Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women shaving - When did people start *****ing about it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    men are also expected to shave! more so than women

ReputationRep:
    I think we've been conditioned to see body hair as wrong on women, and facial hair wrong on men(sometimes) I mean we see it everywhere men shaving ads and women shaving ads.

ReputationRep:
    are you muslim by any chance? cus muslims tend do be really hairy..and they are covered in hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amcdschool)
    men are also expected to shave! more so than women
    no.

ReputationRep:
    yes, their faces? often they arent allowed to work without a shaven face

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure they're the ones that have to shave every morning... unlike us who shave once a week or wax once a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    no.
    perhaps you have a hairy face as well though...

I apologise for your face miss no face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Aye tis true. Though my employer and a few others I've seen have the situation where you must be clean shaven OR have a full "tidy" beard. So if you come into the job clean shaven, you can't grow a beard as it'll go through a more untidy phase, but if you already have a full beard you can keep it. Then some places just make you cover the beard (working with food) if they're lenient enough to allow you to have one.
    Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in an African fresh accent?

ReputationRep:
    perhaps you have a hairy face as well though...

I apologise for your face miss no face
    Men, shave face maybe chest/back.

Women, shave underarms legs arms, pluck eyebrow bleach near everything!

I know what you mean, men can be expected to shave their face.

Just women are expected to shave so much more at a such stricter social eye.

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure they're the ones that have to shave every morning... unlike us who shave once a week or wax once a month.
    Lucky you once a week, wow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    Lucky you once a week, wow!
    gosh... isn't that not normal? finally im lucky!

ReputationRep:
    gosh... isn't that not normal? finally im lucky!
    Seemingly I shave my legs and the next day they are all gross and stubbly!
    I think it depends though, all bout your genes.

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely preposterous to claim that having hair on your body makes you less feminine. When people go through puberty, their bodies start to change and become more mature i.e. boys start to become men and girls start to become women. One of the changes is that we grow body hair.

So, for girls, puberty is the process of becoming a woman. One of the changes is body hair. Why would we evolve with something if it unappealing for the opposite sex? However I would have thought that hair was never unsightly as it shows puberty has occurred, thus fertility? Looking younger and hairless surely is a sign of being too young to mate with? Therefore, body hair is a sign of sexual maturity. The idea that women have to shave it off is basically a social construct amplified by advertising.

The same thing is going on for men for that matter too. Feeling obliged to shave off their chest hair and back hair when it is perfectly natural seems wrong and I feel the above argument applies here also.

By no means am I saying that we must not shave. I know it’s a cliché but we should do what we want with our body hair and we should not get *****y about the state some else’s. Whether they want to smooth and hair free or braid their armpit hair is none of your business. Except of course it is directly inconvenient towards you e.g. If they are sporting a Gandalf style beard and its running across your desk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Neuro-)
    It's absolutely preposterous to claim that having hair on your body makes you less feminine. When people go through puberty, their bodies start to change and become more mature i.e. boys start to become men and girls start to become women. One of the changes is that we grow body hair.

So, for girls, puberty is the process of becoming a woman. One of the changes is body hair. Why would we evolve with something if it unappealing for the opposite sex? However I would have thought that hair was never unsightly as it shows puberty has occurred, thus fertility? Looking younger and hairless surely is a sign of being too young to mate with? Therefore, body hair is a sign of sexual maturity. The idea that women have to shave it off is basically a social construct amplified by advertising.

The same thing is going on for men for that matter too. Feeling obliged to shave off their chest hair and back hair when it is perfectly natural seems wrong and I feel the above argument applies here also.

By no means am I saying that we must not shave. I know it’s a cliché but we should do what we want with our body hair and we should not get *****y about the state some else’s. Whether they want to smooth and hair free or braid their armpit hair is none of your business. Except of course it is directly inconvenient towards you e.g. If they are sporting a Gandalf style beard and its running across your desk
    Haha yes! Totally agree. Choice is the key when it comes to body hair - and acceptance and tolerance of other people's choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messalina)
    Haha yes! Totally agree. Choice is the key when it comes to body hair - and acceptance and tolerance of other people's choices.
    I know! I'm definitely don't believe that people who don't have much body hair are less of a woman or man. I'm starting to think I may have come across as that in my post

But no, to think that its a daily expectation, that it's hygienic to be smooth all over 24/7 is ridiculous. That you are only "pretty" if you like this when it is not who you are is when my problem comes in. The further and further the beauty industry expands the more and more men and women become beautiful in their natural state. It's quite scary to think that the impression of the entire human body is altered.

The spread of capitalism has turned people into consumer machines. For it to work, people have to want, want ,want so that they buy, buy buy. That's why they spend more money on advertising rather than the actual products themselves. We need to feel like we need it and even better that other people expect us to have it.

So companies show us a standard of beauty which is almost impossible to achieve naturally, we see our so-called "flaws", and want to solve them. Body hair = disgusting = grab the razor, hair removal cream, book a place at the beauty salon, laser...etc etc. Yup, they offer a solution to the flaws they created themselves! We buy these "solutions" and hardy hardy har the beauty industry makes more money.

Beauty companies don't want to feel good about our natural selves. Why would we want to spend money on them otherwise?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.