Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Surely the seat thing is that if somebody doesn't pay for 2 seats yet uses 2 seats, the seat they didn't pay for will have been paid for by somebody else who is expecting to sit there. That's how it works on aeroplanes. So the other person arrives and finds their seat has been partially engulfed, then some kind of bilaterally awkward crushed sharing arrangement occurs where neither party is comfortable - or you can't fit both in. It's not about punishing or humiliating people (although I imagine it would be both to feel you had to buy an extra seat) but about consideration for your fellow human beings. And to be honest also consideration for yourself because the sensation of being crushed goes both ways!

It's hard to think where to stand on obesity. The problem with tolerating it completely is that part of the motivation to lose weight is society's perceived intolerance. And at the end of the day losing weight is always better for that individual (if nothing else, for their health) and also for society (again, health) considering we all stump up for the national bill. So whilst the degree of discrimination can be damaging, it's also damaging to pretend like it's all okay.

Losing weight is difficult and (as mentioned before in this thread) for a minority due to factors beyond their control (although a lot of things like Hypothyroidism can be treated so really that's just about losing any weight gained whilst clinically hypothyroid, unless you're not taking the medication). However it's achievable, and I think it's important for everyone that we encourage it and support people trying to lose excess weight. A lot of the current "love your curves" stuff is fine to an extent, but it also normalises something which it's actually quite dangerous to normalise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fed up with fat people going on about 'thin privilege'. It doesn't exist. All I see is. " real women have curves " and " no one likes to snuggle a stick ".
    My mother blames Gok Wan for "fat is ok". Health wise no it is not ok. Yes you're a person, but it causes you to be jealous of other skinny folk. The evidence of that is plastered all around the internet.
    Fat people always claim that nothing bad happens when you're thin, rubbish. I'm thin and have had several nasty things said to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    I don't have much sympathy for anorexics either. Sorry.
    Do you not have much sympathy for people with other mental health conditions as well?

ReputationRep:
    we shouldn't have anti-discrimination laws; people shouldn't be physically forced to contract with anybody they don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Love how people go around claiming medical conditions are the minority. There are medical conditions and things going on in our bodies that we do not even understand. Its entirely possible that a 'fat gene' does exist. Its entirely possible that anything is possible. Stop pretending you know it all and stop using that as a weapon to attack people who are different.

(Original post by muchoonellykins)
    To be honest, unless it's due to a medical condition, it's your own fault and you don't deserve any sympathy. It's completely absurd and unreasonable to compare it to racism. Harsh but true.
    How do you truly know what causes it? Some medical conditions may be in existence but we do not even know that they exist and the effects they have. You seem to assume that if the NHS hasn't diagnosed them with a medical condition then a medical condition doesn't exist and that therefore, its their own fault. This isn't true. People can have underlying medical conditions that go undetected for years, decades or their whole lives. My grandfather only found out he had a hormone issue in his late 50's. That could have been there for years or developed as he got older. Nobody knows.

(Original post by x-pixie-x)
    I don't buy all this hormonal imbalance stuff either, it's greed and lack of exercise
    So you're openly denying science? Wow, not much point in debating this any further with you.

:erm:

(Original post by JanitaTwain)
    Race, religion and all those other factors cannot be changes. On the other had a person's body mass can easily be altered.
    Not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Love how people go around claiming medical conditions are the minority. There are medical conditions and things going on in our bodies that we do not even understand. Its entirely possible that a 'fat gene' does exist. Its entirely possible that anything is possible. Stop pretending you know it all and stop using that as a weapon to attack people who are different.

How do you truly know what causes it? Some medical conditions may be in existence but we do not even know that they exist and the effects they have. You seem to assume that if the NHS hasn't diagnosed them with a medical condition then a medical condition doesn't exist and that therefore, its their own fault. This isn't true. People can have underlying medical conditions that go undetected for years, decades or their whole lives. My grandfather only found out he had a hormone issue in his late 50's. That could have been there for years or developed as he got older. Nobody knows.

So you're openly denying science? Wow, not much point in debating this any further with you.

:erm:

Not true.
    > eats junk food and drinks coca cola (full sugar)
    > no exercise
    > must be my genetics
    >ok.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quit hating)
    Youre an idiot. Just shut the hell up.
    Youre really dumb
    Dude u are a ****ing *****
    Strong username to post content ratio

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.