Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricardobrew)
    P2 isnt continous - the years are not all there from 1998 - 2009, i thought a scatter graph would be better?
    As a data type time is continuous, it doesn't matter that some intermediate values are missing, although a scattergraph would work too, just not a bar chart as there is no categoric data

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicejackson95)
    What do you mean know youre way around the booklet? Just like where different things are? Is there know actual figures and information that I need to learn for it?
    As in know your links for the different figures and have an idea of the kind of things you can talk about on each page if any question were to come up about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JObertelli)
    I don't think that P2 could be put into a bar graph as both dat sets are continuous, so I would say line graph, having years on the x axis and then the temperature anomaly on the y axis.
    I thought about this but then thought a line graph wouldn't work because of having years missing e.g. 2008 therefore the plotted temperature anomalies wouldn't be able to be joined to form a continuous set of data

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain the responses to both the Christchurch and Darfiled earthquake pleasee?? I have a feeling maybe this may come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JObertelli)
    I don't think that P2 could be put into a bar graph as both dat sets are continuous, so I would say line graph, having years on the x axis and then the temperature anomaly on the y axis.
    But how would you accommodate for the missing years? 1999 2009 and 2009 i think

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i have some last minute questions to ask.....

1. what is the future for the residents of christchurch?
    2. to what extent can the canterbury plains be seen as an unstable region?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverCross1)
    hey guys i have some last minute questions to ask.....

1. what is the future for the residents of christchurch?
    2. to what extent can the canterbury plains be seen as an unstable region?

thanks
    1. This im not sure about. But you could mention and quote from the email exchange how Lisa mentions out migration of people in her field of work (doctors) move back home or away from the area, you would feel if this was the case in her area of work it would also be the case in many other areas of work. Possibly leading to a 'drain brain' in the the area...? that's all I could think off

2. I would say it's not unstable, if it were unstable you would see more rock formations and mountains and other geological formations associated with plate movement. As the plains are relatively flat, this in my opinion shows that the area is quite stable especially compared to other areas on the island

ReputationRep:
    Can anyonw explain what Item 5 is supposed to be showing / saying? And what I would use it for / write about it in tomorrows exam? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Can anyonw explain what Item 5 is supposed to be showing / saying? And what I would use it for / write about it in tomorrows exam? Thanks x
    Its showing how a particular family is coping in the aftermath of an earthqauke.
    It shows us that the effects they are describing are quite fitting of what you would expect in an LEDC & not a MEDC, so you could mention possibly people were unprepared. Yes maybe buildings had be designed not to collapse completely to help save laves, but were the local population ready?

Also could mention the a possible drain brain as Lisa says doctors are leaving the area, this is probably happening in different sectors too, and the effect this would have (e.g. negative economic effect)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farzyy)
    International Response - Chinese Government gave USD$ 500,000 to the earthquake appeal
    Fund raising events such as 'Fill the basin' - a cricket match including ex NZ internationals raised $500,000

Impacts
    10,000 houses to be demolished due to damage
    Liquefaction meant many areas of Christchurch could not be built on
    Landslides occurred in many suburbs e.g. Sumner area
    1/2 of the buildings of over 5 storeys have had to be demolished due to damage
    Christchurch hospital was partially evacuated but managed to stay open to treat injured
    There were 181 deaths in total with 115 of them happening in the Canterbury TV building!

Infrastructure Response
    Army and volunteer groups supplied milk & water
    Multiple companies worked day and night to fix electricity and piping and sewage
    Over 7,000 portaloo's were brought in
    Air New Zealand put on extra flights and flights for $50 one way to other NZ airports for families affected

Be careful, other sites say this but the booklet says there were 185 deaths so go with this

ReputationRep:
    hi, can someone tell me what questions they think will come up for each part of the booklet? i want to know what things i should focus on so i can prepare my answers. im really stuck!! would appreciate the help x

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a few questions that I would appreciate so so so much if anyonw could answer them?

1) New Zeland is a sparsley populated country. Explain why this is beneficia considering the complex tectonics which operate accross the country. (10 marks)

2) What are the issues the authorities should consider when tackling the rebuilding and repair of the city? (15 marks)

3)Discuss the view that Christchurch would have been almost back to normal by January 2011, after the Darfield earthquake, it it wasnt for aftershocks. (10 marks)

I WOULD LOVE IT IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER ANY OF THESE FOR ME!!!!

ReputationRep:
    how would u answer the question 'critically evaluate the use of the websites mentioned in item 6 by planners and local people' (7 marks) PLEASE HELP x

ReputationRep:
    Would it be right to say if the fault line continues to unzip west to east releasing stress down the line, and if this continues into the ocean then the city of Christchurch is at a much higher risk of a tsunami?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain how on earth I would answer a 15 mark questions on "to what extent can the Canterbury Plains be seen as an unstable region?" Im really struggling to even get a few marks for it? Thaanks x

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a few questions that I would appreciate so so so much if anyonw could answer them?

1) New Zeland is a sparsley populated country. Explain why this is beneficia considering the complex tectonics which operate accross the country. (10 marks)

2) What are the issues the authorities should consider when tackling the rebuilding and repair of the city? (15 marks)

3)Discuss the view that Christchurch would have been almost back to normal by January 2011, after the Darfield earthquake, it it wasnt for aftershocks. (10 marks)

I WOULD LOVE IT IF ANYONE COULD ANSWER ANY OF THESE FOR ME!!!!
    My brain is pretty much fried from trying to remember so much info but ill attempt number 1

Wouldn't you just talk about how prone NZ is to tectonic activity (as seen in P7 as activity is constant)
    You could also talk about how there appears to be many unknown faults as that is what caused the Christchurch earthquake and there are likely to be many more due to the constant quakes
    The quakes all tend to be shallow focus too making them extremely powerful
    There are also some parts of NZ which are classes as an exclusion zone and therefore if more people were to move to the country, certain cities would become more densely populated which would increase death tolls if another major earthquake were to occur -especially if it was during the day such as the Christchurch earthquake
    There is also the issue that buildings were constructed for a 1in500year event scale to make then earthquake proof but the Christchurch earthquake was later said to be a 1in2500 year event therefore the infrastructure did not stand a chance - if the are had a higher density then the impacts would have been even more catastrophic

Hope this helps, sorry if some of it isn't great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hclarke20)
    Would it be right to say if the fault line continues to unzip west to east releasing stress down the line, and if this continues into the ocean then the city of Christchurch is at a much higher risk of a tsunami?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, thats not the case! A major tsunami is very unlikely. Calculations of the possible tsunami that may occur if the magnitude 7.1 Sept 4th earthquake were to occur offshore in the future indicate the hazard is mostly restricted to beach areas and estuaries. A number of aftershocks associated with the September 2010 earthquake and the 22 February 2011 earthquake have occurred offshore to the east of Christchurch, and further aftershock activity of a generally declining nature in that region is expected. We know that to generate a significant tsunami generally requires earthquakes larger than magnitude 7.5, and a substantial vertical displacement of the sea floor.

ReputationRep:
    should we quote from the booklet or put the info into our own words? also 'should christchurch rebulid and expand?' - how would you answer that? x

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm fcked

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisBoz)
    Well I'm fcked

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me too!
    Can't even sleep so gonna be a walking zombie tomorrow
    Oh the joys

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.