Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    This is awful, awful advice. The stepmother in this case does not sound like she has been doing anything wrong, except perhaps for thinking it's OK to physically place the OP in the corner when she (stupidly) refuses to go in the corner. To go and report that to someone at school means that the teacher involved may feel they have a duty to notify social services, since they are generally not fit to make a judgement call on alleged abuse. This would almost certainly result in an escalation, ending with the OP living elsewhere, a lot of stress for everyone involved, and both parents gaining a grudge against the OP due to her putting the other children at risk of being removed (however unlikely it would be to happen, it's still a horrific feeling for the parents to be investigated).
    I wouldn't tell my teachers anyway I don't want to be taken from my dad and once I get to know my step mum better I am sure I will not want to be taken from her eiter. The thing is my dad came home yesterday and took my step brother out and Sarah and I were making cup cakes. It was fun and I was racing my dad on Mario Kart for the WII earlier (I beat him ) Later my dad is going to take all four of us to the park for some ice cream and then later Sarah is taking me out. I think we are going to see a film because I heard mention it too my dad, I am really excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar:))
    I wouldn't tell my teachers anyway I don't want to be taken from my dad and once I get to know my step mum better I am sure I will not want to be taken from her eiter. The thing is my dad came home yesterday and took my step brother out and Sarah and I were making cup cakes. It was fun and I was racing my dad on Mario Kart for the WII earlier (I beat him ) Later my dad is going to take all four of us to the park for some ice cream and then later Sarah is taking me out. I think we are going to see a film because I heard mention it too my dad, I am really excited!
    That sounds really fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    That sounds really fantastic.
    It was fantastic When we got back home from the film and meal she made me a nice hot chocolate (I didn't know she made them so good!) I actually hugged her and thanked her for everything:hugs: She got a shock
    She has already left for a shopping trip with her sister today. When I said bye to her mum slipped out she just was like "mum" in a surprised way and left, I don't know what to do now. What would you do? I actually cried because I am nervous about what she is thinking. I didn't want to upset her and ruin her day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Excellent news
    It was good night and I hugged her and thanked her and we are okay now, well we were. Today she left to go on an all day shopping trip with her sister and when she left I said bye mum and she was really surprised and left. I am nervous about what she is thinking, I didnt mean to upset her or ruin her day

ReputationRep:
    It was fantastic When we got back home from the film and meal she made me a nice hot chocolate (I didn't know she made them so good!) I actually hugged her and thanked her for everything:hugs: She got a shock
    She has already left for a shopping trip with her sister today. When I said bye to her mum slipped out she just was like "mum" in a surprised way and left, I don't know what to do now. What would you do? I actually cried because I am nervous about what she is thinking. I didn't want to upset her and ruin her day
    It was good night and I hugged her and thanked her and we are okay now, well we were. Today she left to go on an all day shopping trip with her sister and when she left I said bye mum and she was really surprised and left. I am nervous about what she is thinking, I didnt mean to upset her or ruin her day
    That's really good news that it went well - I'm happy for you (and for Sarah). You may not manage to be an angel for the rest of your teenage years, but the day shows you what's possible.

I guess that you've never called her "mum" before? - if so, that may have been a shock for her, but I'm sure it won't have ruined her day - just given her something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    That's really good news that it went well - I'm happy for you (and for Sarah). You may not manage to be an angel for the rest of your teenage years, but the day shows you what's possible.

I guess that you've never called her "mum" before? - if so, that may have been a shock for her, but I'm sure it won't have ruined her day - just given her something to think about.
    I cried when she left because I knew I had made her uncomftarble and I didn't mean to. My step brother said to her and me "not your mummy my mummy" It made me feel really embarressed especially because she giggled when he said it, When she comes home I think I am just going to hide in my bedroom

ReputationRep:
    I cried when she left because I knew I had made her uncomftarble and I didn't mean to. My step brother said to her and me "not your mummy my mummy" It made me feel really embarressed especially because she giggled when he said it, When she comes home I think I am just going to hide in my bedroom
    Hmmm, tricky - "mum" is an emotionally charged word, and I can see your step brother might find it confusing. How does he refer to your dad? But don't hide in your room - you should talk about this with the grown-ups after your step brother has gone to bed.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, tricky - "mum" is an emotionally charged word, and I can see your step brother might find it confusing. How does he refer to your dad? But don't hide in your room - you should talk about this with the grown-ups after your step brother has gone to bed.
    My step brother calls my dad, daddy most of the time. He never knew his dad. Sarah is not due back till about 7ish then she will be tired and probably won't want to talk. My dad is stressed at the moment aswell. It will be a while before I can talk to the adults. My step brother has had an accident and my dad is cleaning it up and bathing him so staying in my room is probably a good idea for now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy for you! I hope this healthy relationship continues, it's so much happier! I don't think 'mum' will have ruined her day - it will take some getting used to but it shows you accept her now, at least, even if you didn't mean to say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    I'm so happy for you! I hope this healthy relationship continues, it's so much happier! I don't think 'mum' will have ruined her day - it will take some getting used to but it shows you accept her now, at least, even if you didn't mean to say it.
    The thing is me calling her mum wasn't a complete accident. I had been thinking about calling her mum

ReputationRep:
    Sarah came home about an hour ago. Her sister was with her and she was saying to me that I need to back off from Sarah and I am putting her under WAY too much pressure. I don't mean to, Sarah hasn't given me much eye contact either! I don't like this. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    Sarah came back form the trip and her sister came inside. Sarah went upstairs to do something and I was told by her sister to back off Sarah and don't pressure into being something she isn't *sigh* it really upset me, this was at about 8ish and I have been in my room since. I don't know what to say to Sarah now. What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Sarah came back form the trip and her sister came inside. Sarah went upstairs to do something and I was told by her sister to back off Sarah and don't pressure into being something she isn't *sigh* it really upset me, this was at about 8ish and I have been in my room since. I don't know what to say to Sarah now. What would you do?
    Wow, tricky. While her sister may be right, she sounds like she said it very insensitively.
    Anyway, I say she may be right because you haven't been the nicest of stepdaughters for a long, long time, and then in one day you've had fun together and you've called her 'mum' - it must be quite a shock for her. I'm not saying your step-aunt is necessarily right, but this is just why she said such a thing, just so you understand.
    What would I do? To be honest, I would stay in my room until tomorrow when everything's blown over a little, and try to break the ice tomorrow. Maybe if the moment's right, I would talk to Sarah about it, saying sorry for everything (my behaviour etc.), and maybe we can start anew...? I'm not sure if this is the BEST thing to do, but I think it's what I would do.

ReputationRep:
    Sarah came home about an hour ago. Her sister was with her and she was saying to me that I need to back off from Sarah and I am putting her under WAY too much pressure. I don't mean to, Sarah hasn't given me much eye contact either! I don't like this. What should I do?
    Hmmm, another tricky development. Is there something else that happened to cause that reaction? Things have moved really fast in the last couple of days, and that might be confusing, not least for your step-brother. Just keep being nice, and take things one step at a time.

How about writing a letter? Seeing as when you tried to talk to her in person things didn't necessarily go the way you had planned this might be better. This way you can include everything that you want to say to her. Leave it somewhere that you know she will find it, and then wait for her to come and talk to you.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk to her about it. Tell her you won't swear and even if you don't like her food don't insult it maybe. Act more grown up and tell her you want a more grown up relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How about writing a letter? Seeing as when you tried to talk to her in person things didn't necessarily go the way you had planned this might be better. This way you can include everything that you want to say to her. Leave it somewhere that you know she will find it, and then wait for her to come and talk to you.
    I agree. that way you would be able to tell everything you want without feeling stressed or embarrassed and Sarah would have time to think about it. And tell her that you've been thinking of calling her mum and why - she should be touched by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    Wow, tricky. While her sister may be right, she sounds like she said it very insensitively.
    Anyway, I say she may be right because you haven't been the nicest of stepdaughters for a long, long time, and then in one day you've had fun together and you've called her 'mum' - it must be quite a shock for her. I'm not saying your step-aunt is necessarily right, but this is just why she said such a thing, just so you understand.
    What would I do? To be honest, I would stay in my room until tomorrow when everything's blown over a little, and try to break the ice tomorrow. Maybe if the moment's right, I would talk to Sarah about it, saying sorry for everything (my behaviour etc.), and maybe we can start anew...? I'm not sure if this is the BEST thing to do, but I think it's what I would do.
    I was nice to them this morning and I made them a breakfast. I am a vegetarian so I made it with Quorn stuff. Sarah was happy and praised me for it but her sister wasn't as happy I HATE my step-aunt right now, she told me that is wasn't good for her and gave me a lecture on quorn and how being a vegetarian is stupid. I started shouting and saying stuff because I lost my temper andmy step aunt was shouting. I finally just walked off. my step-brother said to my step aunt "Big Meanie" that made me laugh (I am starting to love my little step brother) Sarah once again is pissed off with me and it isn't even all my fault.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, another tricky development. Is there something else that happened to cause that reaction? Things have moved really fast in the last couple of days, and that might be confusing, not least for your step-brother. Just keep being nice, and take things one step at a time.
    I don't know whats wrong with my step aunt. I do know though when I was really bad to Sarah she would tell her sister and then her sister would say stff abour me! My step-aunt hasn't got a good impression after me. I tried to change it at breakfast (if you look above you will see what happened) It didn't work. some of my step family are really annoying!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.