Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha brah)
    He did - do you want me to screenshot the post report? :rofl: I reported it and the post got deleted, btw. Not only racist but also a liar! Such a quality person. Really, 10/10 for being someone of value. *le sarcasm*
    Rofl
    learn how to spell sarcasm in French....

It's 'Le sarcame' and not 'le sarcasm'.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I'm not saying nobody can speak languages, but the amount of funding and attention paid to it at school is really low. Nobody took German for Advanced Higher at my school, including me, I'm sad to say, I needed my sciences. But heaps of people didn't even take it past second year, they just quit when they were about 13.
    A language is a social tool and being locked up in your room studying it is, useless.The only way to learn a language fluentely is to talk to the native speakers and learn from them.

ReputationRep:
    All these posts and only a few have pointed out - this is a university in London! Which is where most of the international students go. Having spoken to quite a few international kids at my school here in the US, the majority know Oxbridge, and then UCL, KCL, ICL and LSE. In some cases perhaps St. Andrews and Edinburgh. Looking at the OP's profile, she is doing a law degree at KCL. Law is always one of the most popular degrees with international students, especially at a place in London.

The "eighth" of students out of the 300 or so (this is from OP's judgement so could really be anywhere from 30-60 people) is a complete misrepresentation of the demographics of university-goers in the UK. I guarantee, any university outside of London, barring Oxbridge and a few others, would have very few international students in comparison.

I'm amazed that very few people, among the "hurr-durr omg racist" and "ughhh foreigners" crew, realised this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    How is it bull? If you wanted to study in Germany or China or something, wouldn't you appreciate some sort of "foundation year" in order to make sure your language standards were appropriate?
    While I understand this, it's in the Unis best intrest to get as many foreign people as possible... Three years for 9K each... or four years at 13K... it doesn't take a genius what Uni's will do at a financial level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deehee)
    Everyone in a British university is British.

If you live in Britain you are British.
    Erm... So if I move to Australia for a year, for that year I'm Australian?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha brah)
    This. And the guy you just quoted posted on another thread that "Indian girls have BO and smell of curry" - hardly one to define what constitutes racism. :rolleyes:

Ah well, the BNP needs a few supporters eh?
    Oh so just because i said that i will never be attracted to an Indian girl make me a racist......

Just because I said that I prefer white womans and I will never date an Indian girl because i think that they are the most unattractive race.lol

It's my opinion that does not make me a racist we all have different taste ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babylotion)
    Erm... So if I move to Australia for a year, for that year I'm Australian?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly man they do not understand the difference between British English or 'English' and British

Example(no racism intended)
    You are à British citizen, you are British.
    English ??...probably not.

You can also claim to be British as you were born and raised in England, but English is not a nationality, British is. If you are a citizen of India then you can say with confidence that you are Indian. If not a citizen, then it's probably more accurate to describe yourself as being of British of Indian descent.

As you or your parents come from India for you to say you are English would be an insult (just the same as if I were to call you a wog or Paki (no racism intended)), I understand why you consider such words offencive therefore you must understand that trying to steal our identity is just as offencive to the English.

As within Britain I identify myself as English rather than British - I don't relate to Scots or Welsh the way I relate to the English. But then I don't have anything against non-English Britons.

English = born and bred in England.
    British = Could be either English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish or someone who holds a British passport through entitlement.

I am a native British English .

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the money honey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le-JokerFr)
    The problem is once they finished studying,is that they stay here to live/work illegaly
    So these foreigners go to decent universities, get a degree and then stay in order to legally work in a takeaway for £3 an hour?

Not likely. Sure, some will come in on student visas but they aren't going to be going to the good universities and paying £45,0000 for a degree lol, that would be idiotic.

There will always be some that find cheap courses, or even fake ones in order to get visas - or those that stay afterwards because they can't think of anything else to do. To stop students coming in though would be a terribly bad idea given how much hard cash they bring to our education system...

For every illegal there are probably a good number of students that left/stayed legally that are contributing hundreds of thousand of pounds to the economy thanks to tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    Who goes to uni in London? LOL
    LOL yeah imperial LSE and UCL such bad unis LOOOL they're like bottom of league tables LOL

Shut up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    So these foreigners go to decent universities, get a degree and then stay in order to legally work in a takeaway for £3 an hour?

Not likely. Sure, some will come in on student visas but they aren't going to be going to the good universities and paying £45,0000 for a degree lol, that would be idiotic.

There will always be some that find cheap courses, or even fake ones in order to get visas - or those that stay afterwards because they can't think of anything else to do. To stop students coming in though would be a terribly bad idea given how much hard cash they bring to our education system...

For every illegal there are probably a good number of students that left/stayed legally that are contributing hundreds of thousand of pounds to the economy thanks to tuition fees.
    I never said all of them are like that
    I agree with what you have said

ReputationRep:
    As within Britain I identify myself as English rather than British - I don't relate to Scots or Welsh the way I relate to the English. But then I don't have anything against non-English Britons.
    I relate more to the Scots and the Welsh than people in the south of England (being from the North)...

I've you've lived in Britain for the majority of your life and think of yourself as British your're British in my eyes.

I don't care what generation immigrant, or what country you were born in - you grow up or live somewhere long enough you consider yourself a part of the people there then you are.

ReputationRep:
    I relate more to the Scots and the Welsh than people in the south of England (being from the North)...

I've you've lived in Britain for the majority of your life and think of yourself as British your're British in my eyes.

I don't care what generation immigrant, or what country you were born in - you grow up or live somewhere long enough you consider yourself a part of the people there then you are.
    No this is just wrong.....
    Face the truth

ReputationRep:
    A language is a social tool and being locked up in your room studying it is, useless.The only way to learn a language fluentely is to talk to the native speakers and learn from them.
    I never said anything about shutting yourself away Rapunzel-style to learn languages. I agree that speaking to native speakers is the best way, I learnt more staying with a friend in Germany for a month than I did learning it for 5 years at school. But the point is that in most British schools the attitude towards learning languages is very lazy because "Everyone speaks English". The importance of languages isn't stressed enough, and they aren't given enough time and attention in the timetable. Especially in primary schools. You barely learn a thing, even though that's the best time to be learning languages. At most schools. It's usually "Learn some verbs, watch this old video, tell me how many siblings you have, in German."

ReputationRep:
    No this is just wrong.....
    Face the truth
    (Assuming you are not refering to me not identifying with southerners)

What truth? There isn't a "definition" for this. There is no objective truth. You think it's whatever criteria you think, I think otherwise.

Personally, I believe that if someone has spent their whole life since the age of 3 in this country, doesn't speak any other language and cannot remember ever living anywhere else... is British.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly man they do not understand the difference between British English or 'English' and British

Example(no racism intended)
    You are à British citizen, you are British.
    English ??...probably not.

You can also claim to be British as you were born and raised in England, but English is not a nationality, British is. If you are a citizen of India then you can say with confidence that you are Indian. If not a citizen, then it's probably more accurate to describe yourself as being of British of Indian descent.

As you or your parents come from India for you to say you are English would be an insult (just the same as if I were to call you a wog or Paki (no racism intended)), I understand why you consider such words offencive therefore you must understand that trying to steal our identity is just as offencive to the English.

English = born and bred in England.
    British = Could be either English, Scottish, Welsh or N. Irish or someone who holds a British passport through entitlement.

I am a native British English .
    Scotland and Wales aren't alien countries, we're all part of the UK. There's as many differences between different counties in England as there are between England, Scotland and Wales.

Sooo, if someone was born in India, and had Indian parents, but had grown up in England since they were about, say, 6 months old, they would only be able to identify as Indian, and not call themselves British even though they might identify with the British culture? Rubbish. "Just because a man is born in a stable, doesn't make him a horse".

How is it insulting for someone to call themselves British just because they weren't born here? In what way?

ReputationRep:
    Scotland and Wales aren't alien countries, we're all part of the UK. There's as many differences between different counties in England as there are between England, Scotland and Wales.

Sooo, if someone was born in India, and had Indian parents, but had grown up in England since they were about, say, 6 months old, they would only be able to identify as Indian, and not call themselves British even though they might identify with the British culture? Rubbish. "Just because a man is born in a stable, doesn't make him a horse".

How is it insulting for someone to call themselves British just because they weren't born here? In what way?

Because you are trying to steal our 'identity'...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Assuming you are not refering to me not identifying with southerners)

What truth? There isn't a "definition" for this. There is no objective truth. You think it's whatever criteria you think, I think otherwise.

Personally, I believe that if someone has spent their whole life since the age of 3 in this country, doesn't speak any other language and cannot remember ever living anywhere else... is British.
    I think your nationality is up to you to define, same as religious or political beliefs. Having Catholic parents doesn't mean you have to identify as a Catholic even if you were brought up that way. I've been brought up in Scotland but was born in England and would mostly identify as English. Well, nowadays I call myself a mongrel/British because I don't really belong to either, but my accent is English, and that's what I call myself if people ask when I'm abroad, usually. Ethnicity is more fixed, but nationality is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Because you are trying to steal our 'identity'...:mad:
    Not if they grew up here! It's their identity too! If they identify with Britain more than anywhere else then how can they not identify as British? Why is that up to you?

ReputationRep:
    Not if they grew up here! It's their identity too! If they identify with Britain more than anywhere else then how can they not identify as British? Why is that up to you?
    They can call themself British or British of Indian decent,but no way they can be English or 'British English'

I'm not the only native British english persson that thinks like that most of us thinks like that

If I went to live in India ,there is no way I can call myself 'Indian'
    '..:mad:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.