Do you brush your teeth before or after breakfast? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jamie Musgrove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are supposed to brush your teeth half an hour before eating breakfast, minimum :P
I read a study on it, brushing after you eat can cause you to scrape away layers of softened enamel.
Also, it takes around half an hour for the substances in toothpaste, which protect your enamel (such as fluoride) to bind to your teeth completely. If you brush, then eat 10 minutes later, you are removing the substances which would be protecting your teeth.

That being said, I still brush after I eat, because I'm not the type of person to give myself enough time in the morning to brush, then wait half an hour before having breakfast without being late to college
urvaax3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I brush about a half hour before I eat (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
AnJuM218
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I brush my teeth before breakfast so I can get rid of that weird morning taste. Sometimes I brush again after I've had breakfast to get rid of that weird breakfast taste.
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After I wake up, the first thing I do is go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I'm surprised how people can do anything else with that horrible smell coming from their mouth. It's so repulsive.
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Roger1)
After I wake up, the first thing I do is go to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I'm surprised how people can do anything else with that horrible smell coming from their mouth. It's so repulsive.
This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ąямєиίєζ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I brush before breakfast and then rinse mouth with mouthwash after
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Afterwards...have you ever had orange juice after brushing your teeth? If you haven't then...don't. Ever.
I don't get morning breath though it's actually quite weird. Not sure if it's normal. All my past boyfriends have commented on how weird it is that I don't smell in the morning. Also about the enamel thing - I'm nearly 21 and have never had a filling, my dentist says my teeth are perfect. So I'm not sure how true that is either, or else I'm just really lucky.
curved
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Roger1)
Not everyone gets morning breath thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zhy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am surprised that nobody has said they don't brush their teeth in the morning.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After, you don't want to get your teeth dirty after spending 3 whole minutes brushing and gargling lol
ZRO
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOL got negged because I brush more than twice.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HashimKF)
Leaving it overnight is longer than between meals. For me it's just good hygiene practice. I chew gum a couple times a day to keep clean between brushes.

Each to their own I suppose.
You do realise it's not time going by without brushing that damages your teeth, but time with food left on them? If you didn't eat anything since brushing your teeth before bed, you have zero reason to worry about your teeth until you've next eaten something.
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HashimKF)
Preferable to Bacterios :rolleyes:
Speculation. Most bacteria will be destroyed in your gut. Is there any evidence that the swallowed bacteria is actually likely to do anything?

Plus you're constantly making and swallowing spit.
Ronove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)
Speculation. Most bacteria will be destroyed in your gut. Is there any evidence that the swallowed bacteria is actually likely to do anything?

Plus you're constantly making and swallowing spit.
It's cracking me up how many people think they're going to get ill from bacteria that is already in their mouth. If anything it'd be better to swallow it and let it die in your stomach acid.
SirMasterKey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After.
ladymarshmallow
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After...I was always under the impression that this would surely make more sense, logically..
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After. Can't understand why people brush them before.
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Secretnerd123)
Im before and i was suprised to find that many of my friends do it after breakfast. Why would you want to have breakfast with all that bacteria still in your mouth?
Thats just my opinion though! If you do it after please dont be offended

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've not read through the whole thread, but do you brush your teeth during the day as well? Goodness, imagine how stinky and bacteria ridden your mouth must be in the evening having ingested two meals and having not been brushed for at least 12 hours! :rolleyes:

EDIT: OK I sound waaaay too sincere in this post. Rolleyes smiley added to convey sarcasm.
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
I've not read through the whole thread, but do you brush your teeth during the day as well? Imagine how stinky and bacteria ridden your mouth must be in the evening having ingested two meals and having not been brushed for at least 12 hours!
Well, none of us have died yet from mouth bacteria so stop being paranoid.
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
It's cracking me up how many people think they're going to get ill from bacteria that is already in their mouth. If anything it'd be better to swallow it and let it die in your stomach acid.
I don't think they realise that bacteria colonies live everywhere on the human body.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1336)
79.67%
Leave (341)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed