Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAsian)
    I think the 3A2+1AS over Yrs 12+13 is only for QM...
    One of my friends finished Maths in Year 12 so only had Bio, Chem and Psych in Year 13. She got her Medicine offer from Imperial.
    Hmm...

Thanks for all your advice, btw
    I appreciate it!
    Sorry, does QM stand for Queen Mary?

If it does, I know quite a few universities that require a fourth AS: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

Birmingham also requires an AS at grade A (found out by emailing them - no indication of this requirement anywhere on their website or TSR).

If it worked out for your friend, the stuff I said is probably wrong. I'm guessing they counted Maths somehow. Email the relevant universities and explain your situation, they're in a much better position to tell you if you'd be able to apply as your situation is a little unique. Is it your college's policy to sit A-levels in Year 11? Do they only let you do 3 in Year 12 and 13 or did you both choose to do this?

And you're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat-lover)
    Sorry, does QM stand for Queen Mary?

If it does, I know quite a few universities that require a fourth AS: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

Birmingham also requires an AS at grade A (found out by emailing them - no indication of this requirement anywhere on their website or TSR).

If it worked out for your friend, the stuff I said is probably wrong. I'm guessing they counted Maths somehow. Email the relevant universities and explain your situation, they're in a much better position to tell you if you'd be able to apply as your situation is a little unique. Is it your college's policy to sit A-levels in Year 11? Do they only let you do 3 in Year 12 and 13 or did you both choose to do this?

And you're welcome.
    Haha, yes: QM = Queen Mary

I emailed all the London ones + Cambridge; QM seems to be the only one to have a problem with it.

My school/ sixth form offers the opportunity to do early AS Levels. I initially thought I could just finish Maths and do Bio and Chem for Year 13, but that's obv not the case

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yes: QM = Queen Mary

I emailed all the London ones + Cambridge; QM seems to be the only one to have a problem with it.

My school/ sixth form offers the opportunity to do early AS Levels. I initially thought I could just finish Maths and do Bio and Chem for Year 13, but that's obv not the case
    If the ones you're interested in don't have an AS requirement given your circumstances, then you're fine. Did you ask them about Further Maths? It should count towards your offer. What they normally mean by not accepting both is that you don't meet the entry requirements if you get AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Further Maths and Maths are viewed as the same subject just like Sports Science and Biology tend to be by some universities. AAA in Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology should be alright. If you're really worried you can pick up Psychology like you said. This will also increase your tariff points and put you in a better position for Barts.

ReputationRep:
    If the ones you're interested in don't have an AS requirement given your circumstances, then you're fine. Did you ask them about Further Maths? It should count towards your offer. What they normally mean by not accepting both is that you don't meet the entry requirements if you get AAA in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Further Maths and Maths are viewed as the same subject just like Sports Science and Biology tend to be by some universities. AAA in Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology should be alright. If you're really worried you can pick up Psychology like you said. This will also increase your tariff points and put you in a better position for Barts.
    Yeah that's what I thought

Here's Imperial's reply:
    "Provided you are sitting 3 new A Levels in year 13 (ie, not ones taken and completed over years 11 and 12) then you will be considered for the medical programme. Our normal offer for applicants offering 4 A2 levels is AAAC.
    As you have achieved an A in A2 maths you will need to offer AAC in your 3 A2 levels sat in year 13"

I specifically asked them about the Further Maths, and they confirmed it's not a problem. I just hope the rest of the unis reply with the same conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I thought

Here's Imperial's reply:
    "Provided you are sitting 3 new A Levels in year 13 (ie, not ones taken and completed over years 11 and 12) then you will be considered for the medical programme. Our normal offer for applicants offering 4 A2 levels is AAAC.
    As you have achieved an A in A2 maths you will need to offer AAC in your 3 A2 levels sat in year 13"

I specifically asked them about the Further Maths, and they confirmed it's not a problem. I just hope the rest of the unis reply with the same conditions.
    That's really good, hopefully all of them will tell you the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Is it 900 based on your subjects alone or a lot of other qualifications? Because that is crazy high. :eek: And the only cut-off is 2400 total score (so 600 average). With a UCAS tariff of 900, it'd make up for a lower UKCAT score. From last year's stats, 700 tariff points was enough to get an interview with a UKCAT score of 600. What is your UKCAT score if you've already sat it?
    900 is including an A level, AS and piano grade taken before this year My ukcat was 687.5, but I have been told that the internal Ukcat cut-off last year was 680, so I'm worried about the cut-off for this year.

ReputationRep:
    Did you count all AS and A levels to get to 900 as you should only count A levels only and then any AS levels not taken at A2 i.e. you take 4xAS and 3xA2 in 3 of the 4 AS subjects, so if all results were grade A, that would mean 3 x 120 + 1 x 60 for the AS. Wondering how you're getting to 900 with just exams and piano grade so just highlighting to make sure you are working out your UCAS correctly or I have it wrong myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli26)
    900 is including an A level, AS and piano grade taken before this year My ukcat was 687.5, but I have been told that the internal Ukcat cut-off last year was 680, so I'm worried about the cut-off for this year.
    900 is amazing, wow, you must've been predicted 5A*s at A2? Cut-off is 600 for UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli26)
    Where did you hear that? Their website says the cut-off is 600. With tariff points of 900, you can get away with getting 600 very easily. If you calculated your UCAS points correctly, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Barts.

ReputationRep:
    What are combined UCAS tariffs + UKCAT scores looking like for you guys applying to Barts?

ReputationRep:
    Where did you hear that? Their website says the cut-off is 600. With tariff points of 900, you can get away with getting 600 very easily. If you calculated your UCAS points correctly, you're pretty much guaranteed an interview at Barts.
    That sounds reassuring, but I was told by a current barts student at the open day that they have another internal cut-off after they receive all the applications over 600 to decide which students get the interviews.:confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mli26)
    That sounds reassuring, but I was told by a current barts student at the open day that they have another internal cut-off after they receive all the applications over 600 to decide which students get the interviews.:confused::confused:
    Hmmm, that is a little worrying. I'd apply anyway if I was in your position because I'm pretty sure your tariff points might give you an advantage. Maybe the internal cut-off is just the UKCAT score that depends on your tariff points and this student happened to need 680? I think I'm gonna email them now. Hopefully they can shed some light on this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapien)
    I've got 4As at AS level, all four of which i am taking to A2 level. I presume i am getting 4 A* predictions so would that mean i get a total of
    560? Would that be suffice to outweigh a UKCAT of 692.5?
    From last year's statistics that looks enough for an interview. However, you never know what the competition will be like this year :/

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the UKCAT cut-off for graduate entry was last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrWally)
    Anyone know what the UKCAT cut-off for graduate entry was last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...FAQs/99618.pdf

ReputationRep:
    That's very useful, thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    wondering if I stand a chance of an interview at barts with A*AAA predictions and an additional b at AS with a UKCAT of 743? do barts look at the individual section scores? I got 530,640,900,900 so really worried about the 530 in VR :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitnimohabbathai)
    wondering if I stand a chance of an interview at barts with A*AAA predictions and an additional b at AS with a UKCAT of 743? do barts look at the individual section scores? I got 530,640,900,900 so really worried about the 530 in VR :/
    Barts only look at the overall UKCAT score for the cognitive section, not the individual subtest scores, so don't worry.

Your UCAS tariff is good, think it works out to be 550, and combined with your UKCAT score I think you stand a very good chance.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys just wondering if I stand a chance of an interview at barts with A*AAA predictions and an additional b at AS with a UKCAT of 743? do barts look at the individual section scores? I got 530,640,900,900 so really worried about the 530 in VR :/ Also are the UCAS tariff points based on AS or predicted A2s?? If I got AAABB at AS and i'm predicted A*AAA how many points is that? Do you add the points for the B at AS to the 500 from the predicted A2s?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am currently on a BSc course due to finish next year and im thinking to apply to the 5 year course .
    I got AAAd in 3 A levels and 1 AS and that works out to be 420 ucas points . Will that be enough to apply to Barts. Also I got 745 average UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.