Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone,

Sorry things have been a bit quiet on our front. I've had an unintended break away from the computer screen (aka being ill !) Back now and working my way through your questions and comments today and tomorrow.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by MiriHam)
    Nah, not yet but the admissions tutor said that i should expect to hear from them soon Yeah i had to do one, they'll decide whether to take you for an interview based on your portfolio. Oh i see, have you done an online portfolio?

Hi

If I'm not too late offering this - if you are unsure about whether or not you need to send an e portfolio and when, get in touch with the course directly
    [email protected]

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Jennywbu)
    Hello Again,
    I have another question regarding accomodation, I am very confused about how rent and things are worked out for halls.
    The halls I have chosen to stay in costs 128 per week, and I am trying to work out how much of my loan/grant I will need to spend on halls per term/semester and basically I am trying to sort out my whole budget. I worked out I will be getting around 2400 per term and I am not sure how much of this I will need to spend on rent because tbh I am not very good at maths! I hope someone is, I am not sure how many weeks are in a term or if I have even worked it out right...
    Hope you can help

From Jen :cute:
    Hi Jen

The costs and lengths of contracts for different halls are listed here in a handy table ...
    http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodat...php?PageId=172

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    You'll be sent an email regarding applying for accommodation nearer the time - it won't be that long off if I recall correctly.

Don't forget there is also the option of student housing which many first years opt for instead of halls and not everybody that applies for accommodation is guaranteed it which means a rush to look for a house in August, the majority will get accommodation and those that don't, there will be other people looking for houses too so you can search together.
    Hi

I think the accommodation team are working to send these invitations very soon ( this week I think ...) which is earlier than previous years. Hopefully this will help make it easier for everyone! Either way, don't worry, you will get an invite very soon.

Best Wishes

Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by missti10)
    I've applied for Fashion with Business Studies but I have an interview for Fashion Marketing as they are starting it as a new course in 2014. I don't have to take a portfolio or anything!

Was also wondering if anyone else has been offered the chance to study Fashion Marketing? Anyone know anymore information on it as I'm preping for my interview but I can't really make it specific to Brighton without knowing much about the course
    Hi missti10

Can I check with you what the exact name of this course is and where it is running? I am not familiar with this one so I need some more info from you before I can give you any answers.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by 1education)
    Hi I'm going to be trending the applicant open day this Wednesday (19th) and will be travelling by train from London. I was wondering how far the Falmer campus is from the Falmer railway station and if it is difficult to find? Or will the university have a minibus of some kind that will pick up attendees of the open day an drop them off at the university? Would really appreciate a reply as I will be travelling by myself. Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

When you get off the train at Falmer you will be able to see the AMEX football stadium and the Falmer campus right next to the train station. It's well sign posted too, its a 5 min walk up the pathway to get into the middle of the campus. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by ohhello92x)
    Aw congrats
    My application for Brighton has been rejected

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry to hear that
    Nursing courses here are really competitive - I know we get thousands of applications for only dozens of places ... (see below)

I checked with a colleague who works with the nursing team - here is some info they gave me. Obviously I don't know about all your individual circumstances but you might find something useful in the following:

We are sorry to hear you were unsuccessful on this occasion, nursing is a very popular course and we receive thousands of applications so it can very competitive. If you would like to re-apply, we have a lot of information on the website which may helpful -http://www.brighton.ac.uk/snm/admiss...php?PageId=310 . You may also want to consider our foundation degree in Health and Social Care Practice http://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/st...-practice-fdsc or a relevant access course, however there is no guarantee that one of these alone will ensure a successful application. We also recommend that you try and gain some experience in a related role or where you can demonstrate transferable skills which would be beneficial to a nursing career. Understanding the role of a nurse and demonstrating your ability to meet the academic requirements of a nursing degree are key to a successful application. Hope this helps and good luck! J

I hope this helps - let me know if there is anything else.

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Brighton)
    I'm sorry to hear that
    Nursing courses here are really competitive - I know we get thousands of applications for only dozens of places ... (see below)

I checked with a colleague who works with the nursing team - here is some info they gave me. Obviously I don't know about all your individual circumstances but you might find something useful in the following:

We are sorry to hear you were unsuccessful on this occasion, nursing is a very popular course and we receive thousands of applications so it can very competitive. If you would like to re-apply, we have a lot of information on the website which may helpful -http://www.brighton.ac.uk/snm/admiss...php?PageId=310 . You may also want to consider our foundation degree in Health and Social Care Practice http://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/st...-practice-fdsc or a relevant access course, however there is no guarantee that one of these alone will ensure a successful application. We also recommend that you try and gain some experience in a related role or where you can demonstrate transferable skills which would be beneficial to a nursing career. Understanding the role of a nurse and demonstrating your ability to meet the academic requirements of a nursing degree are key to a successful application. Hope this helps and good luck! J

I hope this helps - let me know if there is anything else.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting to hear any news about my application. I applied back in November so the wait has been horrendous!
    I know that no news isn't always a bad thing, but it seems from reading on these forums that so many have been for interviews and have been offered places, it really makes the wait even worse
    Is anyone else still waiting to hear anything? Would be good to hear I'm not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to apply for accommodation and was wondering what the Firle House rooms look like. There are no pictures online.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tiaait)
    I'm wanting to apply for accommodation and was wondering what the Firle House rooms look like. There are no pictures online.
    Hi tiaait

I've requested some info on this - will share as soon as I have it.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kaymh80)
    Still waiting to hear any news about my application. I applied back in November so the wait has been horrendous!
    I know that no news isn't always a bad thing, but it seems from reading on these forums that so many have been for interviews and have been offered places, it really makes the wait even worse
    Is anyone else still waiting to hear anything? Would be good to hear I'm not the only one.
    Hi kaymh80

Sorry to hear you've had such a long wait, I know it's a stressful process.
    First off, offers are still being made - so not hearing doesn't automatically mean anything bad.
    To put your mind at rest, I would recommend getting in touch with our admissions team. Give them a call or email or use this form - details here https://www.brighton.ac.uk/prospecti...php?PageId=157
    They can check on the status of your application for you.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi tiaait

I've requested some info on this - will share as soon as I have it.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    UPDATE!

The bad news is that we've only got the images on the website at the moment. There will be some coming later but not just yet I am afraid.

What I can tell you is that Firle House opened in Oct 2013, so it is really new and modern and it is very similar in the look and decor to Woodland and Downland, which you can see online. The key difference is that the kitchen and lounge spaces are one bigger space in this building , instead of 2 separate rooms, which makes a nice social space. You would also have access to The Hub building (which I've been to and it's lovely - the food is great too!) These buildings are all on the same site and close together so easy to go between in a couple of mins (or less).

I hope this helps - if you've got any more questions the accommodation team will be happy to help. You can email them via [email protected]

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Hi kaymh80

Sorry to hear you've had such a long wait, I know it's a stressful process.
    First off, offers are still being made - so not hearing doesn't automatically mean anything bad.
    To put your mind at rest, I would recommend getting in touch with our admissions team. Give them a call or email or use this form - details here https://www.brighton.ac.uk/prospecti...php?PageId=157
    They can check on the status of your application for you.

Best Wishes
    Viv
    Thank you for your reply.
    I actually received an email last night asking me to confirm my qualifications so I'm going to hang off of giving admissions a call.
    Feeling less anxious now.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kaymh80)
    Thank you for your reply.
    I actually received an email last night asking me to confirm my qualifications so I'm going to hang off of giving admissions a call.
    Feeling less anxious now.
    Glad to hear it!
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE!

The bad news is that we've only got the images on the website at the moment. There will be some coming later but not just yet I am afraid.

What I can tell you is that Firle House opened in Oct 2013, so it is really new and modern and it is very similar in the look and decor to Woodland and Downland, which you can see online. The key difference is that the kitchen and lounge spaces are one bigger space in this building , instead of 2 separate rooms, which makes a nice social space. You would also have access to The Hub building (which I've been to and it's lovely - the food is great too!) These buildings are all on the same site and close together so easy to go between in a couple of mins (or less).

I hope this helps - if you've got any more questions the accommodation team will be happy to help. You can email them via [email protected]

Best Wishes
    Viv

Here's a picture of my room on move-in day of Downland Lodge!- haven't been in Firle before but I think the rooms are blue, from what I can see through the windows!

Name:  IMG_0441.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  461.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    Here's a picture of my room on move-in day of Downland Lodge!- haven't been in Firle before but I think the rooms are blue, from what I can see through the windows!
    Can't see the picture but thanks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE!

Best Wishes
    Viv
    Thanks I just wanted an idea of what it would look like.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Brighton (pharmacy) yet ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't see the picture but thanks anyway.
    Not sure where it went, but it is back now!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.