Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananarama2)
    I was talking to one of the second years! Some of the rooms at Emma have been refurbished, but not mine. I may be pleasantly surprised who knows.
    You might learn to love it, warts and all? I'm sure it'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Girls - what are you wearing to matriculation? Ball gown? Casual dress (whatever that is)? Somewhere in between? I'm so confused! I don't know how formal it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    Girls - what are you wearing to matriculation? Ball gown? Casual dress (whatever that is)? Somewhere in between? I'm so confused! I don't know how formal it is!
    Dress to impress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hebbamundo)
    Dress to impress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People don't understand how hard it is being a girl and trying to find what to wear - boys just wear suits all the time, 'dress to impress' is also vague! :cry2::dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to need to go shopping because I don't own anything formal :zomg:

Dress to impress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Impress who? Because if I am trying to impress lecturers I will probably want to wear something different to what I would wear to impress boys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I think I'm going to need to go shopping because I don't own anything formal :zomg:
    I know the feeling! All I have is a prom dress, which I'm pretty sure is far too over the top for a dinner...

ReputationRep:
    People don't understand how hard it is being a girl and trying to find what to wear - boys just wear suits all the time, 'dress to impress' is also vague! :cry2::dontknow:
    Emma says "Plain dark dress or suit with skirt or trousers with a white blouse and black shoes."

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling! All I have is a prom dress, which I'm pretty sure is far too over the top for a dinner...
    Same, plus our prom was in year 11 so mine is a bit tight in the bust now :lol: I don't know if I'd want to wear heels around cobbled floors either!

Emma says "Plain dark dress or suit with skirt or trousers with a white blouse and black shoes."

Hope that helps
    Ok so the options are LBD or school uniform :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ok so the options are LBD or school uniform :lol:
    Well, at least it's not school uniform, full stop.

ReputationRep:
    Well, at least it's not school uniform, full stop.
    True, and at least it's not my old school uniform :nooo: (If you don't know how awful it was, stalk my photos)

ReputationRep:
    Haha, true. I'll just wear a suit and look as fly as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Impress who? Because if I am trying to impress lecturers I will probably want to wear something different to what I would wear to impress boys
    I think we'll get along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    True, and at least it's not my old school uniform :nooo: (If you don't know how awful it was, stalk my photos)
    Stalking commencing

ReputationRep:
    I think we'll get along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really? :lol:

Stalking commencing
    I don't think a worse uniform has existed :lol: And their results are worse than ever - 48% A*-C this year :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a worse uniform has existed :lol: And their results are worse than ever - 48% A*-C this year :lolwut:
    Yeh. It's pretty terrible Oh dear. My school haven't published the stats yet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. It's pretty terrible Oh dear. My school haven't published the stats yet.
    It's the second story in our local newspaper, after "local man stabbed to death".

ReputationRep:
    It's the second story in our local newspaper, after "local man stabbed to death".
    Well a story about swallows comes higher up than results in our local paper

ReputationRep:
    Nice town.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nice town.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be fair, we haven't had anything like that for ages.

Well a story about swallows comes higher up than results in our local paper
    On the local news on tv, we get stories about tractors and things like that :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Ok people, help me out please.

... I don't have a suit. Where I come from (Switzerland) suits are usually not required for school events and the like, so a lot of boys / men don't have one until much later. So anyway, I don't have one, and I'm pretty sure I need one at Cambridge.

Now... what to buy and where to buy it? Do you have any suggestions? It doesn't have to be the absolutely cheapest option, as I believe in spending a bit more in exchange for higher quality, or, in case of a suit, a better fit.

Also: which type would you recommend? Don't I actually need two, like a normal suit plus a dinner suit?

I know, this probably sounds incredibly daft to you, but I've really never worn one, nor has my father, so there's not a lot of 'suit knowledge' in the family, I'm afraid. ^^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.