The Student Room Group

Giving blood - Think about it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Samwah
Hey guys, I gave blood for the first time yesterday and wanted to share my experience and hopefully convince some people to give it a go.

I made the decision to start giving blood after a presentation in college and finding out you only had to be 17 to start giving blood. It was quite simple, i just give my name and address and was then contacted to book an appointment at my local centre which is only about 5 minutes away.

I turned up and tbh i was quite nervous (I've never been a big fan of needles) but the nurses were great and after a few quick questions and some reassurances i was on the bed getting ready to have a needle in my arm! I was surprised at how minimal the pain was, just a tiny pinch for a fraction of a second, and that's the only bit of uncomfort about the process. I then just lay back and relaxed for about 10 minutes while the blood was drained, i actually felt quite chilled! Then a nurse just took the needle out, put a dressing on and that was it, I wasn't lightheaded or dizzy and after a quick drink and a biscuit was ready to go home.

It had no impact on what i could do for the rest of the night and i felt completely normal and will be going back again in august!

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, i was there for no longer than an hour, and the small second of discomfort is more than worth it for the satisfaction of knowing i could of saved someone's life. If anyone has any questions or concerns i'd be more than happy to answer them!

Sam

Do they do HIV tests whilst you're there? Or what blood type you are?
Reply 101
Original post by Tim2341
Do they do HIV tests whilst you're there? Or what blood type you are?

They take blood for both of these, but it is sent away to the lab, you don't get the results instantly. With the HIV, Hepatitis etc tests, no news is good news - they'll contact you if there's a problem. When you get a letter inviting you to donate again, it will have your blood group on it somewhere. You used to get a special card, with different colours corresponding to how many times you'd donated, but I don't think they do them any more :frown:
Original post by Helenia
They take blood for both of these, but it is sent away to the lab, you don't get the results instantly. With the HIV, Hepatitis etc tests, no news is good news - they'll contact you if there's a problem. When you get a letter inviting you to donate again, it will have your blood group on it somewhere. You used to get a special card, with different colours corresponding to how many times you'd donated, but I don't think they do them any more :frown:

They do, I have a blue one. :smile: I should be moving onto bronze soon, apparently you get a "reward pack" but I don't know what that means.
http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/donor-award-scheme/whole-blood-donor/
Reply 103
Original post by wildbluesun
They do, I have a blue one. :smile: I should be moving onto bronze soon, apparently you get a "reward pack" but I don't know what that means.
http://www.blood.co.uk/giving-blood/donor-award-scheme/whole-blood-donor/

I got a certificate and a pin badge when I moved up to bronze. Taking me forever to get to silver though, due to travel, needlestick injury etc - think I'm still only on about 15!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Yep got to love free food. Just waiting for exams to be over to donate again drop in session day after last exam is perfect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
I gave blood once a few years ago, but haven't done since. I was unable to give the full amount because I felt dizzy and started getting really confused about what was happening. They had to put a blue screen around me and I remember panicking and begging them to go get my boyfriend who had finished donating and was waiting for me. All I could tell them was "he's ginger," so they spent ages looking for him in the waiting area.

It wasn't a good experience, but it doesn't mean I won't give blood again. I will make sure next time I go on a full stomach and prepare myself more. I have been thinking about it more and more recently, but can't at the moment due to being pregnant.
I m 18 and have given blood twice now:smile: I love the feeling of knowing i ve potentially saved a life,i intend on doing it as long as i can,i m also on the organ donor register,i m just a little hesitant to join the bone marrow registry because one of the procedures used is a little invasive,hopefully i ll be brave enough to add myself to the register one day
Signed up to give blood as I'm now 17. Booked an appointment for next Friday, but as I just got the BCG Vaccination, I may have to postpone it! :frown:

However, I feel quite excited and nervous at the same time! Hopefully, this time will be the first but not the last! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I would give blood yeah, just have to find out what type I am first!
Original post by LeonVII
I would give blood yeah, just have to find out what type I am first!

You don't have to, they tell you at the session!
I would give blood, but they won't let me :dontknow:
I used to be a regular donor before I moved for uni, but where I am now, the only place close enough to donate is damn difficult to get to if you don't drive.
Reply 112
Just booked an appointment :tongue:
Reply 113
Original post by Pandabär
Anyone know whether vaccinations preclude blood donation? I've just had vaccines for Hepatitis and MMR...

(I will actually search for the answer on the website, but just in the meantime... :tongue:)

I think you have to wait 8 weeks after most vaccinations but double check on their website!
If you still need to know i just looked it up 4 weeks for the heps and mmr is longer (i didn't really pay much attention to the mmr)
Original post by wildbluesun
I've donated as often as I can since I was 17. (Have my regular donor blue card thing now and will go up to bronze soon.) At first I didn't want to because I hate hate needles - but then I thought - if I was sick and needed blood, and the doctor said 'sorry, the population has a collective fear of needles, you're gonna die' I'd wonder why the population didn't just get over it. So I did, and even though I cry every time, I still do it because I know it's important. My mum and one of my best friends would both be dead without blood donors - it's only an hour out of your day, but it really can save someone's life. Plus, free biscuits.

It's easy enough to do, you go to blood.co.uk, search for local sesssions, tell them what time you want and they email you with an appointment. Then you show up, they give you a finger prick test to check your blood's haemoglobin levels (this is quite fun to watch), give you a whole pint of water - you can't be dehydrated - then lie down on a bench and they attach the donor bag to you. You can bring someone with you for moral support if you want, and they don't mind you listening to your iPod or playing on your phone while the donation goes on.

There are some circumstances under which you can't give blood though - like if you're on certain medications or have recently had a tattoo - so it's worth checking before you book an appointment. They have a checker thing on blood.co.uk

FREE BISCUITS?! Well, I know what I'm doing for my 17th birthday!

But yeah, I've been wanting to give blood for a while, but thought the minimum age was 18 and not 17, so that makes things a little easier! I am not bothered by needles at all, so I should be okay.
Reply 116
Original post by lascelles
I've always wanted to donate blood, but I don't weigh enough. Is there a weight limit for bone marrow donation, do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just googled it because I am in the same position - you have to be over 8 stone to give bone marrow :frown:
Original post by ambbs
I just googled it because I am in the same position - you have to be over 8 stone to give bone marrow :frown:

Oh damn, that's that out the window too :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Im 16 and want to give blood on my 17th birthday. I was in hospital once and had to be given imunoglobulin and also my blood type is 0- (which is universal) so I sort of feel the responsibility to donate :smile:
ive given blood a total of 7 times now starting from college, gonna give for the 8th time this coming friday...all the people who are scared that you wont be able to do anything for the rest of the day of will feel weak, sure for the first hour or so you will do but after that its all normal (im going to be travelling to manchester 2 hours after i give blood to collect a friend)

Quick Reply

Latest