What career would suit me? Generally struggling with this. Watch

Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Le Nombre)
If you worry about that it should help, but there's no doubt the culture of a big law firm is cut throat and encourages people to both actually work for long hours and put in 'face time', both of which are tiring in their own way. Obviously for some people this is what suits them, but there's no doubt it is a system that can, and does, chew people up and spit them out. Once he's done a VS he should have a better idea.
What's a VS? Yeah and he's a workaholic naturally so I always worry he'll get sucked in and end up burning out
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
What's a VS? Yeah and he's a workaholic naturally so I always worry he'll get sucked in and end up burning out
Vacation Scheme, the work experience placements I imagine he'll be applying for at them moment. There's no doubt that does happen, as it makes you an easy target to dump work on without needing to offer out much external incentive, and there's obviously a lot of external pressure coming from partners, who want to make as much money as possible, to do the work. Some people who are workaholics and perfectionists do adapt and realise neither is conducive to your own success in a law firm, and the latter's likely not to the firm's either. It can be a positive and every corporate sol is to an extent, but if you want to one day be the person calling the shots and making hundreds of thousands it's something you have to temper.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know I won't make a lot of money at the beginning, but it has to be fun. I can't do a job that bores me. I have bipolar and most of the time I'm hypomanic, and if it doesn't hold my interest I'll wonder off and end up doing something else.
You'll be better off freelancing or working for yourself then. No employer would want you walking off each time you get bored. They are paying you to do what they want, not what you feel like doing. Working for yourself means you can walk off when you get bored, but you'll have to do the boring stuff once in a while.
username447608
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to try to set up a portfolio while doing my degree
I think its quite a skill to be able to do make up hair fashion etc so you would definatly do well!
gemmam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to try to set up a portfolio while doing my degree
What things are you planning to do to build up your portfolio? My sister is a qualified make-up artist, she's volunteered doing the make-up for local charity fashion shows and worked with amateur photographers to build hers up. Maybe look out for things like that in your local area if you haven't already?
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know I won't make a lot of money at the beginning, but it has to be fun. I can't do a job that bores me. I have bipolar and most of the time I'm hypomanic, and if it doesn't hold my interest I'll wonder off and end up doing something else.
When you can't afford to eat, you will learn to not be such a lazy person. Or will mummy and daddy bail you out?
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
(Original post by Classical Liberal)
When you can't afford to eat, you will learn to not be such a lazy person. Or will mummy and daddy bail you out?
I'm lazy because I want an enjoyable job?
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm lazy because I want an enjoyable job?
If an enjoyable job consists of working for 3 days a week, yes.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
If an enjoyable job consists of working for 3 days a week, yes.
If I can afford to do that, and am not career focused, why does that make me lazy? Also, why do you feel that I should work full time? Why? Where is the requirement? I don't understand the jumped up nerds on here who feel life is about getting some amazing job.
Holby_fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think some people are trying to say you shouldn't really live on money your parents worked hard for/boyfriend will work hard for when you could easily work just as hard as them and then have your own money. Not everyone has privileges like you and so have to be career focused in order to live a comfortable life.
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I can afford to do that, and am not career focused, why does that make me lazy? Also, why do you feel that I should work full time? Why? Where is the requirement? I don't understand the jumped up nerds on here who feel life is about getting some amazing job.
I think you have to work full time to even get the wages you want. You have no marketable skills and do not have a network of business contacts.

You think being a make up artist is going to cut it? You realise how many girls, just like you, who try to get work in this low demand area. The pay is abysmal because of this. And if you actually get a job in this area, which is unlikely, then you will have to work full time.

If you want to live the life of riley I am afraid you need to slog it out when you are young, or face not actually achieving what you want for the rest of your life.
Carrot_Cake_13
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I honestly don't understand the amount of people calling her lazy...Wth
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
I think you have to work full time to even get the wages you want. You have no marketable skills and do not have a network of business contacts.

You think being a make up artist is going to cut it? You realise how many girls, just like you, who try to get work in this low demand area. The pay is abysmal because of this. And if you actually get a job in this area, which is unlikely, then you will have to work full time.

If you want to live the life of riley I am afraid you need to slog it out when you are young, or face not actually achieving what you want for the rest of your life.
Not necessarily as a lot of jobs are free lance and so there aren't "set hours". Why is it lazy to want to work part time?
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not necessarily as a lot of jobs are free lance and so there aren't "set hours". Why is it lazy to want to work part time?
No, lots of jobs aren't freelance. Not ones that actually pay even the amounts of money that you want.

It is lazy to want to work part time because that means you are working much lower hours than the average person. And most people who work part time are working mums, who are anything but lazy
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
No, lots of jobs aren't freelance. Not ones that actually pay even the amounts of money that you want.

It is lazy to want to work part time because that means you are working much lower hours than the average person. And most people who work part time are working mums, who are anything but lazy
No it isn't lazy. It's just a different preference. Some people are career oriented, some are not, there is nothing wrong with either
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No it isn't lazy. It's just a different preference. Some people are career oriented, some are not, there is nothing wrong with either
Laziness is a preference.

Most people aren't career oriented who work full time. They are: earn enough money to afford bills; rent; fun; food; and children, oriented. They live in this thing called the real world.
Zhy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Become a findom.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
Laziness is a preference.

Most people aren't career oriented who work full time. They are: earn enough money to afford bills; rent; fun; food; and children, oriented. They live in this thing called the real world.
Again it isn't lazy to not be career oriented. So because I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about that, I somehow still should otherwise that makes me a bad person? Sorry no
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Again it isn't lazy to not be career oriented. So because I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about that, I somehow still should otherwise that makes me a bad person? Sorry no
It is lazy to only work 3 days a week, it just is. It has nothing to do with being "career oriented".

It doesn't even matter, you won't get the job you want.
Tyrion_Lannister
Rep:
?
It is lazy to only work 3 days a week, it just is. It has nothing to do with being "career oriented".
It just is isn't an argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads