Dropped Out of University Watch

rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
In the morning the journey could vary from 20 minutes to 45 minutes whereas it would take much longer to get home because of traffic.

I can assure anyone that I won't be going back to uni as I hated it from day one. The commuting didn't bother me too much and I felt staying in halls was a waste of money as I already lived in the same city and had everything I needed at home.
i love how u are confident enough to put you dropping out on ur profile! I dropped out a few times and i'm too ashamed of it to put it up on my profile or tell anyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nfergs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
i love how u are confident enough to put you dropping out on ur profile! I dropped out a few times and i'm too ashamed of it to put it up on my profile or tell anyone!
I didn't want to tell anyone at first as I thought people would look down on me but now I don't really care. The only time I don't mention it is during job interviews as some employers may see it as a negative thing.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nfergs)
I didn't want to tell anyone at first as I thought people would look down on me but now I don't really care. The only time I don't mention it is during job interviews as some employers may see it as a negative thing.
I'm glad you're over it. I'm still living with the shame and guilt after 8 years! . Getting therapy and all that to help get over these demons
Welshrobbo93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am nearing the end of my second year of University. I have struggled greatly this year, not through being unable to grasp the work, but through having no interest in the modules any more. I feel like my passion for logistics has dried up. I have also developed a mild social anxiety order, which makes university that little bit less thrilling for me. I really don't want to stay, but I feel as though I would have wasted two years of my life. University isn't for everyone, I know that now, it has broken me, I sometimes forget how it feels to smile haha.
Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dropped out back in 2009 because I didn't live in halls and became seriously ill at the beginning of the year, I didn't have the confidence or social network to get back in to it. I did regret it a bit at the time but looking back I think i wasn't confident enough in general and had social anxiety issues that would of prevented me ever finishing. I moved to Spain for a year to build my confidence up but then when I came back the job market was dire, I could only find low paid work and the realisation that this might be for the rest of my life spurred me on to go back to uni.
I don't regret dropping out now (although I regret the 8k in loans) because it wasn't the right time and I wasn't in the right head space, now I'm even going on to do a masters so I must like it!

I haven't read all the posts so am unaware of your specific situation but some degrees aren't much use and if you're not happy and don't think you'll ever be happy on that path, what's the point? However if you don't have an alternative idea of how to be happy it might be tricky, good luck!
Welshrobbo93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Georgie_M)
I dropped out back in 2009 because I didn't live in halls and became seriously ill at the beginning of the year, I didn't have the confidence or social network to get back in to it. I did regret it a bit at the time but looking back I think i wasn't confident enough in general and had social anxiety issues that would of prevented me ever finishing. I moved to Spain for a year to build my confidence up but then when I came back the job market was dire, I could only find low paid work and the realisation that this might be for the rest of my life spurred me on to go back to uni.
I don't regret dropping out now (although I regret the 8k in loans) because it wasn't the right time and I wasn't in the right head space, now I'm even going on to do a masters so I must like it!

I haven't read all the posts so am unaware of your specific situation but some degrees aren't much use and if you're not happy and don't think you'll ever be happy on that path, what's the point? However if you don't have an alternative idea of how to be happy it might be tricky, good luck!
Thank-you for the response. My problem is that I never share my problems, I feel like I am weak if I do so, I usually just deal with it and try and fix it myself. I need to have a long hard think. Just wish I did a slightly less complex course (logistics and supply chain management). Similarly to what you said about going to Spain, I was thinking of going away for a bit in summer on my own, in the hope that I can build some self confidence, and hopefully learn more about who I am. Ultimately I need to get my priorities right, and work out what I want in life/ a career.
Thank-you for the good luck wishes, all the best to yourself, too.
Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Welshrobbo93)
Thank-you for the response. My problem is that I never share my problems, I feel like I am weak if I do so, I usually just deal with it and try and fix it myself. I need to have a long hard think. Just wish I did a slightly less complex course (logistics and supply chain management). Similarly to what you said about going to Spain, I was thinking of going away for a bit in summer on my own, in the hope that I can build some self confidence, and hopefully learn more about who I am. Ultimately I need to get my priorities right, and work out what I want in life/ a career.
Thank-you for the good luck wishes, all the best to yourself, too.
I think travelling is a great idea, I had to step outside of my comfort zone in a massive way and force myself to do it but it does help your confidence to grow immeasurably when you do that so I would says it is totally worth it for self-development.
hass147
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm 21 now and I'm still in my first year of a Computer Science degree at the University of Sussex. The story so far still baffles me.

When I was 18 in September 2010, I knew my AS results were so bad that there's no way I'm getting A's and B's or even C's to get into good Universities. I eventually applied for a foundation year instead, my only route to University and to avoid £9K fees. A huge problem of mine has always been that I don't have much interest in many academic fields and have never been prolific at studying.

When I turned 19 in September 2011, after an awful set of A-Level results, I took up a Computing and Mathematical Foundation year at Kingston Uni (officially leaving me one year behind my former classmates). While "studying" for this foundation year (can't even believe they can call that course a qualification), I applied via UCAS to Sussex and Oxford Brookes to study Computer Science. I got offers from both. Getting into a top ten Uni was beyond my wildest imaginations with the way A-Levels panned out.

In September 2012, aged 20, I moved out of East London to live in the residences of Sussex to study Computer Science. I flopped my first year hard, didn't even have excuses like going out too much, I just couldn't keep up and couldn't understand things fast enough.

I decided in summer 2013 that I want to invoke my repeat year clause. I wanted to change degrees to something I'm passionate about, but because I only had a Computing and Maths foundation year I couldn't do so. So I stuck to this course and tried to take a much bigger interest in it. I sat all my resits, didn't pass enough modules (even if I did I would have repeated), then requested an automatic repeat year.

I go into the repeat year with an aim of becoming a solid Computer Science university student, attend lectures, pass all my modules, become fully prepared for second year and live the social life I know I'm capable of living.

January 2014, I pass 3/4 module exams. At this point it's been successful. Now however, I have four courseworks due by the 17th of April, I will probably only manage to do 1/2 of them. My academic aims for the year don't feel satisfied, I feel as if the end of my pursuit for some tangible success is almost over.

I can survive this first year, which will probably be shamefully via retakes. But it's inevitable that I'm not going to survive this difficult a degree much less get a 2:1 or a first. I am looking for a life after University now. Just don't know where to look.
yeahImAustralian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm about to drop out, in my second year at the Australian National University (the top in my country). Honestly, I just lost all passion for university life, theres nothing interesting and I want to leave and come back in a year or two, otherwise a different university. It's really stressful but I just told my parents about it, one was happy, the other is angry about it.

It makes me feel better that there are other people in the same situations in "prestigious" universities such as Oxford and Cambridge, because honestly all the pressure that built up on such things has been my downfall. I just want to take a year off, get my head straight, and re-enrol in a more local university, where it's not so academically focused. I just don't click with the teaching style, or the lifestyle, it's totally foreign to me. I was raised in a country town, and now I live on campus with the "elite", I just honestly don't like the stress and lifestlyle.

So yeah, It's going to be stressful as all hell, but good luck to those who dropped out We can always go back in the future
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dropped out for health reasons several times and am seriously thinking of going back, a good education system shouldn't be taken for granted and if you can go back, you should.
mollyhodgen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here's my advice for drop-outs!

http://mollyhodgen.blogspot.co.uk/20...niversity.html
a729
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IAmAStegosaurus)
Hey, I dropped out of university last year after just 2 months. I was studying English and Philosophy at Nottingham Uni and was absolutely hating it! I had a few 'friends' but we didn't really click and the course had the most ridiculously enormous workload imaginable. I was also 4 1/2 hours from home which was awful because I couldn't pop home for a break when I needed to. The campus was pleasant but soooo dull... it was so vast that I didn't feel that exciting student buzz I thought I would. There was just this cold and empty atmosphere. I knew it was all wrong and decided to drop out. I spent the year working briefly as a waitress (that also failed horribly!) and then in a wildlife park, which was much better suited to me! I also went to Italy for a week with a friend which was great.

I've started again this year at a different uni, much closer to home, doing just Philosophy, and it's a city uni rather than a campus uni. I am having a MUCH better experience. The workload is far more manageable and I have plenty of time for extracurricular activities and exploring the city (London). My family are an hour away by train which is heaps better, I have some pretty good friends (though I got very unlucky with an extremely unsociable flat!) and I'm enjoying the course. The uni has a great student atmosphere and feels much better suited to me. Don't regret your decision; I spent every day in a state of despair at Nottingham and life's too short to be lived like that. I think it's great you've taken action rather than just suffered through it.
Nottingham is terrible compared to London
blu95
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sue-Per

Here's a gold sticker!

...I hate my life
a729
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thursdayschild)
I'm so glad I found this thread and people in the same situation! I'm currently at uni in my first year, and hating it. I don't like the course, the tutors or the people, due to a mess up on the universities part, I'm in accommodation far away from the university. I'm in a massive city (London, over 5 hours on the train from home) and have had the worst few months that have really affected my mental and physical health and my coursework has been terrible, not like me at all, so I think I'm going to withdraw this week, and apply for another uni to start again in September! My family are keen for me to do it because I'm so unhappy but I guess I'm just kinda worried about going home and having to tell everyone that I dropped out and also being a year older than everyone when I start again.
I'm a Londoner and hate being away from the big city and the Victoria line!
mjj22
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by blu95)
Sue-Per

Here's a gold sticker!

...I hate my life
Gee thanks Now get over it
Studentmum18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have just read this and cried my eyes out. My lovely intelligent son is on the brink of a breakdown at uni and I am worried sick about him. I feel he should leave, but he doesn't want to be considered a failure and what will he do if he does leave, I just want him to be happy. The pressure on young people today is immense
Temporality
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Studentmum18)
Have just read this and cried my eyes out. My lovely intelligent son is on the brink of a breakdown at uni and I am worried sick about him. I feel he should leave, but he doesn't want to be considered a failure and what will he do if he does leave, I just want him to be happy. The pressure on young people today is immense
How far in is he?
The pressue is always immense on everyone really, it's just a lot harder to deal with for the more sensitive or those prone to mental health issues.
Studentmum18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Temporality)
How far in is he?
The pressue is always immense on everyone really, it's just a lot harder to deal with for the more sensitive or those prone to mental health issues.
Finished 1st year, only managed about 1/2 of second year. His tutor has told him he can repeat 2nd year, but he is so depressed I don't see the point. He says he would like to change his course, but I don't know how I would fund that. I don't think he would get student finance a second time.
Temporality
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Studentmum18)
Finished 1st year, only managed about 1/2 of second year. His tutor has told him he can repeat 2nd year, but he is so depressed I don't see the point. He says he would like to change his course, but I don't know how I would fund that. I don't think he would get student finance a second time.
Ah sorry to hear this, I know how hard it can be. I dropped out of university in my second year for similar reasons - clinical depression and hated my course. I had been seeing a doctor at the student health service ever since I started my course and had previous doctors notes from before university so I was basically able to get my doctor at the student health service to fill out some forms for me and suspend my studies about a term into my second year. After that the university left me the option of going back into the second year the next September but my depression was so bad and I hated the prospect of moving away and doing the same course so much I decided not to. I stayed at home, worked, did some courses and reapplied to university - now I have a place to enter a new course this September. I already have about 10k worth of debt from my first and second year at university but when I apply for student finance now they will give me a loan for 3 years for two reasons. Firstly every student is entitled to funding for their first degree (typically 3 years long) and that includes one repetition year should the student fail or something go wrong, so essentially thats 4 years of loans. So the first year I did comes under that 'repetition' year. Also I started my 2nd year like your son has but the fact I dropped out mid-year comes under a drop-out for medical reasons which means Student Finance England are obliged to disregard the fees given for that half-year and still give me fees. Hope this makes sense. My parents are not particularly well off, it's an average household but I am choosing to remain at home and commute to university this September which will save money as no need for a maintenance loan - this is another thing you may wish to consider.
Studentmum18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for your reply. It's good to hear from someone who knows how it feels. Am trying to persuade him to get help for his depression (diagnosed by uni) but he is too low to help himself at the mo. Not answering my calls this evening, worrying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed