Why are models so thin? Watch

Becky15
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JordanR)
because it's an anecdote and not worthy of being replied to, since it brings nothing to the argument. Give me some actual science that shows this is the case and I'll gladly write out a reply to you.
Pan anecdote?! You're the most ignorant person I think I've ever come across. I've told you twice Doctors with actual medical degrees have tried with me 500 calories extra a day for weeks and I didn't gain any weight at all, it wasn't just the case for me either it was other boys and girls on my ward. Clearly I know nothing though ...
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Becky15)
Pan anecdote?! You're the most ignorant person I think I've ever come across. I've told you twice Doctors with actual medical degrees have tried with me 500 calories extra a day for weeks and I didn't gain any weight at all, it wasn't just the case for me either it was other boys and girls on my ward. Clearly I know nothing though ...

From wikipedia:

The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts.

What you've given isn't scientific evidence, it's anecdotal evidence. Literally opposites of each other. What part of this is hard to understand?

Doctors with medical degrees aren't really the experts on this kinds of stuff either. They're not going to be the ones running actual real scientific experiments. The vast majority of doctors aren't involved in any kinds of research or anything whatsoever.
blanketyblank101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It makes me feel like a mutant or something, I'm 5'10 (actually closer to 5'11" but ashamed of it) and I'm a size 4 but I'm also In actual fact a real human being

That must be considered seriously underweight no? I am 5'11'' and a size 10 and people tell me I'm too thin lol!
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blanketyblank101)
That must be considered seriously underweight no? I am 5'11'' and a size 10 and people tell me I'm too thin lol!
I've been classed as anorexic since I was around 8 (I'm not and haven't been) I think I'm perfectly healthy.
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From wikipedia:

The expression anecdotal evidence refers to evidence from anecdotes. Because of the small sample, there is a larger chance that it may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Anecdotal evidence is considered dubious support of a claim; it is accepted only in lieu of more solid evidence. This is true regardless of the veracity of individual claims. The term is often used in contrast to scientific evidence, such as evidence-based medicine, which are types of formal accounts.

What you've given isn't scientific evidence, it's anecdotal evidence. Literally opposites of each other. What part of this is hard to understand?

Doctors with medical degrees aren't really the experts on this kinds of stuff either. They're not going to be the ones running actual real scientific experiments. The vast majority of doctors aren't involved in any kinds of research or anything whatsoever.

What is hard for you to understand that just because you've found some scientific research arguing your point it doesn't mean it's the same for every person and doesn't mean it's 100% right each person is different.
blanketyblank101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been classed as anorexic since I was around 8 (I'm not and haven't been) I think I'm perfectly healthy.

To be honest, if it has not effected your day to day, then I'd say your healthy too. Until something becomes an issue, like fainting or malnutrition, then who cares!!
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by blanketyblank101)
To be honest, if it has not effected your day to day, then I'd say your healthy too. Until something becomes an issue, like fainting or malnutrition, then who cares!!

My weights give me heart problems, osteoporosis stomach issues, dizziness and stopped me having an operation I needed haha but I don't have a mental illness
JordanR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What is hard for you to understand that just because you've found some scientific research arguing your point it doesn't mean it's the same for every person and doesn't mean it's 100% right each person is different.
>each person is different

thermodynamics doesn't change. the LAWS of thermodynamics. Weight loss and gain are all about energy deficits and surpluses. If you take in a surplus, you gain weight. At a deficit, you lose weight. Everyone wants to think that they're a special snowflake, but they're not.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that your anecdote of n=1 is not valid evidence in supporting any argument? Kindly provide some actual citations.
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
>each person is different

thermodynamics doesn't change. the LAWS of thermodynamics. Weight loss and gain are all about energy deficits and surpluses. If you take in a surplus, you gain weight. At a deficit, you lose weight. Everyone wants to think that they're a special snowflake, but they're not.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that your anecdote of n=1 is not valid evidence in supporting any argument? Kindly provide some actual citations.
There is no point in having a discussion with someone who is stuck in their own ways.
rainbow.panda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
You have a high metabolism, consider yourself lucky tbh
I do consider myself lucky, and I know many would kill to be able to have such a relaxed attitude to food as I do.
gijops
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I've good looking models facially before but their body kind of lets them down :curious:

PS: I'm talking mainly about fashion models btw.

they need to be tall and thin to show the best side of fashionable clothes... sure there are some clothes that look better on thicker girls like leggings and tube tops but honestly, when do you see stuff like that in a fashion show?

and being thin is a symbol of elegance for women in today's day in age so you can't do anything about that
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out of interest, are your family all slim too?
Little J
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of the high-fashion/editorial models are naturally skinny believe it or not some attribute it to genetics and ultimately high metabolism. Clothes look better on a thin, tall person than someone who hasn't quite lost all their baby weight.

Thin equates to beauty, there's no other reason.
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Out of interest, are your family all slim too?
No not really average tbh, I can't tell if my dads slim due to him being a gym head!
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No not really average tbh, I can't tell if my dads slim due to him being a gym head!
Ah I see. Sorry if you've already answered this but have you been tested for thyroid problems? Hyperthyroidism can make it really hard to gain weight.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Economi)
For couture fashion shows they're not trying to get people to want to buy and wear the clothes. The clothes are often one of a kind, and are being displayed as art, the model is only acting as an easel. They don't want to distract away from the outfit.
I don't get it, they're making one-off "clothes" for the sake of it? Wtf?
Harley
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
I don't get it, they're making one-off "clothes" for the sake of it? Wtf?
Why paint a picture for the sake of it? Why write a song? It's art, it's subjective, other people enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alexok
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I've good looking models facially before but their body kind of lets them down :curious:

PS: I'm talking mainly about fashion models btw.
Its because gay men are judging they're looks
Becky15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Ah I see. Sorry if you've already answered this but have you been tested for thyroid problems? Hyperthyroidism can make it really hard to gain weight.
Its okay, I've been tested for everything and I mean everything, I get my bloods done every 4 weeks as well!
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Harley)
Why paint a picture for the sake of it? Why write a song? It's art, it's subjective, other people enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not comparable.

You paint pictures - for people to look at it.
You write songs - for people to listen to it.
You design clothes - for people to wear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads