Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No such thing as a Full-time degree course in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sultony)
    It would seem since my original posting that there are huge differences in people's experiences of contact teaching hours per week and how they are interpreted, depending upon the subject of study. Those with a full week of study are fortunate on the one hand in that they are getting their money's worth, but unfortunate on the other that they have no time in the day to get a part-time job to help pay the fees. It is a catch 22 situation, but nevertheless, it is scandalous and students should be making their complaints known to the NUS.
    You might like to look at http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...006151.article

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    You might like to look at http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...006151.article
    Thanks Nulli Tertius for bringing this article to my attention, but this survey still does not explain what they mean by 15.9hrs of work per week. What is 'work'? As my posting reveals it is the contact teaching time (1:1) that has diminished over the years. There is also no mention of the fees and what you get for your money.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Nulli Tertius for bringing this article to my attention, but this survey still does not explain what they mean by 15.9hrs of work per week. What is 'work'? As my posting reveals it is the contact teaching time (1:1) that has diminished over the years. There is also no mention of the fees and what you get for your money.
    I believe it means weekly contact time plus hours spent independently studying.

The tables show the top and bottom five universities by average weekly student workload – including private study time and scheduled hours such as lectures and seminars – in four subject areas. Averages have been included only where more than 20 students responded to the survey.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1:1 teaching doesn't exist anywhere. Also it isn't necessarily good for everyone.
    I do agree that some courses have too few contact hours/workload though but you can often research how much contact/work time you will have before applying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.