump up Messi's goal count for the sake of it. If they play through him it's because he's a good finisher and goalscorer, so basically you're saying he's only scoring so many goals because he's a good finisher/goalscorer; how is that supposed to be a criticism .

Plus Ronaldo takes every Real Madrid free kick, whereas Messi shares his with Xavi, so there's one example of the Barca team not "making sure" Messi scores as many goals as possible.

I think ultimately that will be Barcelona's downfall. Its not that they are over-reliant on Messi, but it is that they are so used to giving him the ball and giving him all the goals because that's the way they play. Like the first half against PSG- they looked totally lost.
    I'm probably going to get about 50 negs for this post but I don't really care- its my opinion and I personally think that many people (including the media) read too much into Messi's goals without actually realising that Barcelona basically play for him.
    They don't, he's just that good.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo is better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Royale)
    Ronaldo is better.
    Messi is herp derp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    Well that was an awful video to pick. You know I was talking about useful, defence breaking passes? Not silly backheels to people behind him. Messi gets about double the assist rate and a far better goal to shot rate.

So what were you saying? That's in a single year as well. Not over a whole career like your stupid video haha.
    ronaldo video was defo more impressive

im seeing the guy split defences open with every single body part. chest, back, knee, head, face. with messi, again it's the same little dink every time. seen it all before bro

ronaldo will rape messi's mother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    I find it quite annoying when people say stuff like this Messi plays for Barcelona which is probably the biggest one man team in the world I know that the likes on Xavi and Iniesta could be an argument for this but there roles are to set up goals for Messi to score. I'm not saying that Messi is bad by any means on the contrary he's pretty damn amazing and is up their with the likes of Maradona, Pele and Zidane. However, in terms of depth of goals how many times have you seen Messi score an amazing 30+ yard strike. Also how many headed goals has he scored I know he's not tall but when has that been an excuse. On the other hand, if you want a complete and well rounded player you should look no further than Cristiano Ronaldo, he can strike from out of the box, he can score headers, he can score tap-ins, he can take players on (not as well as Messi I know). Also he's proved his worth with two teams and for madrid he has scored 190+ goals in like 189 games. All in all Messi in practise is a 6 yard box scorer and nobody can say who is better out of each player as they're completely different Messi is the only striker playing for Barcelona hence the high reliance upon him (this could have been seen when he came on late against PSG in the CL second leg) whereas, Ronaldo is a winger when he plays for Madrid. So in fairness i don't think that Messi is better than Ronaldo or infact the best player of all time until I see him single handedly lift the World Cup. We've seen Ronaldo consistently take Portugal to Semi-finals and quarter finals in both the world cup and euro cup with an extremely below average set of team mates whereas Messi has the likes of Aguero, Tevez, Lavezzi and Di Maria bolstering up the attack and they've done nothing.
    Both players are the same in my eyes until either one lifts the world cup.
    I'm sure this made sense to you, but I've tried to read it 3 times and I give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    messi is in a barca team built around him
    this. we've seen ronaldo do his dirt for united, madrid and portugal. messi outside barcelona (i.e. argentina) looks confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aqib7)
    Thats my point why aren't Ronaldo's portugal gonna make the world cup (because the players are all ****). Obviously you don't win without a defence Argentina's defence is solid but you need scorers as well don't you and on the big stage i've not seen Messi do that. And mate go on youtube and type in Messi's goals 2012-2013. Btw i have nothing against messi, i like both players but you have to look at there overall attributes. Messi was brought up with his team mates as little kids they've always layed football together. Ronaldo was bought in from united and has made a name for himself.
    Where they came from etc makes absolutely no difference. Messi is better.

ReputationRep:
    Heskey is beyond both of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.