The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 1 French exam 21st May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by William24
Is this for the 'il faut' one? Oui, je suis d'accord! C'est totalement injuste!

My friend told me after the exam that she found the SAME sentence in the reading so she copied 'aient' which I did NOT notice! How weird.
Everyone at my school did the holidays essay, was the subjunctive in question 9 "aient"?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by FH1
My friend told me after the exam that she found the SAME sentence in the reading so she copied 'aient' which I did NOT notice! How weird.

thats what I did, but im scared it can't be that easy!
Reply 103
Original post by FH1
To be honest only 3 people in my school do A Level French and they both chose TV, they think I'm crazy for choosing holidays but it was a simple advantages/disadvantages question!

What was the question? I chose tv :smile:
Reply 104
Original post by clarrison96
thats what I did, but im scared it can't be that easy!

It's definitely subjunctive with 'Il faut que' - I had previously thought subjunctive wasn't 100% needed for AS French but clearly it is. What did you do for the pouvoir one?
Reply 105
What did you guys put for the other grammar questions?
Reply 106
It was what are the advantages/disadvantages of holidays? I had completely predicted that TV question, word for word but I still didn't do it.
Reply 107
Everyone at my school did the holidays essay, was the subjunctive in question 9 "aient"?

Il faut que les enfants aient? :smile: Yeah
Original post by FH1
It's definitely subjunctive with 'Il faut que' - I had previously thought subjunctive wasn't 100% needed for AS French but clearly it is. What did you do for the pouvoir one?

I put pourront, i couldn't remember the future stem though :/
Original post by Goosegogs
Il faut que les enfants aient? :smile: Yeah

YAAAAAYYY! made my day!
Reply 110
I put pourront, i couldn't remember the future stem though :/

That's what I put and that's the right future stem!
Reply 111
Original post by FH1

Where did it say it was future?
Reply 112
Original post by William24
Where did it say it was future?

It said something like "Dans l'avenir..." = future
I'm pretty sure it had a l'avenir before it, but I remember there was difinitely a sign that it was future!
Original post by FH1

I'm fairly due it was conditional, i.e. 'pourraient' because the sentence made more sense that way. Though you might still get the mark for future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by Belgarath026
I'm fairly due it was conditional, i.e. 'pourraient' because the sentence made more sense that way. Though you might still get the mark for future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought this too but I ended up putting future because there was a direct reference to the future, and yeah sometimes there's two answers for one answer in grammar.
Reply 116
Original post by Belgarath026

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put pourraient too, because it made more sense, but in the mark schemes you sometimes get marks for both so fingers crossed!
I just sat this paper today and I think it went well. I was really pleased about the essays that came up. I chose the television question and I think I did quite well in hindsight. The paper didn't really give me too much trouble to be honest, although question 7 I found very hard, as did everyone else who sat the paper as far as I know. Apart from that though, everything was just as I expected it to be in terms of difficulty. Anyone else got any thoughts on how the paper went?
Reply 118
Original post by beckiiiiiiii
Yeah, I had loads to write- I don't write a lot usually, and I wrote more than usual- got to be a good thing right? What points did you make?

Introduction: Discussed there are both advantages and disadvantages of holidays. Holidays can have a positive social, educational effect and can help to lead a healthy life. However, there are also negative effects such as money issues and it is harmful for the environment.

Paragraph 1: Everybody needs holidays to relax and forget the grind of everyday life. Everyday life is very stressful and so holidays are essential for relaxation which is necessary for a healthy lifestyle. Holidays also allow you to relax mentally and physically which everybody needs.

Paragraph 2: Holidays can have positive social effects on the world. You can have new experiences and therefore learn new cultures which can benefit both the holidaymakers and the inhabitants and is useful for everyone.

Paragraph 3: Holidays can be a vital tool for educational purposes. You can meet find new cultures and establish new links of friendship with foreigners, therefore helping to improve foreign languages which is also educational for holidaymakers and the inhabitants as well.

Paragraph 4: Tourism can increase local industry and therefore is advantageous for local economies. Tourists spend lots of money on holiday, and furthermore tourism creates jobs which also boosts local economies.

Paragraph 5: Holidays can cost lots of money which some people can not afford and therefore it is unfair for those people. Moreover, some people spend too much money on holidays and after they do not have the means to afford it all.

Paragraph 6: Local pollution is a big problem created by tourism. Rubbish is left on the beaches by tourists which is neither fair nor acceptable. Holidaymakers also make lots of noise at night time when they are at pubs or clubs which can disturb the inhabitants which is also unfair and annoying.

Paragraph 7: The biggest problem is pollution caused by greenhouse gases. Whether it be in the air or on the beaches, caused by planes or holidaymakers it is damaging for the environment.

Paragraph 8: In conclusion there are both strong advantages and disadvantages but if we wish to have a safe world to live in, then eco-tourism is the future. Green tourism allows us to protect the environment and respect the land on which we holiday. It benefits everyone and is cheaper.

There were other points I thought to make in the exam such as flight delays and stressful travelling but oh well what's done is done.
Reply 119
Original post by DanSmeaton
I just sat this paper today and I think it went well. I was really pleased about the essays that came up. I chose the television question and I think I did quite well in hindsight. The paper didn't really give me too much trouble to be honest, although question 7 I found very hard, as did everyone else who sat the paper as far as I know. Apart from that though, everything was just as I expected it to be in terms of difficulty. Anyone else got any thoughts on how the paper went?

What was question 7? The thing about coffee breaks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending