Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out the lower and upper quartile for data!!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi, does anyone know how they would answer this question?

justify the use of one technique used to analyse data in your enquiry (6)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benb1)
    hi, does anyone know how they would answer this question?

justify the use of one technique used to analyse data in your enquiry (6)

Using a technique to analyse is dependent upon the nature of your investigation - but it is usually some sort of statistic.
    As my fieldwork was investigating the evidence of long shore drift within a UK bay I analysed my data using a range of stats including spearmans rank, standard deviation, IQR etc

Remember justifying is giving reasons for your technique and WHY it was suitable for your particular fieldwork
    If I was answering this question I would use the chi squared test (statistical test) which I used on my results for pebble characteristics (length and roundness) this was because I had a large sample size (over 20 groups in my class) and I wanted to test the confidence of my results which would lead me on to either except or reject my research hypothesis (that long shore drift was operating). Chi2 is also a difference test so it allowed me to test my expected values to my observed results.
    I could help you if you told me what your investigation was, and what tests you used?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the difference between primary and secondary data? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    the aim of my fieldwork was 'to look at housing, ethnicity, age structure, wealth and employment and the provision of services within different areas of the city in residential areas from the inner city to the rural-urban fringe'

we did use spearmans rank to check for correlations between these variables such as, whether there was a correlation between percentage of employment and distance from inner city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benb1)
    the aim of my fieldwork was 'to look at housing, ethnicity, age structure, wealth and employment and the provision of services within different areas of the city in residential areas from the inner city to the rural-urban fringe'

we did use spearmans rank to check for correlations between these variables such as, whether there was a correlation between percentage of employment and distance from inner city.

Ok so using Spearman's rank as your technique, this would then be justified as you had an appropriate sample size (I assume) of 12-15, it allowed you to test the strength of the relationship between your variables which was also supported by your scattergraph, comparing the result to the table values then meant you could then accept or reject your research hypothesis.
    When justifying you could also suggest reasons for not using another technique - which inevitably will back up your choice for spearmans rank
    If another question asks you for disadvantages it could be that it doesn't give you reasons WHY the outcome was reached

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydude)
    Whats the difference between primary and secondary data? Thanks!
    Primary data is data you have personally collected yourself (data that has not previously been collected and processed)
    Secondary data is data gained from another source and manipulated to be used (usually compromises of published documents such as books, articles etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade10128)
    Ok so using Spearman's rank as your technique, this would then be justified as you had an appropriate sample size (I assume) of 12-15, it allowed you to test the strength of the relationship between your variables which was also supported by your scattergraph, comparing the result to the table values then meant you could then accept or reject your research hypothesis.
    When justifying you could also suggest reasons for not using another technique - which inevitably will back up your choice for spearmans rank
    If another question asks you for disadvantages it could be that it doesn't give you reasons WHY the outcome was reached

ah great thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    Most important thing is to read the question properly! you can learn it all and still make silly mistakes if you misinterpret the question or miss a command word in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EcoFreako)
    Most important thing is to read the question properly! you can learn it all and still make silly mistakes if you misinterpret the question or miss a command word in the exam.
    Haha nice username

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyberphilic_9999)
    anybody got any useful notes and model answers? - I got a D in january lol
    Don't worry I got an E haha

ReputationRep:
    you know when it says 'describe the location of your fieldwork and outline why this was a suitable site for your investigation' what does it mean by "outline why this was a suitable site for your investigation" thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes 2 more papers to go, then I have to revise for all my other subjects :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyberphilic_9999)
    you know when it says 'describe the location of your fieldwork and outline why this was a suitable site for your investigation' what does it mean by "outline why this was a suitable site for your investigation" thanks
    Easy to take measurements, safe, thing like that.
    I'm doing rivers and my model answers says things like enabled us to measure the whole course of the river, and easy to take measurements in the river, flows right into a lake... Etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On spearmans rank questions they always say 'what does the spearmans rank value tell you about the distribution of...' What are you meant to answer with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melissajwilson)
    On spearmans rank questions they always say 'what does the spearmans rank value tell you about the distribution of...' What are you meant to answer with?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spearmans rank in past papers normally gives you the sr to calculate using the formula then comment on it. This is likely to be comparing it against the table values in order to work out the confidence levels or the correlation. Remember the rs figure can only be from -1 to +1. So the correlation of variables can be worked out by the result calculated. The closer to -1 the figure is it will be a negative correlation, near 0 will be no correlation and +1 positive correlation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Spearmans rank in past papers normally gives you the sr to calculate using the formula then comment on it. This is likely to be comparing it against the table values in order to work out the confidence levels or the correlation. Remember the rs figure can only be from -1 to +1. So the correlation of variables can be worked out by the result calculated. The closer to -1 the figure is it will be a negative correlation, near 0 will be no correlation and +1 positive correlation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh thanks! So you know if you come out with something like 57 you've gone wrong haha? Only -1 to +1 got it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melissajwilson)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How long do you spend on each section?

ReputationRep:
    I spend around 25 mins on each section, or try to anyway... :rolleyes: This exam is less tight on time compared to unit 1...luckily!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljc123)
    Yeah i know but the formulas for the UQ and LQ are the wrong way around...
    Yh they made a mistake its the wrong way around it says so in the marks scheme what correct answers are, they just messed up the formula.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.