Turn on thread page Beta

Do you thank the bus driver? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you say thank you?
    Yes
    75.26%
    No
    5.84%
    Sometimes / If I feel like it
    18.90%

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I thank the driver and most people in Brisbane do too.

ReputationRep:
    always :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I always say thanks, it's just being polite.

ReputationRep:
    Its poilet but tbh i'm paying for my transport and he's getting not doing me favour so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen)
    So it seems that the general consensus is that people do thank the driver with a possible exception of people in London. I wonder why that is? Are the buses in London dirtier or later than buses in other cities so people are in worse moods when they exit the bus? Is it a case of there being more foreigners in London who in their native countries wouldn't say thank you so they have introduced that practice into London? Or perhaps another reason. I would like to hear from any non-British here or people who have used a bus in another country regarding if people said thank you in those countries.
    In London, the exit for the bus is quite far from the driver, so you have to shout for the driver to hear you, especially when the bus is crowded. This is the reason, why I don't say thank you to driver when in London. I hate raising my voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajibola)
    In London, the exit for the bus is quite far from the driver, so you have to shout for the driver to hear you, especially when the bus is crowded. This is the reason, why I don't say thank you to driver when in London. I hate raising my voice.
    If you were in London and used a normal bus where the door is next to the driver, would you say thank you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I mean come on is it that hard?
    A quick cheers or thanks will do, it is always good to have manners.
    Even if they don't say anything back, you did your part as being a reasonable and approachable person.
    A thank you/cheers may really help someone or you to feel a bit more positive on a horrible morning. c:

ReputationRep:
    It's always really nice to say thank you and be polite a little. But it's a more automatic thing than anything else. Otherwise if I'm running for it and the kind driver happened to wait for me to race across the road then I'm more grateful and it comes from the heart. Besides, a smile and a thank you brightens up everyone's day

ReputationRep:
    If you were in London and used a normal bus where the door is next to the driver, would you say thank you?
    Yes.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    In London? No. Everywhere else? Yes.

It's just not the done thing in London.
    I see people do it in London all the time (when I happen to be sitting on the lower deck or next the doors)

I don't do it myself - I've never really thought about it, but I do thank people of other professions, such as sales assistants, receptionists, waiters... I do think it's nice when people thank bus drivers though ^_^

ReputationRep:
    yes, I think the bus driver would appreciate it and when I do he replies have a good day

ReputationRep:
    Almost all the time, unless the bus driver has been a complete douche, I'll thank them - as it seems every person in Ireland does. Every time people get off I hear them say thanks. It takes no effort for me and, yes they get paid for it, but what's wrong with showing a little appreciation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I've more than once caught myself thanking the ATM.

Yes, then.
    Same :erm:

Yes I do, just as Id thank someone who served me in a shop or pub. Its just basic manners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering if the people of TSR say thank you to the bus driver when they exit. If so, why? You have paid a company for the bus ticket and the driver is not taking you from place to place from the kindness of his/her own heart, so why do you thank them for doing something they are supposed to do? Should you also thank street cleaners as you walk past them? Thoughts? (I would like to add that I am not necessarily saying if I do or do not say thank you my self, I am just wondering about other peoples opinions). Edit: I am not quite sure why I have been negged, I have simply asked a question.
    If I'm exiting the bus via the doors closest to the back then no. If I have to walk past the driver to get off the bus then yes.

Why? Just out of politeness. Just because they're supposed to do it doesn't mean we shouldn't appreciate it.

I don't necessarily thank street cleaners, but I always smile at them as a way of saying 'thanks for doing what you do'. It's just my way of being friendly and polite .

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how nice the bus driver is to be honest, Some Bus Drivers are actually so scary and some are really nice and do the cute lil wave to their colleagues on the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eXemp)
    londoners would beg to differ
    Fair enough but I'm not a Londoner

ReputationRep:
    It's just rude not to, right?

ReputationRep:
    I do, unless for a specific reason like the driver being deliberately rude. It doesn't cost anything to say thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just manners and it cost nothing and takes up maybe three seconds of my life?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.