Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At least nobody brought up the "wind turbines kill birds" argument. :rolleyes:

Does anybody know of any papers on the costs of different sources I could look at? I was originally going to say hydro was the future but then I noticed the paper I was reading was including subsidies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Our approach to wind and solar power needs to become more like the Netherlands. Massive wind farms are rejected in favour of individual turbines and solar panels for each house. If we can make individual properties self-sufficient it'll take huge strain off the national grid and satisfy people opposed to big wind farms.
    This would definitely be preferable, but there are still problems, the big one being that wind is not reliable; they would also more more offensive to many people than flat solar sheets. I would personally favour emphasis on house solar panels, as well as the desert solar fields desertec and others have planned, hydroelectric dams and nuclear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit late to this but, Wind farms are great! If they weren't efficient they wouldn't be thousands of wind turbines built. OP says they have been reported to blow up in some instances but wants to fund Nuclear Power more where we don't know exactly how to store the waste and if a Nuclear station was to pop, millions more people would be effected compared to a turbine explosion. Therefore, no to the petition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaki_B)
    I'm a bit late to this but, Wind farms are great! If they weren't efficient they wouldn't be thousands of wind turbines built.
    They're not being built because they are efficient. They are being built because government policy makes people who build them slightly richer. There is no market incentive to build wind turbines because they are crap; the incentive is provided by moronic legislation which was drafted in order to please land owners who benefit financially from turbines and to please armchair environmentalists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    This petition is about trying to stop any wind farms, or individual wind turbines from being created using government money. Wind turbines are not an efficient source of green energy, they are ugly, loud, widely opposed by the public and have been known to explode. They also will not become Carbon Neutral until the year 2020. There are many more viable green and other sensible energy producing options. Therefore the money gained from this would be used to invest in other energy means, preferably tidal power, and investment into nuclear facilities.
    Whilst I agree that our main source of power should not be wind (it should really be nuclear), it's not for any of the reasons you've stated. The main problem with wind turbine is not efficiency, but reliability. We simply don't have enough continuous wind to make wind farms work. However, they are very good for small scale use; powering individual buildings, for example. As for the way they look, I actually quite like them.

All that said, we do require power from multiple sources, and wind, although it shouldn't be the main one, is one of them. So no.

P.S. People here really need to stop this negging nonsense. It's ridiculous.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Division! Clear the lobby!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.