Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Does it work?

Thanks.
    Homeopathy remedies are typically inexpensive and therefore provide an affordable approach to healing.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Stylishhair)
    Homeopathy remedies are typically inexpensive and therefore provide an affordable approach to healing.
    Tap water would be cheaper and just as effective.

ReputationRep:
    No, because it doesn't work. It's just a scam that exploits desperate, vulnerable people.

ReputationRep:
    Homeopathy works on this basis as taught at my friends medical school:

If you drank a whole bottle of vodka...well you wouldn't feel very well!
    However, homeopathy is based on the more dilute with water that bottle of vodka is, the more drunk you will become...

Sounds ridiculous right?!

When homeopathy was 'invented' people did not know about Avogadro's number and particles etc

Homeopathy is nothing more than water and any benefit would be psychological. I wouldn't want anyone to waste their money! If you are not wanting to take medication, there are plenty of natural/herbal medicines around that are likely to be beneficial. Anythings better than overpriced water!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Yep, but it doesn't rule out that unconscious effects might be stronger Essentially, we know nothing about the placebo effect except that it works in many situations; we've done experiments to work out in which situations it works, and how well; and those experiments tell us that it works both when you think it works, and also when you think it won't :P
    Then why bother with double blind trials? If it doesn't make a difference? Sorry if that's a daft question, it justs seems logical

(Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Yeah, false equivalence here. Regular medicine can affect different patients differently if their body has an unexpected reaction to the active ingredients therein (as individual mutations, diet, lifestyle substances ingested other than the drug and so on can cause the drug to have unexpected side activity.

Homoeopathy can't vary this way, as it has no active ingredient in it. There simply is nothing there to have an effect. The suggestibility of an individual would be the only individual variation which could alter its efficacy.
    I have had weird reactions to most medicine and no one has been able to explain why, it happens a lot. Would it not follow therefore thatif individuals are different, certain people may be more sensitive to certain things and therefore benefit from homeopathy?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by notnek)
    No it didn't
    What? :lolwut:

Yes it did...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    Yes. But there are reasons for people having adverse effects to different drugs, and scientists have documented these reasons. Why has no one found the reason people have different reactions to Homeopathy?
    What about when people react in a way that is unexpected and not even a recognised side effect? I'll list them, I hallucinated from a local anaestheic and it wasn't just a hallucination, it made me believe I'd been captured by the FBI..., had seizures on tranexamic acid, had a paradoxical reaction on benzos (this is the only doccumented one), has no effect at all from triptans no pain releif,

I could go on. Why has this happened? No one has been able to explain it. So I'm skeptical when people claim a one size fits all approach to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    What? :lolwut:

Yes it did...
    If you're talking about some homeopathic sulphur 'remedy', which contains just water, it did nothing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Sure, I use Bach Flowers. I use White Chestnut myself, just drop it into my drink if I feel stressed. There are others though, and you can mix them. I like them because if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, it's not going to give me a ****load of effects like SSRIs. And I can take it when I feel stressed as opposed to an ongoing thing. And for me it seems to work. It's not a popular opinion, but different strokes for different folks
    Ever thought it's probably a placebo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Why is that a reason to stop taking it?

ReputationRep:
    I was always given homeopathic medicines for very minor issues when I was little (things like bruise or stomach aches). We got them on the NHS so no cost for us. They certainly worked for me at the time, but most likely as a placebo.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think so, I've explained why in this thread. However if it is, I really don't care that much. Nothing else works for me, this does. I really don't see why that pisses off so many people. Does someone getting relief from anxiety really annoy them? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Why is that is a reason to stop taking it?
    Thank you. I really don't care why it works. I doubt it is a placebo, but even if it is, if it works for me what's the problem? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    What about when people react in a way that is unexpected and not even a recognised side effect? I'll list them, I hallucinated from a local anaestheic and it wasn't just a hallucination, it made me believe I'd been captured by the FBI..., had seizures on tranexamic acid, had a paradoxical reaction on benzos (this is the only doccumented one), has no effect at all from triptans no pain releif,

I could go on. Why has this happened? No one has been able to explain it. So I'm skeptical when people claim a one size fits all approach to this
    So for Homeopathy, you are saying that water has a different reaction to you than to other people? That's fine. It doesn't mean homeopathy works though, it means water works.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Personally I don't think so, I've explained why in this thread. However if it is, I really don't care that much. Nothing else works for me, this does. I really don't see why that pisses off so many people. Does someone getting relief from anxiety really annoy them? :erm:
    I'm not getting pissed off, I'm just saying it's probably more likely a placebo effect rather than the actual ingredients of it. There's no denying that it works for you, i'm just questioning what makes it work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Why is that a reason to stop taking it?
    Where did I say he should stop taking it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    So for Homeopathy, you are saying that water has a different reaction to you than to other people? That's fine. It doesn't mean homeopathy works though, it means water works.
    It's not just tap water, there are dilutions in it. Very minute dilutions, but they are still there.

I'm not getting pissed off, I'm just saying it's probably more likely a placebo effect rather than the actual ingredients of it. There's no denying that it works for you, i'm just questioning what makes it work.
    Not you, but I'm being interrogated and negged to hell for stating my opinion on a thread that asked for it which is really annoying. It's as if no one can say anything that goes against popular opinion. I thought this site was supposed to be for people intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stylishhair)
    Inexpensive for a remedy (which they aren't)? Yes.

Inexpensive for water (which they are)? No.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I say he should stop taking it?
    Sorry, I see you hadn't joined in the general lambasting of placebos.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just tap water, there are dilutions in it. Very minute dilutions, but they are still there.
    The concentration is too low, it is negligible. It is water.
    If it isn't just water then why is it not possible to overdose?

I thought this site was supposed to be for people intelligent.
    Why is someone who believes in Homeopathy on it then?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.