Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrx123)
    I get shy around people, don't like group work and always live in fear that people don't like me

I just don't know how to feel letting people know
    Wow - you're shy and you worry. You must have a disease!

Why does everyone with personality flaws have Asperger syndrome or Autism or ADHD or some other medical problem?

Whatever happened to people just having poor social skills? Now everyone has a medical condition and is a victim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    There's a difference. He has been diagnosed with Asperger's AND he's showing these symptoms. He's not saying he must have it BECAUSE of these symptoms.

Also, Autism and ADHD are medical conditions that can greatly affect someone's life. Try not to be too much of an ******* when commenting on them, thanks.
    He didn't say any such thing in the first post. Try actually knowing what you are talking about before replying to people.

Autism and ADHD are also conditions people self-diagnose themselves with nowadays because it's fashionable to say you have it instead of acknowledge you just have poor social skills.

Try not to be such an uptight, ignorant ******** when commenting on people's posts.

Thanks
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by OU Student)
    What good it is labelling yourself with something you may not even have? You wouldn't label yourself with a serious brain disease, so why label yourself with Aspergers?
    A professor (in maths at Cambridge) recently said something along the lines of "Everyone in this room is Aspie - only some of you are the blessed few who have a certificate in it." In some contexts, it can be something of a badge of pride.

ReputationRep:
    Hm, it is true, that some Aspie tests show that people doing a Math degree score high. In my opinion, that's because some people can't understand that you don't have to be different to do Math/Engineering/Physics etc. The questions on these "Pre-Screening-Everyone can do tests" are often in a way, that you could say, every engineer has Aspergers, because his job envolves often "liking numbers", "found a logic behind", etc. .... But there is a great difference, if that is your job or if you are also fascinated by dates.

Concerning wanting a label:
    Although I see no problem in applying ways of thinking to your own, as long it helps, I think it is dangerous to label yourself without proper diagnosis, because this can shut doors for you, which would be open or take you away, from the really effective treatments, as you treat an Asperger differently to a shy person, or someone with ADHD or someone depressed. Thus a diagnosis has the advantage of getting the right treatment and maybe also DSA and other help while in education. In the best case it also makes people more understanding. But as it is unlikely to get a diagnosis just like that, it is pretty normal to look around and inform yourself. And of course you cannot really know (or only you can know?) by yourself, if you are just not trying hard enough, or if there is really something holding you back. I mean, if someone wants and can't , then why don't search for an answer and seek treatment?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by DavidRoberts)
    He didn't say any such thing in the first post. Try actually knowing what you are talking about before replying to people.

Autism and ADHD are also conditions people self-diagnose themselves with nowadays because it's fashionable to say you have it instead of acknowledge you just have poor social skills.

Try not to be such an uptight, ignorant ******** when commenting on people's posts.

Thanks
    It's not just social skills. Bearing in mind a friend of mine (who has Aspergers himself) claimed I have it because of my obsessive behaviour towards him and a few other bits. And then there's the behaviour and need for routines. My brother got his diagnosis because of his behaviour and not his lack of social skills. I have a friend whose son has Autistic traits (not enough for a diagnosis) - not just due to his supposed poor social skills. (He's partially sighted and deaf and has developmental delay too) I remember his mother writing on Facebook that she's got a baby who doesn't do routine and her 3 year old who needs routine.

I'm sure a friend of mine would be glad if 5 of her 6 Autistic children just have poor social skills. Her 3 year has less speech than her non-Autistic 13 month old.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

Why does everyone with personality flaws have Asperger syndrome or Autism or ADHD or some other medical problem?

Whatever happened to people just having poor social skills? Now everyone has a medical condition and is a victim.
    Um, his thread title is "I have Aspergers" and he clearly states he was diagnosed at 13, later on in the thread.

I don't get your point at all.

ReputationRep:
    did not intend a full out argument to break out?

Only wanted suggestions about whether or not I should inform others about it before they suss it out themselves

ReputationRep:

I have Asperger Syndrome and I am inclined to agree with this. I'm twenty-six and working on a PhD, but have a support worker to help me with independent living, as I have problems with a lot of things that others would consider basic (interacting with the guy selling train tickets, for example). I do understand that not all autistic people are diagnosed as children, especially those who are academically capable - there is a stereotype (thankfully growing weaker now) that it's impossible to have a developmental disability and be very capable in other ways. There is also a spectrum of severity. Some people with AS need help to live independently, as I do; others don't. But it does seem to be growing quite popular as a self-diagnosis, and this is frustrating. It's not just about poor social skills. They are poor in very specific ways, and there are other traits that must also be present. This is what people miss.

Also, people with AS can and do have friendships, even though they might be more difficult to form. I have quite a lot of friends now, all of whom are very supportive and understanding of my difficulties. I'm not able to join them at noisy birthday parties or anything like that, but they understand why, and I'm far from isolated. I don't consider my AS to be a 'personality flaw', or myself to be a victim. It's just the way I think, that's all.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I can understand that it would be very frustrating to be in that situation. To be honest I've never met anybody who claimed to have ADHD or AS etc that didn't seem like they genuinely had it.
    I have. He claims he has AS because he's good at maths. :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Well then he's clearly being stupid. But please know that not everyone who has 'self-diagnosed' is like that .
    I know. Before I got my diagnosis, someone did tell me I don't have it. Ok then, let's ignore the fact that an Autistic friend claims I have it; (at the time, we'd known each other for several years) as does my sister who at the time was in her second year of doing a psychology degree.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Right now, I think having Asperger's sucks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ow, I don't kno how to help you as I am not psychologist.

ReputationRep:
    Why? .
    Just had a really stressful day

ReputationRep:
    I understand that some days are stressful, but try not to think "oh it sucks to have Asperger's!" because it doesn't. Life would be a hell of a lot easier without it, yes, but without it you wouldn't be who you are right now and if you are happy with who you are then you should be thanking Asperger's for helping you be that person .

That is literally the soppiest thing I've ever written, but it's true .
    That be true, wish it was easier to remember that though.

Not easy when someone you know who has Aspergers tried to commit suicide last year

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine that it would be difficult to remember that, but it makes it all the more important that you do remember it . And make sure your friend remembers it too! .
    I will but I haven't heard from him since ...well you know. He dropped out of Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrx123)
    Just had a really stressful day
    I have stressful days all the time these days
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I understand that some days are stressful, but try not to think "oh it sucks to have Asperger's!" because it doesn't.
    Oh trust me, it does. Especially when you're a female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Oh trust me, it does. Especially when you're a female.
    Why especially when you're a female?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Bassetts)
    Why especially when you're a female?
    Because no-one believes you. I get the impression that some people only think that men can have Autism. Many females hide it, because we have no choice.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Those things alone don't constitute an Asperger's diagnosis. Asperger's is due to a difference in brain function, what you described is possibly typical of quite a few other disorders or possibly just shyness. Don't go around telling people you have some condition unless you're sure you actually have it.
    Except, he was diagnosed at 13.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.