Turn on thread page Beta

World Cup 2022 to be played in the winter. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXERTYRE)
    The PL can take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if both parties fail to conclude a deal. There are too much money involved with TV money.
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't have given it to Qatar then. Idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXERTYRE)
    The PL can take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) if both parties fail to conclude a deal. There are too much money involved with TV money.
    I suppose the PL could do that, but they would not win. The PL do not run world football, FIFA do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Would make sense to move it to the winter tbh. But, the u21s was held in Israel and surely the climate there isn't too different compared to Qatar :dontknow:.
    Much of Israel is a Med climate, or semi-arid. Only the southern Negev, some some other areas, have the desert climate similar to Qatar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Much of Israel is a Med climate, or semi-arid. Only the southern Negev, some some other areas, have the desert climate similar to Qatar.
    Am I right in saying that the temperatures are similar in South Korea, which held the 2002 World Cup, to what the Qatari temperatures will be?

The Qatari's have said all stadia will be air conditioned and kept cool. I say people should stop moaning, and let the Qatari's get on with it, and let the 2022 be a summer tournament, in those cooled down stadia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Am I right in saying that the temperatures are similar in South Korea, which held the 2002 World Cup, to what the Qatari temperatures will be?

The Qatari's have said all stadia will be air conditioned and kept cool. I say people should stop moaning, and let the Qatari's get on with it, and let the 2022 be a summer tournament, in those cooled down stadia.
    Winter temperatures in Qatar will be a little lower, but summer will be higher (mid to late 30s instead of low 30s for South Korea).

Some of the temperatures and humidity in Qatar might be comparable to some of the games played in USA 1994.

ReputationRep:
    Winter temperatures in Qatar will be a little lower, but summer will be higher (mid to late 30s instead of low 30s for South Korea).

Some of the temperatures and humidity in Qatar might be comparable to some of the games played in USA 1994.
    Yes, I don't think there will be too much difference. I think some people are just upset that they got the World Cup.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they deserve a shot at it don't they

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I don't think there will be too much difference. I think some people are just upset that they got the World Cup.
    Perhaps there are some genuine concerns about corruption, but much of the rage is perhaps based on the fact that they have little "footballing culture" (nothing new), infrastructure (northing new). Too much emphasis is placed on weather.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps there are some genuine concerns about corruption, but much of the rage is perhaps based on the fact that they have little "footballing culture" (nothing new), infrastructure (northing new). Too much emphasis is placed on weather.
    Corruption? What do you mean :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is not The Politics Show. They put in a bid for the World Cup and they won it. No point people moaning about it. If they have no alcohol and a ban on homosexuality, what has that got to do with us or the running of The World Cup? Nothing.
    Would you be saying this if South Africa wanted to host the World Cup during apartheid? The boycotting of South Africa by sporting authorities, of which FIFA were one, started mixing football with politics right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    It may be "modern" but alcohol is prohibited
    Not quite. It is consumed in hotels, for example.

I am aware that some areas, previously did sell alcohol, have recently been banned from selling. But Qatar is attempting to develop its tourism sector. Like Bahrain, it may need to relax its attitudes if it wants to attract Western tourists.

homosexuality is illegal, human rights don't exist
    It is not a Bahrain or Kuwait, but there have been improvements.

It's not a footballing nation- it has never even been in the final 32 of any world cup.
    Several countries, who aren't major footballing powers, have hosted the tournament.

Why is this a reason to not give the bid to Qatar? Perhaps by holding it in the country interest in the sport will grow. South Korea wasn't a major footballing nation but look at how the people got behind the team in 2002, reaching the third place playoff.

Plus it is a small country of ...250,000, I think.

and they are an absolute monarchy which functions by the royal family throwing the countries wealth around.....It's literally only got the big because the Qatari monarchy threw $$$ at FIFA. I won't be suprised if in 9 years time the country's oil has run out and it collapses because Al Jazeera and Qatar Airways can't sustain the financial indulgences of the Monarchy.
    Ah, the rentier state. In that case income tax will become introduced and there will likely be further calls for political representation. That's the theory.

Yes, oil and gas reserves are finite, but I don't see them running out in the next 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Would you be saying this if South Africa wanted to host the World Cup during apartheid? The boycotting of South Africa by sporting authorities, of which FIFA were one, started mixing football with politics right there.
    Totally irrelevant, because an Apartheid South Africa would never have got the chance to host a World Cup. Unless you have visited Qatar like I have, then how can you be in a position to say that they are not fit to host the World Cup?

It is impossible to compare Qatar to Apartheid South Africa.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous analogy.

ReputationRep:
    Totally irrelevant, because an Apartheid South Africa would never have got the chance to host a World Cup. Unless you have visited Qatar like I have, then how can you be in a position to say that they are not fit to host the World Cup?

It is impossible to compare Qatar to Apartheid South Africa.
    They both discriminate against one demographic of people. You think gays will be available for team selection for national teams whose national laws are discriminatory towards them when they can be placed in jail or be executed?

No I have not visited Qatar, nor do I intend to. Not only can I not speak their language to a decent proficiency for visiting purposes but I rather not visit countries who enshrine discrimination in their jurisprudence. Theology is not an excuse for retrograde policies.

My only issue really is that people who are criticising Qatar's perceived worth of being a host because of their human rights record have, largely if not wholly, turned a blind eye to Israel hosting the Under-21 tournament. Obviously they don't watch the news.

ReputationRep:
    They both discriminate against one demographic of people. You think gays will be available for team selection for national teams whose national laws are discriminatory towards them when they can be placed in jail or be executed?

No I have not visited Qatar, nor do I intend to. Not only can I not speak their language to a decent proficiency for visiting purposes but I rather not visit countries who enshrine discrimination in their jurisprudence. Theology is not an excuse for retrograde policies.

My only issue really is that people who are criticising Qatar's perceived worth of being a host because of their human rights record have, largely if not wholly, turned a blind eye to Israel hosting the Under-21 tournament. Obviously they don't watch the news.
    Qatar does operate Sharia law, just like a lot of the Gulf countries do. However, when it comes to go homosexuality, there attitude is DADT. It is illegal, however, unlike Iran or Saudi Arabia, they will not hunt you down for being gay. In Qatar they have two official languages, Arabic and English. English is the defacto language, because it used to be a British Protectorate, and of course, English is the international language of business.

As far as the Israel go, that abomination of a country should not be allowed to host any form of event until they free the Palestinian people, and allow the creation of the state of Palestine.

ReputationRep:
    Qatar does operate Sharia law, just like a lot of the Gulf countries do. However, when it comes to go homosexuality, there attitude is DADT. It is illegal, however, unlike Iran or Saudi Arabia, they will not hunt you down for being gay. In Qatar they have two official languages, Arabic and English. English is the defacto language, because it used to be a British Protectorate, and of course, English is the international language of business.

As far as the Israel go, that abomination of a country should not be allowed to host any form of event until they free the Palestinian people, and allow the creation of the state of Palestine.
    Yeah Qatar legislates funny though. Homosexuality observed by females is legal but males is illegal. I believe it is, in theory, a sentence that is punishable up to five years in jail. It's that the discrepancy I think is absurd and merely gives me annoying memories of my history lessons on Henry Tudor from school. He was one of those that persecuted against male homosexuals but loved his lesbians from what I've learned. I do acknowledge that Qatar is not the most hateful of countries towards homosexuals though. Shame about Iran because it appeared to be going places before the Islamic Revolution came about. I think in light of footballing authorities being engaged in social projects such as anti-discrimination charities, whether it is FA or FIFA, people will undoubtedly look towards other demographics of people that are subject to hate crime. Plus, FIFA forces players to play for their country so what would a gay footballer feel like visiting a country that persecutes people who share his own sexuality? I'm not gay but I don't think I would feel comfortable taking part in a tournament in a country that executes gays. I don't think you have to be part of the demographic concerned that is being persecuted or discriminated against to believe in a cause for them.

I never understood why Israel escapes so much criticism unless people are worried about being labeled anti-semetic when they're not. Some of the biggest critics I've heard concerning Israel are Jewish themselves. Is their treatment of the Palestinians any better than apartheid South Africa of blacks? Both regimes are despicable and I suspect Israel's actions are worse than I imagine as I suspect the media either don't pick up on certain stuff or it's censored in one form or another. State sponsored violence like the Zionist regime of Israel does, in general, tend not be considered in the same league as by non-state perpetrators and I see no sense in that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Qatar legislates funny though. Homosexuality observed by females is legal but males is illegal. I believe it is, in theory, a sentence that is punishable up to five years in jail. It's that the discrepancy I think is absurd and merely gives me annoying memories of my history lessons on Henry Tudor from school. He was one of those that persecuted against male homosexuals but loved his lesbians from what I've learned. I do acknowledge that Qatar is not the most hateful of countries towards homosexuals though. Shame about Iran because it appeared to be going places before the Islamic Revolution came about. I think in light of footballing authorities being engaged in social projects such as anti-discrimination charities, whether it is FA or FIFA, people will undoubtedly look towards other demographics of people that are subject to hate crime. Plus, FIFA forces players to play for their country so what would a gay footballer feel like visiting a country that persecutes people who share his own sexuality? I'm not gay but I don't think I would feel comfortable taking part in a tournament in a country that executes gays. I don't think you have to be part of the demographic concerned that is being persecuted or discriminated against to believe in a cause for them.

I never understood why Israel escapes so much criticism unless people are worried about being labeled anti-semetic when they're not. Some of the biggest critics I've heard concerning Israel are Jewish themselves. Is their treatment of the Palestinians any better than apartheid South Africa of blacks? Both regimes are despicable and I suspect Israel's actions are worse than I imagine as I suspect the media either don't pick up on certain stuff or it's censored in one form or another. State sponsored violence like the Zionist regime of Israel does, in general, tend not be considered in the same league as by non-state perpetrators and I see no sense in that.
    Yes, sodomy is illegal in Qatar, however, if it is not boasted about, then they simply turn a blind eye to it. It is one of the most liberal gulf countries. The same can't be said for Saudi Arabia or Iran unfortunately. As far as Israel goes, I think the place is an abomination and a disgrace to the international community.

ReputationRep:
    I would not disagree with you on this. Israel hosting the U21 tournament was completely ignored by most people in relation to their activites against the Palestinians. A letter signed by a number of players was ignored by the media and it dissipated quietly and the tournament went along as normal.

In relation to Qatar, their bid should be judged on whether they can host a tournament safely for all people concerned. Issues on their homosexuality laws are something, that hopefully as 2022 is a while off, can be looked at adjusted and I'd say them hosting the tournament will make them look more seriously at it than if they weren't.

ReputationRep:
    FA chairman Greg Dyke says his organisation will back any plan to move the 2022 World Cup to the winter months.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...2022-world-cup

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.