Women (76)
55.07%
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MJ1012)
<br />
<br />
you don't think men have to deal with the same thing? You are on TSR a lot, how many threads have you seen about guys insecure about their looks due to social pressures. Both genders want to look perfect. Open your eyes next time your in a shopping centre and look at the male models, hollister bags, magazines etc.
Yeah, but nobody actually expects men to look like that.

(Original post by Rational Thinker)
That's not even true.
Tis :erm:
Rational Thinker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maid Marian)
Yeah, but nobody actually expects men to look like that.

No its not, it is a blatant lie. There are plenty of advertisements that objectify and denigrate them but we do not hear about that from the cackling hordes who screeched for page 3 to be banned. I do not even like The Sun and I found that an assault against press freedom.
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, but nobody actually <i>expects</i> men to look like that. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Now you're just being silly. You just seem to want to hate men.
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
No its not, it is a blatant lie. There are plenty of advertisements that objectify and denigrate them but we do not hear about that from the cackling hordes who screeched for page 3 to be banned. I do not even like The Sun and I found that an assault against press freedom.
:erm:
Look, the way I see it is that for men, it's an *ideal* for them to look like, whereas for women, it's what they *have* to look like (and they won't be accepted if they don't look like that).
I'm saying this from my experiences of life.

(Original post by MJ1012)
<br />
<br />
Now you're just being silly. You just seem to want to hate men.
:lolwut: I don't hate men at all! If anything, I hate women. I think it's the women who put all the pressure on each other to look a certain way.
MJ1012
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:erm:<br />
Look, the way I see it is that for men, it's an *ideal* for them to look like, whereas for women, it's what they *have* to look like (and they won't be accepted if they don't look like that).<br />
I'm saying this from my experiences of life.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
:lolwut: I don't hate men at all! If anything, I hate women. I think it's the women who put all the pressure on each other to look a certain way.
<br />
<br />
Your flat out refusal to believe men can suffer the same as women is just sexist
AristoBrat!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both are 'privileged'. I for one, am grateful for being born now, in the era of technology and convenience and not in the early ages where the majority had a tough life.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=Maid Marian;45191650]:erm:
Look, the way I see it is that for men, it's an *ideal* for them to look like, whereas for women, it's what they *have* to look like (and they won't be accepted if they don't look like that).
I'm saying this from my experiences of life.

I don't see that correlation at all. The same expectations are fostered as much on men as on women. That being said I think this thread is created to be divisive between males and females.
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't see that correlation at all. The same expectations are fostered as much on men as on women.
Who do think is responsible for those expectations?

How do you think we should address these issues?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=PQ;45192078]

Who do think is responsible for those expectations?

How do you think we should address these issues?
Mainly advertising and the general media as for how to address these issues.*

*Joking
I think there are some groups which divide people as well, radical feminism comes to mind. http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...30-174547.html http://bcove.me/nghv213p
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mainly advertising and the general media as for how to address these issues.

I think there are some groups which divide people as well, radical feminism comes to mind.
Sorry I'm not able to view your linked video.

I'm confused by your answer - I'm not sure I understand how you get from "advertising and general media" causing the problems you want addressing to your proposed solution (which appears to be attacking a small branch of feminism (one that I have little time for personally due to their attitude towards trans* people and sex workers)).

Surely the solution should be about targeting advertisers - addressing objectification of anyone in the media, engaging with organisations like the press complaints commission and advertising standards as well as raising awareness among young men and boys (and young women and girls) about how unrealistic (and ultimately pointless) these expectations are. Address the problem at source and at the point where it does the most harm to minimise the impact?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Sorry I'm not able to view your linked video.

I'm confused by your answer - I'm not sure I understand how you get from "advertising and general media" causing the problems you want addressing to your proposed solution (which appears to be attacking a small branch of feminism (one that I have little time for personally due to their attitude towards trans* people and sex workers)).

Surely the solution should be about targeting advertisers - addressing objectification of anyone in the media, engaging with organisations like the press complaints commission and advertising standards as well as raising awareness among young men and boys (and young women and girls) about how unrealistic (and ultimately pointless) these expectations are. Address the problem at source and at the point where it does the most harm to minimise the impact?
I was not saying the two were interlinked but instead mutually problematic but desperate. Both advertisers and extremists should be criticised.
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Limebuddhist)
-under represented in many jobs, for example women's sport is highly underrated compared to men's
It's not underrated, they're just absolute *******s at it. Women's football is horrific for example and I can legitimately bowl faster and (it seems) at a better line and length than most female fast bowlers.
Pastaferian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rad_student)
2005 data there showed boys are equally raped as girls, with 40% of abusers being female http://menaregood.com/wordpress
Interesting article - there is no doubt that that boys are more likely to suffer sexual abuse than most people realise, that this needs to be more widely recognised, and that every case should be taken just as seriously as for cases with female victims.

However, I think US figures are not particularly helpful in discussions on a UK forum - UK men and women will (quite rightly) find them totally unrecognisable. Here, around 21% of girls and 11% of boys experience some form of child sexual abuse; 23% of women and 3% of men experience sexual assault as an adult; and 5% of women and 0.4% of men experience rape. [...] Most perpetrators are male and most victims are female. The figures are from http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documen...ce-action-plan. Ministry of Justice figures also confirm that for victims aged 16+, the overwhelming majority are women (see official MOJ graph republished in this link) http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...istics-graphic

And in the USA, there is a lot of research which comes up with figures that are significantly different to the ones you referenced. For example, more recent figures for Massachusetts (as reported in 2011) suggest that men account for 93% of abusers and boys account for 8.9% of the cases of sexual abuse, although there was no attempt to categorise by severity... http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/progr...ugust-2011.pdf

But stats from foreign countries do little to inform such debates in the UK, IMO. The biggest problem in interpreting them is that their definitions are often different (sometimes bizarrely different). For example, to avoid using different definitions for each gender, the CDC would classify a drunken blowjob as a sexual assault, whereas few UK citizens (and no one I've asked) would recognise that definition.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pandabird)
I do reply to posts. I'm not repeating myself to you Mezzil if you can't remember look back through your history.

I think you've misinterpreted literal and non-literal speech, I wasn't trying to force you to remove your avatar I was just insinuating that it's hypocritical of you because of your post content.

Wakey wakey, I have a much less distorted opinion of feminism than your dear, dear self.
You need to ****ing wake up. You are nothing more than a drone, used and abused by the elite. I am not your ****ing enemy.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the mezzil)
You need to ****ing wake up. You are nothing more than a drone, used and abused by the elite. I am not your ****ing enemy.
I'd love to be used and abused by the elite :sexface: Kinky.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd love to be used and abused by the elite :sexface: Kinky.
Everyone does, you are all drones, not just you or the feminists, humans in general, me included. The feminists are not your friend, they are not my friend. They want nothing more than to control you and how you think. I believe in equality between black, white man, woman, childen even ****ing animals, I don't need to follow a ideology to make that clear.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the mezzil)
Everyone does, you are all drones, not just you or the feminists, humans in general, me included. The feminists are not your friend, they are not my friend. They want nothing more than to control you and how you think. I believe in equality between black, white man, woman, childen even ****ing animals, I don't need to follow a ideology to make that clear.
I don't define myself as a feminist, TSR has defined me as one and I've come to accept it, grown quite comfortable with it really.
Of course we're all drones.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Misogynistic posts aren't even worth replying to. Because the majority of you are only little geeks with barely any consequence.

Is this the most sexist comment I've seen on this site? Probably yes. :lol:
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't define myself as a feminist, TSR has defined me as one and I've come to accept it, grown quite comfortable with it really.
Of course we're all drones.
No TSR does not, you choose to define yourself as a feminist.
pandabird
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
Is this the most sexist comment I've seen on this site? Probably yes. :lol:
How the hell is that sexist? Geeks aren't confined to the male gender.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads