SQA Results Day 2013 - Appeals FAQ Watch

Heisenberg_123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I obtained a 2 in my close reading exam, a 1 in my talk, and a 3 in my writing exam; overall gaining a grade 2. Can I take Higher English even though I got a 3 in my writing exam, or is it the overall grade that counts?

LionKing1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Heisenberg_123)
I obtained a 2 in my close reading exam, a 1 in my talk, and a 3 in my writing exam; overall gaining a grade 2. Can I take Higher English even though I got a 3 in my writing exam, or is it the overall grade that counts?

My friend got a 2 at SG then got an A at higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
lala4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Heisenberg_123)

I got that exact grade last year including those same component grades. I started doing higher until January when i got 38% in my prelim and then got dropped because i struggled a bit. I sat int 2 and got a B.. could have gotten an A but i didn't really study haha! Although my my teacher didn't know i only had a 3 for writing. I think it is up to the school though.
Memetics
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello people.

I'm not submitting an urgent appeal, but just for one of my standard grades. However the deadline for appeals is the 21st, which also happens to be the day my school goes back from holiday. Would you recommend I got in touch with my school now, or would it be fin toe wait until the school goes back?

:ta:
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Memetics)
Hello people.

I'm not submitting an urgent appeal, but just for one of my standard grades. However the deadline for appeals is the 21st, which also happens to be the day my school goes back from holiday. Would you recommend I got in touch with my school now, or would it be fin toe wait until the school goes back?

:ta:
That's the deadline for Higher and AH appeals. The deadline for SG appeals is 9th September - you've got plenty time and can wait until you go back.
Memetics
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
That's the deadline for Higher and AH appeals. The deadline for SG appeals is 9th September - you've got plenty time and can wait until you go back.
Oh thanks, I didn't think it was that soon, but I got a bit anxious after seeing people comment on the deadline and thougt it was so soon, no problem then
Markmcculloch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got rejected for an appeal from my school as my exam, a band 3 B (65%-69%) was "too close to an A" to appeal for an A, what does that mean? Shouldn't that make me more eligible? P.s my prelim was an A

Also, does anyone know if medical schools accept top up- as I cannot get an appeal?

[SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE
EllieSaysHeya
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After reading what other people have said, I'm starting to worry that maybe they lost one of my booklets for AH history. I did have to get 2 extra booklets because the first time I asked for more paper I only got the small booklet (4 pages or something). But then again, maybe my history teacher was off when he gave us our dissertation estimates. Like way off.
It could just be that my essays weren't as good as I thought they were which has happened before. But even when I was trying to estimate what grade I may get with bad essays and source questions, I always came out with an average to low B.

*confused/paranoid for no reason rant over*

(I'm still happy I passed ^_^ )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Markmcculloch)
Got rejected for an appeal from my school as my exam, a band 3 B (65%-69%) was "too close to an A" to appeal for an A, what does that mean? Shouldn't that make me more eligible? P.s my prelim was an A

Also, does anyone know if medical schools accept top up- as I cannot get an appeal?
I don't understand this logic at all. Are you sure there hasn't been a miscommunication somewhere? I've never seen a student be refused an appeal because they're "too close to an A". Did you mention that you need it if you're to have any hope of getting into medical school as a school leaver? Like I said in my other reply, your chances are already incredibly small with that C. Not being able to appeal the B would push you out of the running altogether, unfortunately!
It might be time for you to start looking at alternative routes into medicine: our wiki has lots of information about these.

Medical schools don't accept top up. Sorry. :no:
Markmcculloch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't understand this logic at all. Are you sure there hasn't been a miscommunication somewhere? I've never seen a student be refused an appeal because they're "too close to an A". Did you mention that you need it if you're to have any hope of getting into medical school as a school leaver? Like I said in my other reply, your chances are already incredibly small with that C. Not being able to appeal the B would push you out of the running altogether, unfortunately!
It might be time for you to start looking at alternative routes into medicine: our wiki has lots of information about these.

Medical schools don't accept top up. Sorry. :no:
He said that I was extremely close to an A, as it was a band 3, so as my prelim was an A band 2 I can not appeal because- and I quote "you need to be more than 1 band of a difference between your prelim and final exam to appeal". Which is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard as getting a high B should increase my chances of a successful appeal.

Zack_836
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm planning to arrange an urgent appeal for a Higher Mathematics grade B to get moved up to a grade A. This appeal is very important as it will confirm my place for an Engineering course at The university of Edinburgh. It for my Firm choice too, so life depends on it

I got an A in the prelim and was predicted an A for the final exam but sadly achieved a B. I've also go alot of evidence of acheving high percentages on mock test exams officially marked by the teacher. All A-grade submitted homework over the year nd hopefully a good reference from the teacher wiil be gd.

Please advice me if you think I have a good chance of getting the appeal
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He said that I was extremely close to an A, as it was a band 3, so as my prelim was an A band 2 I can not appeal because- and I quote "you need to be more than 1 band of a difference between your prelim and final exam to appeal". Which is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard as getting a high B should increase my chances of a successful appeal.

Ahh, okay. That's totally different! What he's saying is that he doesn't feel like your evidence is strong enough to get a successful appeal - not that your exam grade is too good to appeal!

(Original post by Zack_836)
Hi, I'm planning to arrange an urgent appeal for a Higher Mathematics grade B to get moved up to a grade A. This appeal is very important as it will confirm my place for an Engineering course at The university of Edinburgh. It for my Firm choice too, so life depends on it

I got an A in the prelim and was predicted an A for the final exam but sadly achieved a B. I've also go alot of evidence of acheving high percentages on mock test exams officially marked by the teacher. All A-grade submitted homework over the year nd hopefully a good reference from the teacher wiil be gd.

Please advice me if you think I have a good chance of getting the appeal
I'm afraid we can't tell you about the likelihood of a successful appeal. The process is too idiosyncratic for us to make an honest judgement, and we simply don't have access to the information, or the expertise, available to comment.
You've got the appeal sorted out, so all we can do from here is to wish you the best of luck! There's nothing else we can really say here, or that you can really do. Just hope for the best, and I hope you make your firm!

Don't worry about not making your firm - it's not the end of the world if you don't make it into Edinburgh. You've still got plenty of other options; your life certainly doesn't end if you don't meet the offer! Plenty of other universities with great courses that can lead to equally great futures.
Markmcculloch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ahh, okay. That's totally different! What he's saying is that he doesn't feel like your evidence is strong enough to get a successful appeal - not that your exam grade is too good to appeal!

I'm afraid we can't tell you about the likelihood of a successful appeal. The process is too idiosyncratic for us to make an honest judgement, and we simply don't have access to the information, or the expertise, available to comment.
You've got the appeal sorted out, so all we can do from here is to wish you the best of luck! There's nothing else we can really say here, or that you can really do. Just hope for the best, and I hope you make your firm!

Don't worry about not making your firm - it's not the end of the world if you don't make it into Edinburgh. You've still got plenty of other options; your life certainly doesn't end if you don't meet the offer! Plenty of other universities with great courses that can lead to equally great futures.
I don't get this though, last year a friend of mines got the same prelim mark and a lower folio mark but he got appealed from a C to an A in the same subject, AN A FROM A C. With that in mind I don't get why I wouldn't have as good a chance of an appeal, if not better than his.
Even though my deputy head teacher said no to the appeal, could I speak to my subject teacher and see if he could try talk them into it? He thought I was getting an A from day one.
Are you a teacher or something? You seem to answer all my questions! It's appreciated!

Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't get this though, last year a friend of mines got the same prelim mark and a lower folio mark but he got appealed from a C to an A in the same subject, AN A FROM A C. With that in mind I don't get why I wouldn't have as good a chance of an appeal, if not better than his.
Even though my deputy head teacher said no to the appeal, could I speak to my subject teacher and see if he could try talk them into it? He thought I was getting an A from day one.
Are you a teacher or something? You seem to answer all my questions! It's appreciated!

If you're eligible for an appeal (i.e. you're on the list), then there's nothing you can lose by trying to speak to your teacher and fighting to get an appeal. Get your parents involved if you really want it, but make sure you're on the appeals list first and you're eligible.
Markmcculloch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
If you're eligible for an appeal (i.e. you're on the list), then there's nothing you can lose by trying to speak to your teacher and fighting to get an appeal. Get your parents involved if you really want it, but make sure you're on the appeals list first and you're eligible.
He told me I was not eligible because I got a band 3B and and prelim was a band 2 A, for an appeal you need to apparently have 2 bands between your prelim and exam. But I emailed the sqa asking if I could appeal and they told me I could.

Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
He told me I was not eligible because I got a band 3B and and prelim was a band 2 A, for an appeal you need to apparently have 2 bands between your prelim and exam. But I emailed the sqa asking if I could appeal and they told me I could.

By asking if you're eligible, I'm asking if you're on the list of candidates who are eligible for an appeal. So, you have to have been predicted an A to get an appeal, which it seems you have been if you got an A in your prelim but it's always worth checking. As I say, if you're eligible, just fight your case if you really want that appeal.
Markmcculloch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ecosse_14)
By asking if you're eligible, I'm asking if you're on the list of candidates who are eligible for an appeal. So, you have to have been predicted an A to get an appeal, which it seems you have been if you got an A in your prelim but it's always worth checking. As I say, if you're eligible, just fight your case if you really want that appeal.
When I asked for the appeal, he told me I was not on the list- which is stupid as I was predicated at an A from day one and got an A at the prelim. I also got 55/60 for my folio, which given with my prelim results would give me a Band one 160/200. (He told me 80% was a band one but I'm sure it's 85%). P.s he's not accounting for my folio in the prelim, but is in the final exam. Which is unreliable. When given the folio with my exam results I got 65-69%, but he still states I'm not on the list. Should I fight against it?

Ecosse_14
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
When I asked for the appeal, he told me I was not on the list- which is stupid as I was predicated at an A from day one and got an A at the prelim. I also got 55/60 for my folio, which given with my prelim results would give me a Band one 160/200. (He told me 80% was a band one but I'm sure it's 85%). P.s he's not accounting for my folio in the prelim, but is in the final exam. Which is unreliable. When given the folio with my exam results I got 65-69%, but he still states I'm not on the list. Should I fight against it?

If you're not on the list then you weren't predicted an A and you can't really fight against it I'm afraid :dontknow: Sorry!
Apologetic Cube
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Have you heard from Asklepios, by the way? Wonder if he got the A's...
Hype en Ecosse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Apologetic Cube)
Have you heard from Asklepios, by the way? Wonder if he got the A's...
Nah, he's busy with real life, atm. Doesn't matter for his future, anyway. He's off to Edinburgh this year even if he failed everything.
Wouldn't be my place to hand out his exam results even if I knew.

(Original post by Asklepios)
x
For reference when you're back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?