Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official WJEC English Literature GCSE Exams - 20th and 23rd May watch

ReputationRep:
    I need help with never let me go and an inspector calls !

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing A Christmas carol?

I'm doing A view from the bridge too, most annoying play ever :/

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any revision tools for my mother said i never should because we do that play for the 23rd exam and i'm not very good at it?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone do a brief overview of what to write in the exam for the essay and extract questions. Things like language analysis, writers intentions but also number of points to make and how much is the minimum you should write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skizzle)
    Is anyone doing A Christmas carol?

I'm doing A view from the bridge too, most annoying play ever :/
    Im doing both of those too!! I'm just learning a variety of quotes for both, historical context for a Christmas carol and reminding myself how to answer the short and long extract. I recommend reading the examiner reports as they say what students did bad and well from previous papers. I know they always want you to include language structure and form for the answers but do you know what they mean by structure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THEMathlete)
    Generally I don't like Poetry... So I prefer unit 2. BUT it really does depend on what novels/&plays u chose to study.
    For unit 2b I did a view from the bridge, which I thought was good and I did silas marner which I honestly enjoyed a lot. - The plot was simple and the themes are easy to understand and write about.
    Our teacher allowed us to vote for the ones we got to study...
    Just wondering if you had any revision resources or tips for Silas Marner?? I have no idea what to revise, any help would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just try answering past questions on your own and keep assessing yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasmineNCross)
    Just wondering if you had any revision resources or tips for Silas Marner?? I have no idea what to revise, any help would be great

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering that I did this last year...
    Hmm all I remember is finding past papers and spending time writing the 'perfect' answer (in no set time) and basically practice techniques.revision wise...
    Make notes on all the characters: How does Elliot present 'character's name' in the novel? Make sure u have notes for all the characters, including the minor ones like Nancy, Godfrey and Dunstan. (my oh my I actually remember their names! Hah)
    Themes: loneliness, how Eppie is the turning point in the novel & brings life and happiness back into silas' life etc. Just make notes on everything and as long as u remember the notes in the exam u should be able to make a little plan from memory.
    Make sure u analyse all your quotes, write about why Elliot chose a certain word/idea and what effect it has on the reader.

Hope this helps u!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry godfrey isn't a 'minor' character like I said above. Think about Aaron, Dolly and Squire Cass as well. A character question could be likely - but it might not even come up.
    Quickest way to get all the revision done would be to get quotes and analysis them. And obviously remember them for the exam.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    I'm doing Heroes and An Inspector Calls tomorrow and there's only one past paper with them in I think! So any predictions what may come up? I'm terrified!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Lord of the flies and A view from a bridge Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryessex)
    How are people revising for Paper 2 on Thursday?

So far I've just been doing past papers and going to my york notes guide (I'm studying An Inspector Calls).

Is anyone else doing About a Boy?
    yeah i'm doin these two books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merlynct)
    yeah i'm doin these two books!
    I'm doing Blood Brothers and A Christmas Carol. Know the stories, themes and characters. Although need to learn a few more quotes!

ReputationRep:
    About a boy quotes please anyone???

ReputationRep:
    From a Christmas Carol what does Marley mean in saying 'A chance and hope of my procuring, Ebenezer' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumblebee15)
    Same!! I hope Alfieri comes up I love him as a character!! So much to say about him!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any ideas for inspector calls and about a boy?

I'm genuinely screwed for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumblebee15)
    so am i!
    they're so easy to write alot about i think because in a view from the bridge you never really know what they all feel so you can kinda back it up either way
    and lord of the flies just remember that everything is a symbol like Jack=stalin or someone kind of dictator, Ralph is hitlers aryan ideal etc
    Gooooood Luuuuuuck

ReputationRep:
    Did Lord of the Flies and Blood Brothers and felt the exam went well enough to get an A overall in Literature.

ReputationRep:
    Did An Inspector Calls and About a Boy!

It was okay actually, I should definitely have an A overall (only needed a C in this exam)

There might be a chance of an A* though a small chance, but a chance nevertheless!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.