Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On average what's more dangerous 'alcohol' or 'weed'? watch

• View Poll Results: What's more dangerous 'alcohol' or 'weed'?
    Alcohol
    87.04%
    Weed
    12.96%

ReputationRep:
    I hate the smell of cannabis, and I hate the notion of drinking. As far as I'm concerned both are as despicable as one another.

ReputationRep:
    alcohol. damages organs in the long run, makes you pass out etc
    weed however, well marijuana has some health benefits, no one has ever died from smoking weed. the most that can happen is you get high, but you never pass out etc.

ReputationRep:
    added poll anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penguinman1)
    Stoners will, as if it's a god-given right, and in the most haughty and disdainful manner, protect their weed-smoking until the day they die. For them weed provides absolutely no harm to family, friends, employment or life. This is obviously not true. Cannibus affects people in different ways. I know people who are hooked on the plant, and I know people (including myself) who smoke in moderation and enjoy perfectly healthy and happy lives. And for those who argue weed should be legalised, think again. Weed is already 'legalised'. Anyone can get it anywhere they wish. If the police find you with a joint, you get a warning only. It's practically already reclassified. The police have better things to do than bust a person smoking weed. Think of the utter waste of resources, when they could be tackling more serious problems such as rape and murder.
    Lmao, the irony.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what everyone is saying about alcohol is probably worse and maybe this is because it is more readily available. However, I have witnessed the psychological impact weed can have, especially to those who have had some form of trauma in their life. I have drank alcohol to the point of excessive and, to be quite honest, it scares me how quickly one can lose all sense of responsibility when drunk so I am more cautious with it (in my old age :P). Weed doesn't not interest me in the slightest, in fact I was just sat near someone who smelt so heavily of weed it was horrible! But I have no judgement, if people want to drink and smoke weed so be it

ReputationRep:
    Exploding potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    See, I'd argue that there is no rule when it comes to tokers.

I'm friends with loads of 'em, and for the most party we're a happy go lucky bunch with good work ethics and rather lovely lives. :yep:
    Yeah..

I guess it's one of those issues that's full of opinions. I don't even know where I stand regarding its legality.

However, I do have a personal dislike of it seeing what it has done to people I know and the negative effect it had on me..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I hope that's not directed at me :rolleyes:
    I'm doing perfectly fine.
    Huh? No I'm pretty sure I was agreeing with you. I was making a general point...

ReputationRep:
    Weed isn't for everybody AND DOES CAUSE PARANOIA at times but I reckon half the paranoia wouldn't be there if it wasn't illegal and didn't have a bull**** stigma about it. Alcohol can cause people to be violent and dangerous whereas weed is more of a loving drug. Alcohol is addictive and if an alcoholic quits cold turkey there is a fair chance they will literally DIE. Alcohol can ruin peoples lives but in fairness so can weed, personally I think weed should be legalised - even though I myself prefer alcohol for multiple reasons. But there really is not much wrong with weed and the fact it is a Class B drug is ridiculous and laughable. It can cause problems with heavy use though but obviously so does alcohol. Basically I would say they are the same but stoned guy doesn't do damage to others like a drunk guy might. Also you probably wont do something you regret whilst high whereas you would when pissed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    This is a very interesting forum. I have a 16 year old son, who has been smoking cannabis regularly for the last 6 to 9 months. I worry about him so much. He is right in the middle of his GCSE`s[he had an exam just this morning]. He is naturally quite lazy anyway, and although extremely clever, has had to be pushed by me his whole life to go to school /do his homework, etc. Taking 7 GCSE`s, and should get mostly B`s and maybe one A grade. Has enrolled on a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care course in Sept, which is equivalent to 3 `A`Levels. You may all be thinking, great, so what`s his mother worried about? He has no motivation or interest in anything, and all he seems to care about is hanging around with his 2 mates and the 3 of them get stoned. Several times a week. Every week. I know for a fact if I wasn`t pushing him, he would happily lie about the house doing f**k all for the rest of his life. His dad died when he was 10, and was a chronic alcoholic. I am a teetotaller. My son tells me[and I believe him]that he will never, ever touch alcohol, as he`s seen too much crap with his dad over the years, and it has put him off alcohol for life. The scumbag drug dealer he and his mates buy the cannabis off, if he doesn`t have the money on him, the guy lets them pay him the following week. Of course, it`s me who gives him the money. I`m frightened that if i don`t and he owes the drug dealer, say, £30, that if he doesn`t get his money, he will beat my son up.My son is very gentle and easy going and i don`t think has ever got into a fight with anyone his whole life.He`s just not the type. So the thought of some bloke[who i assume is older than my son], potentially harming him over my son owing him £20 or £30 frightens me to death. So I give in and give him the money. Except for today, that is.He told me this evening he was going out to his friend`s house and would be back later. I knew what this meant. I gave him just a fiver for the bus down and the taxi back later on, but told him straight i am not going to give him any more money for drugs, and that i was sorry, but call it tough love; if he gets some cannabis off someone and can`t afford to pay for it and the dealer ends up giving my son a black eye, then so be it. Am i doing the right thing? Maybe i should have taken this tough stance from the start. What the poster said about his friend failing Uni really struck a chord with me. My son wants to be a social worker one day.
    As a student myself and very occasionally partaking in smoking with my friends then I can say that I feel your sons behaviour needs to be nipped in the bud. I have a close mate whose brother smokes week so much as a way of self-medicating his problems, his father also being an alcoholic. I think personally weed can have addictive qualities as people get psychologically addicted to it's effects. In this situation your son seems dependant on the drug and you may need to get further support/counselling as this is a hard cycle to break. I myself like to do it every now and again but I know people who do it everyday at my uni - it doesn't seem to affect them but certain people it just doesn't work well with.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. He now knows I am no longer going to fund his "pass time", so we`ll see how things pan out in the coming days , weeks and months. Personally, will be glad when he starts college FT in September. The other two "stoners" are not going to the same campus, so it`s highly unlikely my son will see them. He claims he will be close friends with them forever,but he will hardly have time [I hope] in the evenings to see them as he will be, I imagine concentrating on his assignments. It`s when he goes down to his friend`s houses, about 3 miles away that he gets the drugs. Have just got to get him through the long summer. The joys.!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    Thank you for your advice. He now knows I am no longer going to fund his "pass time", so we`ll see how things pan out in the coming days , weeks and months. Personally, will be glad when he starts college FT in September. The other two "stoners" are not going to the same campus, so it`s highly unlikely my son will see them. He claims he will be close friends with them forever,but he will hardly have time [I hope] in the evenings to see them as he will be, I imagine concentrating on his assignments. It`s when he goes down to his friend`s houses, about 3 miles away that he gets the drugs. Have just got to get him through the long summer. The joys.!!
    A large proportion of illegal substances AND more importantly legal, prescribed substances with addictive properties, such as opiates, that make pharmaceutical companies shed-loads of money are never complained about.

Why do you think cannabis is illegal? Because there have never been any deaths as a result of its sole use? Because it slows down cancerous tumor growth? Because it helps migraines? Because it calms down people with Tourettes? Relieves chronic pain, diseases, insomnia, aids those who have no appetite due to stomach surgery, the list goes on. The answer to all of those is yes, that's why.

It's because it would put pharmaceutical companies out of business due to how easy it is to cultivate and anyone would be able to grow it for themselves. It's progressing in the right direction in the USA ONLY because of overwhelming support which can't be at this stage ignored, it's not like that in the UK.

Now, this was not discussing recreational use; your son is 16. He is still developing cognitively, so that may be the only deterrent that suggests that he should possibly wait a little longer to continue if he wishes to because I do recall a study where a group of teenagers (younger than 16) and a group of adults were tested for basic signs of intelligence before and after being exposed to a large amount of cannabis, and it found in the adults it did not slow down their mental abilities at all, whilst in the young teenagers it had an effect, which doesn't really surprise me.

Another point is how illegal substances are frowned upon and there is a huge amount of self-inflicted ignorance on their actual safety and effects, simply because they are illegal and your average, uneducated citizen doesn't know any better than to listen to and believe authority without questioning or researching anything. Why are you so worried about his cannabis use and not about whether or not he smokes tobacco or alcohol? (Maybe you are, but you seem to be complaining more about cannabis since you're only posting about that)

Alcohol is far more dangerous than a number of illegal drugs, both to the user and to people around them, tobacco is horrific for the user's health. It's because these substances existed AND were popular throughout history that they are not a taboo and the government wishes to tax and regulate their sale. The sad thing is that for some drugs all you need is to be 18 and get it over the counter, and some, because of ridiculous laws, you have to get from a dodgy street deal (or from SR )

I'm a firm believer that no government should not be able to tell you what you can or cannot put inside of your own body. Legalising and regulating substances that are currently illegal in an efficient way would reduce crime by minimising black-market activity, and would generate tax revenue for the government, which is needed for economic growth. Think of it this way, if heroin were to be made legal, sterile and available for purchase from a government-regulated dispensary, would you or anyone else the next morning suddenly wake up and think "Oh heroin's legal now, I'm going to go and do it because it's legal."? Of course not. People are afraid of what they don't know.

Just have a chat with your son about it, it's really not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    then why does everyone act like alcohol isn't very dangerous?

what about small amounts of both?
    Because people can't control themselves. More people drink than smoke weed, the media shows more alcohol incidents than weed.

However, both are fine in moderation. I only drink, never have done weed so I can't really say how good/bad it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    That's what a lot of people say so why do people act the complete opposite? why is this?
    Because one is legal and one is not. The establishment has decided.

ReputationRep:
    Blame it on the Alcohol! But yeah I don't feel like crap if I smoke before bed opposed to getting drunk, If anything. I sleep better after smoking [I don't mix it with Tobacco].

ReputationRep:
    My two friends that smoke weed everyday generally do 60-70 hour working weeks...I don't smoke it regular(probably 5-10x a year) and I am lazy as hell...always late for work and have a terrible attention span when there and just browse forums.

Alcohol definitely has the most negative affects on society..I also think I will have alcohol related problems in the future amongst a load of other stuff. I think once I get a certain age and certain hopes and dreams fade I will become an almighty mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    then why does everyone act like alcohol isn't very dangerous?

what about small amounts of both?
    It's extremely dangerous and would most likely be an illegal drug if it was discovered just now-but they can't just ban something thats become a massive part of society.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.