Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people have mentioned on this, a lot of our class think it'll be that & the simple fact that it hasn't been up in a few years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Glad German went well.

Originality is always viewed favorably. The ones who can be marked down are those who don't know what they're talking about or those who don't back themselves up. You've read your books and you've done work throughout the year, so you definitely won't be marked down for not knowing what you're talking about, and you chose those scenes specifically for a reason, so you'll have backed yourself up - no worries, honestly. :rambo: The thing is, originality, at this level, is how you view it - the way you've analysed it in class may be that there's a glass that's half empty, but you yourself may have observed that there in fact are two glasses, full to the brim There's more than one way to answer an essay question; in fact, people write essays differently from school-to-school depending on how your teacher has taught you. What I'm saying is that, there is no eternal theme to one text for every single person - my essays at uni are always completely different than my friend's, not because I try to make it different, but because I genuinely think about it and do research, whereas some just copy lecture notes or do their own research. In other words, don't worry too much about not having an 'obvious' essay. The essay that I did my best at high school was the one where we hadn't discussed a single thing in class, but it was all my own stuff. As for language; don't worry, it's expected - everyone's dwindles down. Remember that essay you saw that got 25 and everyone was saying how the language is so simple? Well, in timed conditions, you can't help it really.

I have to say though that from experience, it really isn't the end of the world. If you don't go to UCL, you may end up going to St Andrews and absolutely love it. My last choice was actually Edinburgh (I didn't want to stay at home) but I ended up going there, and honestly, I'm loving it so much - I've made such wonderful friends that I wouldn't have made elsewhere! If you want to get rid of your worries, try to be happy and open your horizons a little. Easier said than done, I admit; but, don't worry about your exams. I remember how much pressure there was at high school, yet for some reason, at university I'm feeling quite numb about my results even though I'm not sure what mark I'll get. The way I see it, I always try to improve. I got a B at Higher English and it was apparently the end of the world and I stopped trying and didn't apply for it at uni. But, that was so silly; I should've taken the B by its horns and destroyed it afterwards! I should have continuously worked hard to be even better. That's what I do at uni. Sometimes if I get a lower mark than I expected, I'm a little sad but I try my best to improve - I go to see my markers/my tutors and ask for advice, and as a result, my grades have always gone up! My first essay got a B but the B one after that got an A and I was really happy that my hard work paid off, but then I was still working hard to do better next time.

It's a lesson I suppose; be happy and try to improve yourself. As you get older, you'll see how things change. For example, think about primary school and whether you were level D, E or F etc. When you think about it now - it seems long ago and a little trivial right? At that time, I'm sure you would've been really worried about not getting that E or F which is how I was. Now, I'm thinking that it doesn't matter so much that I didn't get a level F in my reading, because I ended up doing Advanced English and obliterating my dissertation :cool:.

Oooh, as you're a potential language applicant, I really urge you to do some language related stuff during summer. :fluffy: Buy a good French/German/Russian (can't remember which languages you want to do again) grammar book and go through it! Read some novels and get your French/German to above AH standard And, even learn Russian? Or, other languages like Chinese/Japanese/Arabic etc.

As I enjoy it so much, I'm going to go through my Japanese grammar book for next year through the summer and try to nail it for next year, so I can go on to more advanced stuff by myself whilst consolidating things in my classes. I'll also be reading my set texts for Spanish and French as well as doing some grammar work.

Be the best you can be - just keep improving yourself and being happy.
    Wow - I really appreciate the fact that you posted such a detailed reply. I didn't actually dwell on it too much last night, and perhaps I have done better than I presume. As for UCL, I'm not even sure that I would like living in London, and I think I would prefer studying somewhere like St Andrews. St As asks for AAAB for foreign languages, so if I did end up with AAABB this year it wouldn't be out of the question. In fact, I was just browsing through their website (the modern language department's) and came across a page about student experiences studying abroad (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/modlangs...ntexperiences/), and it just sounds so exciting and fantastic and brilliant. I sound alarmingly over-enthusiastic and nerdy, but I could definitely imagine myself studying there. :cool:
    I'm planning to get my languages up to scratch for AH level over the summer holidays. I'm going to Germany for a week with my family, and apart from that I would like to immerse myself in the language more and read some literature. Is it weird that I've already tried some AH past papers for French and German? I've already spoken to my French teacher about the literature component next year, and she's agreed to do Camus and Sartre! Existentialist literature ftw. I am looking forward to next year so much.

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please answer this question?

In the DW, is it possible whether one of the bullet points could be what your french friend thought about something?
    I was just wondering about this since the DW always asks what you did and what you thought and my teacher briefly mentioned it once in class. Also does anybody have any obscure points which we should revise for DW?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the link to that thread from a few weeks ago which had masses of useful Directed Writing phrases? cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know where I can get earlier listening audio files than 2008

Also, does anyone have any example short essays they would be willing to share

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_1995)
    Hi, does anyone know where I can get earlier listening audio files than 2008

Also, does anyone have any example short essays they would be willing to share

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Go on the BrightRed Publishing website and click on the HIgher French Past Paper book as if you're going to buy it and there will be a link for 'Audio Files' - they have ones from 2006 I think. Not too sure about Short Essays but before I have just searched 'Higher French Short Essay Examples' into google and there has been the odd useful website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RKS330)
    Go on the BrightRed Publishing website and click on the HIgher French Past Paper book as if you're going to buy it and there will be a link for 'Audio Files' - they have ones from 2006 I think. Not too sure about Short Essays but before I have just searched 'Higher French Short Essay Examples' into google and there has been the odd useful website
    Ahh never thought of that thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_1995)
    Ahh never thought of that thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you're welcome! What do you (or anyone else) generally do for writing down stuff for Listening like split the page for notes/answers or just rub out scribbles at the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RKS330)
    you're welcome! What do you (or anyone else) generally do for writing down stuff for Listening like split the page for notes/answers or just rub out scribbles at the end?
    I usually just score out my scribbles but splitting the page is a good idea I may try that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would this be correct?

"Je ne dirais pas que je n'ai pas assez de temps libre mais j'ai moins que d'habitude parce que j'ai besoin de faire beaucoup de devoirs."

"I would not say that I do not have enough free time, but I have less than usual because I need to do a lot of homework."

ReputationRep:
    Also, is this correct?:

Il est impossible d’ouvrir un journal sans lire que c’est une situation inquiétante.

Would I use c'est or est?

Thanks xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    Also, is this correct?:

Il est impossible d’ouvrir un journal sans lire que c’est une situation inquiétante.

Would I use c'est or est?

Thanks xoxo
    c'est I'm sure. You're saying 'it is a worrying situation' (I think that both words have numerous meanings so that could be a wrong translation) without ce it is 'It is impossible to open a newspaper without reading that is a worrying situation' which doesn't make much sense.
    C'est - it is
    Est - is
    Just read it back to yourself in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishNerd)
    c'est I'm sure. You're saying 'it is a worrying situation' (I think that both words have numerous meanings so that could be a wrong translation) without ce it is 'It is impossible to open a newspaper without reading that is a worrying situation' which doesn't make much sense.
    C'est - it is
    Est - is
    Just read it back to yourself in English.
    Thank you so much, that has been great help . I can't believe that I will be sitting the Higher French exam- it seems so soon but it is my last exam.

I cannot wait for it to be over. I may just spend the rest of Wednesday, after my exam of course, on a crisps and chocolate binge and slob in front of the PC watching the Inbetweeners tehe .

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that has been great help . I can't believe that I will be sitting the Higher French exam- it seems so soon but it is my last exam.

I cannot wait for it to be over. I may just spend the rest of Wednesday, after my exam of course, on a crisps and chocolate binge and slob in front of the PC watching the Inbetweeners tehe .

YAAASS, Sounds good, unfortunately I have 3 to go

ReputationRep:

It's my last exam too, I just want it to be over. I am definitely going to cry of happiness that I will never sit another school exam (well, unless I have to go back)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM1996)
    YAAASS, Sounds good, unfortunately I have 3 to go
    Aw that must be so crappy! However stay motivated . Which exams do you have after the French one?

Given the current timings, your remaining exams must be pretty squished up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishNerd)
    It's my last exam too, I just want it to be over. I am definitely going to cry of happiness that I will never sit another school exam (well, unless I have to go back)
    Haha same here. It will be such a relief to walk out of the exam room knowing that what you have been working on for about a year has finally come to an end :nutcase:.

I am staying for 6th year, it will be exams again for me! I take it that you are not?

ReputationRep:
    Aw that must be so crappy! However stay motivated . Which exams do you have after the French one?

Given the current timings, your remaining exams must be pretty squished up!
    Yes, yes they are.

Wednesday is French
    Thursday is Geography
    Friday is Chemistry. Horrific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JM1996)
    Yes, yes they are.

Wednesday is French
    Thursday is Geography
    Friday is Chemistry. Horrific
    Holy ****, I have to say that I am glad that I did not take the latter two subjects. Three exams in one week! And four if you took physics today. What are the SQA playing at hehe XD.

I hope that you have done a good amount of studying for Geography and Chemistry because your brain will probably be mushed after sitting the exams. It is pretty dire how you have your exams the day after the next. Therefore please make sure that you sleep well .

ReputationRep:
    If you think that's bad, my friend has Higher Latin and Chemistry on the SAME DAY

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.