Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if you think of in a way that its all relative and juts because 4 or so people call you ugly actually means nothing because there is no such thing as objective ugliness. a couple of peoples opinions do not reflect the whole world and does not make you objectively ugly.

besides there are many important things in this world and shallow physical beauty is not one of them despite what is shoved down our throats by todays culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeon439)
    But you are the one being negative; the rest of us are offering support

Why not start a thread about something you prefer to discuss?

I think it's wrong to try and tell a person who is suffering to effectively shut up

I like listening to peoples' problems so you speak for yourself as regards finding it depressing

These boards function as a source of support for people so I fail to see what your problem is with this being a supportive environment

What harm is it doing you??
    I see you are new here. Threads like this get posted by the same people multiple times. I don't mind hearing people's problems but this is not something anyone in here can solve. No one on here can make the OP feel better about herself and that includes you. She needs to build her self esteem herself. She is measuring her self worth based on what people around her say which is stupid. The ugly threads should all be merged together for anyone else who feel ugly to look. The advice is always the same yet the 'I'm so ugly' keep threads never end. If you are not happy with what I said ignore it and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    I see you are new here. Threads like this get posted by the same people multiple times. I don't mind hearing people's problems but this is not something anyone in here can solve. No one on here can make the OP feel better about herself and that includes you. She needs to build her self esteem herself. She is measuring her self worth based on what people around her say which is stupid. The ugly threads should all be merged together for anyone else who feel ugly to look. The advice is always the same yet the 'I'm so ugly' keep threads never end. If you are not happy with what I said ignore it and move on.
    But the same could be said about the 'I can't find a partner' threads and the
    'I'm still a virgin threads' - some topics are going to be common as they are things that cause a lot of people problems on an ongoing basis

The person often doesn't even want a solution; they want people to listen and be understanding and offer sympathy a lot of the time

Perhaps you're right and there should be a separate 'Body image problems'
    forum where threads of this type can reside but to say they should not keep occurring is a bit unrealistic

It's like telling a person to stop being bullied when they have no control over the way other people are treating them; they need some support to help them handle their situation

In my opinion it's comforting to see threads about problems that I have been through or go through myself - it means I can identify with the person and let them know I've experienced the situation as well and it helps people to feel less alone

You have a different style of relating to the world and coping with problems so you don't relate to this type of thread but it takes all sorts to make a world, so surely a little more tolerance of peoples' different ways of coping wouldn't go amiss?

ReputationRep:
    you're definitely not ugly

ReputationRep:
    You have a bf. I'd rather be ugly and have a gf. Rather than have the finest-looking body and face (plus humongous penis) without a gf to use it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Right can we please stop the arguing and name calling, otherwise this thread will get locked, thanks.
    Hey why was one of my comments deleted?

Hi guys, OP here.

I posted this thread because I was at a very low point and needed somewhere to vent a bit. I have suffered from depression twice and I think it's back for a third time. This thread is part of a bigger problem, but I'm going to try and go to the doctor on Friday.

ReputationRep:
    not many people are physically beautiful

just go on a matchmaking site, you'll soon see there are plenty of people who would be attracted to you

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, I like your twitter background...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...es/%5E_%5E.gif

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    is "ikr" english for something, or do you have a problem with your spelling too?:rolleyes:

you have more problems than the OP
    Grammar nazi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TalkingLion)
    If it helps, I like your twitter background...http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/imag...es/%5E_%5E.gif
    Why would that help..it's not her face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys, OP here.

I posted this thread because I was at a very low point and needed somewhere to vent a bit. I have suffered from depression twice and I think it's back for a third time. This thread is part of a bigger problem, but I'm going to try and go to the doctor on Friday.
    I get depression too and have to take anti-depressants permanently as whenever I come off them I go downhill. It's good that you're seeing your
    GP as it's better to start any medication if you need it sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeon439)
    I care so less of the collective 'we' if you don't mind
    shut up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    Man up. You've got a bf so you can't be that ugly..
    *Woman up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holasenorita1)
    shut up
    yes it's a great pity the negative rep thing has gone - your score would be off the scale!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xscape)
    *Woman up
    Nah man up. Man up is the general term imo for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, today I was actually looking around at people's faces, looking for ugly people (I appologize for my behaviour) but I did not find a single person who I though had an ugly face. All people had there bad and good features but I haven't seen a single person who was ugly. Moreover, the decision whether you are ugly or not is not yours. I can't believe that you've met such people who said that but all people have their own problems and not everyone can control their emotions and a lot of human beings exadurate what they mean immensely. I've probably never seen you, so I cannot tell you whether you are ugly or not but I do strongly believe that a person cannot be ugly in terms of features. In my preception, an ugly person is the person who has the power to control themselves and understands the consequence of their behaviour but they do things which cause others to suffer. If your bf tells you that you are pretty, you cannot tell him that he must think that you are not just because you don't like your reflection. it is HIS opinion. He likes you for who you are. You've been together for 4 years! That is amazing! For a lot of 'very pretty girls' relationships last for like a week or a month if they are lucky. 'Pretty' girls rarely have bf's who like them for their inside and not their outside. You are lucky you've got someone who loves you. Enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    OMG! Girl! You have a boyfriend who thinks that you gorgeous! What else do you need? Any other opinion shouldn't matter to you! Stop complaining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    If you're so determined that you're ugly, what was the point in making such a thread?
    It really annoys me when people keep moaning on about how ugly they look, and blankly refuse to believe any advice anyone offers.
    Kind of like that Maid Marian girl.
    YOU are my girl
    I was going to post almost the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If you all insist on photos...

www.twitter.com/snowyowl91.

My boyfriend follows me and he insisted I put photos up because he likes them. So there.

I don't know what this thread is for really, I just needed to vent before I did something stupid.
    Honey, tell me one thing ugly about you....

i mean, you look so pretty.
    those eyes, hair, smile, figure and not to forget your complexion....it's all just BEAUTIFUL.
    and consider yourself lucky, having a boyfriend since the last 4 years.
    There are girls who crave for the features you have, want sincere boyfriends like you have.
    And if someone called you names, forget it, it's just them being envious or hurting you on purpose or maybe you misunderstood them.
    Just forget it and try to gain Self esteem and confidence...
    you look great!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.