Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did context 2, it was alright. What were the questions for context 1?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a few of you did the context 2 25 markers wrong.

The questions wasn't asking to assess the possibly methods of intervention, and the pros and cons of those.
    It asked you to assess the cases whether a government SHOULD or SHOULDN'T intervene.

i.e.

list the reasons the government should intervene (and a exemplar method)
    list the reasons the government shouldn't intervene (gov failure)
    conclude whether they should/shouldn't

or, maybe I have massively failed this exam. Can anyone tell me the definite way of answering this question? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdebayoAkinfenwa)

The questions wasn't asking to assess the possibly methods of intervention, and the pros and cons of those.
    It asked you to assess the cases whether a government SHOULD or SHOULDN'T intervene.

i.e.

or, maybe I have massively failed this exam. Can anyone tell me the definite way of answering this question? :/
    Pretty certain it was assessing whether or not governments should intervene. So you are correct that you would do a paragraph on why the government should intervene and give an example (such as providing information/ raising awareness about the health risks of using mobile phones or putting fines in place to stop talking on the phone while driving). You would then do a paragraph against government intervention (could cause government failure, expensive, may not be market failure at all, etc.) And then you would need to conclude and evaluate at the end

ReputationRep:

i.e.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN10.PDF

Question 4 is pretty similar to context 2 and by this I think both ways are acceptable I did two examples of intervention and then said about how one could lead to gov failure and then used the data to make a judgement

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, did anyone remember getting DDDD for the first 4 or so questions? It seemed strange to me, and obviously if no-one remembers, then I screwed that up.

Also, if anyone is really good at DRQ, what band of marks do you think these responses to context 1 (tuition fees) would get? I've never got the hang of these questions.

Q3 - 12 marker) I drew a diagram of education being a merit good that is under provided by the market, with MSB being to the right of MSC. I spent one paragraph explaining positive externalities of education, and another paragraph explaining consumer irrationality, and how that leads to a reduced perceived benefit, and therefore, underconsumption.

Q4 - 25 marker) - Brief intro on how markets work.
    - Explained merit goods as a market failure, which is why the government subsidises tuition costs (a lot of the same stuff as Q3)
    - I argued that students should pay because subsidies are a government failure (only a few students at the margin are incentivised, the rest are already in uni, but get discounts anyway)
    - I argued that students should have to pay for the profits they will get from education, but only if they earn more than £21,000 as per the coalition government's plans, so that students only have to pay the MPC of education if they get a decent return on MPB. This should prevent issues of equity.
    - I argued that forcing students to pay £9000 a year prevents moral hazard of people simply going to uni because its cheap or for the social life. The opportunity cost of these students being heavily subsidised is that they could join the labour market. Tuition fees also encourage more competition between universities as consumers are more careful where they allocate their money increasing quality.
    Conclusion - Tuition fees reduces the number of students, but that may not be a bad thing. Only those whose marginal private benefit exceeds the marginal cost will stay on.

ReputationRep:

i.e.

Darn, I did the way you said we shouldn't do it. I guess the most amount of marks I can get for the 25 marker would be about 10 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnerz)
    Darn, I did the way you said we shouldn't do it. I guess the most amount of marks I can get for the 25 marker would be about 10 then?

look at Q4 it is quite similar and by the looks of it both can be used and no analysis is about 15 marks and analysis on this is pretty much just looking at an example don't lose hope. I posted this about 20 mins above (sorry for spamming guys). Plus evaluation on this can be discussing the effectiveness of different types intervention, government failure and whether it is likely to reduce or correct the market failure. This is not 100% but I'm guessing the mark scheme for it will be similar to this one so both ways are likely to be correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)

look at Q4 it is quite similar and by the looks of it both can be used and no analysis is about 15 marks and analysis on this is pretty much just looking at an example don't lose hope. I posted this about 20 mins above (sorry for spamming guys). Plus evaluation on this can be discussing the effectiveness of different types intervention, government failure and whether it is likely to reduce or correct the market failure. This is not 100% but I'm guessing the mark scheme for it will be similar to this one so both ways are likely to be correct.
    Nice! My outlook on the whole exam got a bit better. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For All:
    I should be able to download the complete paper on this thread by the end of this week.

For context 1:
    It was not asked that you talk about different types of government intervention ie- min/max controls etc. The question outlined whether or not students should/ should not pay for their own university funding. This was also exemplified in extract A where it outlined other means of funding ie- from sponsorers and selling research abroad.
    If you wished to discuss different types of government intervention then you would have achieved much better marks in context 2 which clearly highlighted that you do so.

The essence of context 1 was to discuss market failure in terms of equity and fairness for poorer individuals. If this was discussed (in depth for a paragraph) then you would meet various criteria on the mark scheme. Other issues with their respective evaluative points include:

. Government should not pay for education because there may be a failure of information in terms of the amount of funding required which could jeopardize quality.
    . Students should not fund because of equity (market failure issues).
    . Students are the only ones benefiting
    . Society benefits through greater labour productivity.
    . Should be payed for by selling research abroad (evaluative point was discussed in extract A)
    . Can be given by donors (evaluative point was discussed in extract A)

ReputationRep:
    My teacher said if that you DID NOT include at least 3 relevants terms and a graph you can't go over 17 marks (in the 25 marker)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarmu)
    My teacher said if that you DID NOT include at least 3 relevants terms and a graph you can't go over 17 marks (in the 25 marker)
    That is entirely wrong. Previous mark schemes have suggested that writing two points can merit a band 5 response (though this is risky of course).

The mark scheme also states 'additionally' that graphs act as a means of analysis, hence this analysis can also be explored through writing and full marks can be acquired by doing so.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a year which had a similar 25 market to context 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For all those who did context 1:

Education is NOT a public good. Never was and never will be. It is a merit good- do not confuse the two.

ReputationRep:
    What diagram did people draw for section a, question 3? The one about market underproviding education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valkers)
    Yes. Well at least that's what I put, that's the definition in the text book. How did people find the multiple choice? In my opinion it was difficult in places. I'm a little worried that I only chose option C once out of the entire 25 questions. Did anyone else find themselves in a similar position?
    yeah hardly any of my answers were C! mostly D's if I remember correctly! Odd I thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livwhitaker)
    yeah hardly any of my answers were C! mostly D's if I remember correctly! Odd I thought
    I had the same feeling - my first 4 answers were all D which had me really worried! At least other people are getting some Ds in MCQ as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnerz)
    I genuinely think I've flunked this exam. I'm typically pessimistic, but this was something else. The multiple choice was hard for me, I was only certain on about 5 answers. The 5 marker I got, as did I on the 8 and 12, I think I got full marks on them. But on the 25 marker I just crumbled. I did the phone one and said that the government could intervene by setting a minimum price level on phones, and subsiding hands free phone things, and one other point but I think it was wrong. I counter-argued my points but I think they were just bad. Anyone else have this type of day?
    this basically describes my day!! this is exactly how I feel about the exam and having done context 2 also, I think that the 5, 8 and 12 marker were okay but the 25 I waffled my way through and don't think I made a good enough evaluation or judgement at the end! (hopefully the grade boundaries will be low)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanmeet)
    What diagram did people draw for section a, question 3? The one about market underproviding education?
    i did the positive externalities diagram for merit goods with the marginal social costs and marginal private costs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wowzerss)
    Does anyone know a year which had a similar 25 market to context 2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if you haven't already look at my post a few before your post it has the mark scheme for a very similar question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shakira.A)
    i did the positive externalities diagram for merit goods with the marginal social costs and marginal private costs etc.
    yay i did the same!
    pretty sure i flopped the 25 mark questions :/
    aah well, just gotta make up for it in unit 2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.