The Student Room Group

It's going to get very cold, quite soon - are you prepared?

Scroll to see replies

I looove coming home from the cold outside. Then putting on an oversized hoodie and slipper socks, making tea and wrapping up in a blanket :awesome:

Winter is the best.
Original post by Yakob

I do, it is normal, it amazes me how the papers make it out like it is doomsday. I mean I bet it won't be half as bad as they say it will be.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If a single snowflake falls, all schools will immediately close.

This amounts to a national tradition now. However, there is always one holdout school (generally somewhere mad like mid-Wales or the Cairngorms) that insists on staying open, even though the kids have to be dug out from snowdrifts in the playground.

I go to that one holdout school, though we aren't in mid-Wales.
Original post by Octohedral
Man cannot live on milk, digestives and huskies alone.

I think you'll find huskies are pretty nutritious all by themselves. No need for milk and digestives.
Reply 104
Original post by Mr_Vain
Well, I just know that the Spetsnaz run training course in stuff like Survival and anti-terrorist tactics for normal citizens.

What, so they can defend themselves against Mr Putin?
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Don't want to burn my toes though. :tongue:

Could always do one of these then :smile:

Original post by Alfissti
Could always do one of these then :smile:

How clever! Practical Boat Building, take a bow.
I bought an extra warm hoodie yesterday. Bring it on :biggrin:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Temperatures are going to PLUNGE according to the media, from Monday and for several weeks. :afraid:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/17/scotland-snow-uk-weather

It will fall as low as 3 degrees in many areas and there may even be snow over northern hills. :excited:

Are you ready for this extreme weather?

Are you nonchalant? :flute: Will you be huddling up? :grouphugs:

Things you will need.

* Shovels, grit, warm gloves and warm coat

* Husky team - public transport generally halts after the first flurry of snow

* Extra supplies of milk and digestives :cookie:

* Large selection of DVDs - it will be impossible to leave home :couchpotato:

******* YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED *********

This was a TSR public service announcement. Do not engage in unnecessary panic. Engage in necessary panic.

Thanks for the PSA.

I'm a bit concerned as later this week I have to be in Aberdeen. Not so concerned about the snow more concerned over fog as that does affect take-offs and landings.

Other times, not too worried about public transport, have a Land Rover with good winter tyres :smile:

Shovel and grit? What for?

Digestive biscuits and milk?? Why?? Waitrose won't be closed.

Am actually looking forward to a cold winter, not had a chance to test out how good our new heating and insulation at home is.

Weather as a whole doesn't affect or bother me.

Huddle? Huddle up with who? :P
Man. I don't even want to think about what's going to happen to the bus service...

Then again, Lancaster being Lancaster, it will probably just rain and have a cold wind. The usual.

Original post by carnationlilyrose
I think you'll find huskies are pretty nutritious all by themselves. No need for milk and digestives.

:zomg:

:cry2:
Reply 110
It's yet to get below 21 C here :frown: Oh, how I envy you :tongue:
I'm planning on going to Harbin, in northeast China over my winter break where the average high in January is -12ºC and can even get as low as -24ºC!
Reply 112
It's not even cold...........
It's not winter.
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm planning on going to Harbin, in northeast China over my winter break where the average high in January is -12ºC and can even get as low as -24ºC!

Better start taking more Vit C supplements to boost your immune system :smile: That place is notorious for some of the nastiest flu bugs that time of the year.
Original post by Alfissti
Better start taking more Vit C supplements to boost your immune system :smile: That place is notorious for some of the nastiest flu bugs that time of the year.

Sounds even better! I'll just have to pack my suitcase full of oranges :tongue:
I hope my college doesn't close when it snows. :eek:
Reply 117
Original post by MagicNMedicine
we have to face the choice of EATING or HEATING the government

Let them go cold I say, all that shivering might tenderise them up before we eat the ****ers.
Original post by desdemonata

:zomg:

:cry2:
Especially the young ones, which are more tender. Of course, if you have a horse, you can hollow it out and shelter inside it, like Napoleon's armies in Russia.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Especially the young ones, which are more tender. Of course, if you have a horse, you can hollow it out and shelter inside it, like Napoleon's armies in Russia.

I suppose that's an ancient tradition. Hollow out a carcass for warmth and eat the meat.

Quick Reply

Latest