Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    What did people get for the 'estimate the factor that the intensity has increased' or something like that, the logarithmic scale thing for the dolphin click question. I put 10^7, then crossed it out and changed to 10^6.7
    I got 90 - 60 = 30db

the sound level increases by a factor of 10 for every 10db increase

therefore 30/10 = 3

103 = 1000

so its 1000x larger

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the 'estimate the factor that the intensity has increased' or something like that, the logarithmic scale thing for the dolphin click question. I put 10^7, then crossed it out and changed to 10^6.7
    I initially also put 10^7 but then looked at the y axis then decided to put 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyboy819)
    I got 90 - 60 = 30db

the sound level increases by a factor of 10 for every 10db increase

therefore 30/10 = 3

103 = 1000

so its 1000x larger
    Why 90-60? Did I miss something?

ReputationRep:
    I think it said what factor does the sound level increase by from one frequency to another (owtte)...

...which worked out to give 90db and 60db

TBH I can't really remember.

Does anyone have a copy of the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (10^9) / (10^6) so 1,000

ReputationRep:
    For the number of levels question i did log (base 2) 400 = 8.6 - but i stupidly rounded it down to 8. Do you think they'll give me the mark (in some past papers they do say "accept 8" when the real answer is 9)?

ReputationRep:
    Because the dB level increased from 60-90, so you needed to calculate the difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh-B)
    Because the dB level increased from 60-90, so you needed to calculate the difference

Damn it

ReputationRep:
    I thought it just said for the frequency at 20kHz? Does anyone have a copy of the paper they can kindly upload?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marksmith34)
    What did everyone put for the ebook question - first time I've ever seen a social/ethical question in a physics paper...
    I put -
    Advantage: Implementing books in modern technology may encourage younger people to read more.
    Disadvantage: Research has shown that reading on a screen is much harder on the eyes than reading off a page, so people may develop eyesight problems if they read off of the ebook too much.

And yeah I don't know of any research for the disadvantage, but it's the weirdest question I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this unit so much. Other than the wave equation, was for really a single 'proper' physics question? The rest all seemed more like computer/material science

And estimating the average number of pages in a book. REALLY?

ReputationRep:
    I hate this unit so much. Other than the wave equation, was for really a single 'proper' physics question? The rest all seemed more like computer/material science

And estimating the average number of pages in a book. REALLY?
    I thought there was some sort of formula that I wasnt getting from the text and so just left the answer blank. It was only when I got outside when my friends told me that you just had to estimate *facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    Would they give a mark for just 90-60

ReputationRep:
    Failed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i thought the paper was quite difficult, easy to drop silly marks. It was definitely different to past papers. Does any one have the paper to upload? Would be nice to see how much things are worth and then we can see how we did!

if i am honest.... i cant wait to drop the f***er!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1300)
    i put 10^7
    Why did you get 10^7?

ReputationRep:
    Cant really remember now i just remember 20 to 90 so the difference is 70.
    As it increases by 10 times each time it increases by 10^7 overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benewen)
    I got 30mS because conductance in parrallel add together. The 30mS conductance at the top was in series.
    However there was 30 mS and conductance in series is 1/G total = 1/30 + 1/30 therefore 15 mS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1300)
    Cant really remember now i just remember 20 to 90 so the difference is 70.
    As it increases by 10 times each time it increases by 10^7 overall
    Oh ok.... I said that it went up by 3 intervals 60-70db 70-80db and 80-90db so it goes up by 10^3 times so 1000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jehearo)
    However there was 30 mS and conductance in series is 1/G total = 1/30 + 1/30 therefore 15 mS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i got the same! For the question above the last one, did you put stress=Force/cross sectional area so therefore more cross sectionalleads to a smaller stress (i think it was 5 correct me if i am wrong) so therefore if you had 1nm of force it would be 1/1 and 1/5 so therefore 1/5 more?

Sorry if that makes little sense!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.